Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    More mud pit action.

[​IMG]

I moved to the outside of the curve before the mud pit for a different view.

[​IMG]

This was the same hill used for the Small Bore hill climb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rich and I had discussed how it would be fun to ride this course on our KLX's. Maybe not when it was this muddy. I doubt we would have made it up the hill unless we had serious knobbies.
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It was fun watching grown men play in the mud.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    A few more pics of men playing in the mud.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of these guys were racing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some were just trying to make it around the course.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There is so much to see and not enough time. I headed back up the hill to go watch more road racing. I caught up to Rich and we found a nice spot on a hill overlooking the track and set up our chairs. There was some racing going on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "monkees" on these things definitely get a different view of the track.

[​IMG]

They have to be pretty acrobatic!

[​IMG]

I told Rich he needs to race his Ural next year and get Steve to be his monkey:imaposer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There was a break in the racing. I happened to look to my left. Something was so bright that even at around a hundred yards away it caught my eye. So I zoomed in and took a pic.

[​IMG]

Mo racing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we headed back over to the other side of the park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I walked back over to the vendors section. I tried on some boots at the 6th gear booth. Nice boots, leather, waterproof, comfortable and only $129. I was real tempted but I want something a bit taller so I passed.

Got this pic heading back towards the swap meet section.

[​IMG]

I hung out a while at the MA booth then decided to wander around a bit more.

Look who I ran into!

[​IMG]

It was Stephen @Thinwater and James @jrm927 .

We wandered around and check stuff out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Mo bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After hanging out some more and talking to the great folks at the MA booth it was time to head for home. I would have liked to stay longer but it would be a long day as is was. Grabbed one more pic on the way out.

[​IMG]

After the really long ride home yesterday we decided to just do the interstate this time. Since it was Saturday there should be no rush hour to deal with in Birmingham. I was glad we were going West because there was an accident on the Eastbound lanes that had traffic backed way up. We got on 65 North and were making good time. We passed a vintage car.

[​IMG]

Suddenly traffic slowed to stop and go speeds:dirtdog

Crap!!

Luckily there was an exit not far ahead so we got off. Steve needed gas so we stopped at the gas station at the exit before heading East on a two lane to pick up 31 North. Unfortunately a bunch of vehicles had the same idea so we were soon stuck again:(

Someone started yelling at us from behind:dunno

It was Stephen and James with just one car between us. We got together as a group. The stop and go went on forever....or it seemed that way. Actually it wasn't that bad for me since I didn't have to keep working my clutch:D

[​IMG]

Eventually we got on 31 North, rode it to Cullman and got back on 65.

Cullman:

[​IMG]

We all rode together until Steve and I exited onto I 565.

Stephen must have had that Himalayan pretty much maxed out running around 75 some of the time.

I was worn out when I got home but it was an awesome weekend. I plan on going again next year. Maybe next year I'll stay in the area and do all three days.
    whiskeygut, Chethro, hock2e and 15 others like this.
  9. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I just forget how many classic motorcycles I recall. Older male cousins got me into it as a kid and they owned some of those machines. Honda Dreams and Cubs; 2 stroke Kawasaki’s; RD 350’s, etc.

You’re lucky to be so close to such a weekend.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I am lucky to live where I do for a lot of reasons. Being close to Barber is just one of them. Year round riding is another. Great places to ride nearby and friends to ride with are also great to have.
  11. Thinwater

Thinwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I knew I'd put a smile on your face when I said, "Now I see why you like a scooter." when we were stuck in traffic. With all the wind catching boxes on the Himalayan was close to topped out. It actually was pinned on uphills. If you noticed James would lead set his cruise at 70, then I'd draft on the uphills pinned. Otherwise I'd have fell behind on the hills at that speed, but the knock off of wind drag from drafting makes all the difference. Its a buddy riding system.

I've read your report but will have to wait until I get home to see the pictues.
    JRowland, dp064, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Steve said he wished he was on his Vespa when stuck in that traffic. James also made a comment about me not having a clutch. Scooters do have a clutch, its just that they are centrifugal and don't require any effort from the rider.:D

IMO, the best way to attend the Vintage Festival would be to stay on site or nearby and have a small scooter. Since I had a 110+ mile ride each way the Majesty was a good compromise. It will easily hold 75+ on the interstate and is still small and light enough to maneuver around the festival. Having enough storage for all my stuff was a big bonus as well.
    JRowland, Stubanger, dp064 and 4 others like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It looked like there might be an interesting sunset so I jumped on the scooter at the last minute and checked it out.

Looks promising!

[​IMG]

I found a spot to park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rode further down the road to another spot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Thinwater

Oddometer:
    Your pictures are improving, even though I never thought they lacked anything. I like the night shot with the brake lights all down the road. Nice sunset pics as well. @enginebreak swung by wanting to ride, I had things to do but he really twisted my arm. He had a plan so I followed, up Mcburg Hwy to TN hwy 64 where my Himalayan just cut off! My kickstand safety switch internally failed at 31,150 miles. Luckily all I had to do was unplug it at the wiring harness connector and all was good. I'm soooooooooo glad that didn't happen Saturday night when we were already fighting circumstances. Also that this has been going out for a while, killing the bike on a hard stop, and I think its been robbing me of power at the lugging low rpm's cause It felt really good after unplugging it! Nother chill ride turned Adventure! I just can't shake it.
  15. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    It was good to see you on Friday at Vintage Fest, and that character @2372ighost (Rich), also good to meet @Raptorman (Steve). Wish I could have gone back for Saturday and Sunday!
    2372ighost, JRowland and klaviator like this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Good to see you too! I was there Friday and Saturday but I would have loved to go back on Sunday. Maybe next year I'll stay in the area and get to spend more time there.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    For a different view of the vintage festival, here's a video.

18. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I will simply never understand the point of this insanity except to abuse equipment and tires. Madness.
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    If you are talking about burnouts, I agree. That's not what the video is about. I don't even remember seeing a burnout in the video.
  20. Thinwater

Oddometer:
    Jolene! at 20:46 mark