Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I didn’t click on it and in fact rarely click on ANY video. There are various bike nights around here with assorted burnout contests and such for beer. People cheer when the tire fails after redlining the engine forever. Sheer madness.
  2. zdc1775

zdc1775 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine was just after yours at 20:51.
  3. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Norton Hill at 28.30

Champagne Bob's Norton Racing Team at 34.20.
  4. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    Can’t resist. My apologies for the sidetrack. Presenting the new smile machine.

Attached Files:

5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the Vespa. Sooner or later I'll end up with a Vespa as well and when I do there's a good chance I'll get a white one. Yours looks great:thumb:thumb
    2372ighost, dp064, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  6. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    I’m going to add front and rear racks and in the spring I’ll start a new Day Rides topic thread and share this city and the surrounding region. I’ve been terrified this year with the Roadster because of weight (the bike). I’ve been buzzing around for a few days with an endless smile. Any reservations I may have had are gone. People like you folks here showed me it can be done. Thank you all.
  7. 2372ighost

2372ighost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The “scooter virus “ , when you get it, you like it!!
  8. Stubanger

Stubanger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now thats a sig line for @klaviator
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Another sunset ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be heading out in the morning on the Versys for a street ride up into Tennessee. It will be a group ride but I have no idea how many will show up. It should be a nice sunny day but with a high only in the 60s.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It was time to get out and do a day ride on the Versys. I got on the road around 8. A cold front came through over night and brought a bunch of rain and wind. This morning it was cool and windy but beautiful.

On 72 headed towards Gurley:

[​IMG]

Several riders were already at the Mapco when I got there and more kept rolling in. The most dramatic arrival was Stephen who looked like he had found some adventure getting here.

[​IMG]

I'll let him tell the story.

Klaus @El Vulch wins the most exotic bike prize.

[​IMG]

We had a couple of small dual sport bikes. The TW200 belongs to Tracy @WECSOG who was riding with us for the first time.

[​IMG]

We had nine riders total.

[​IMG]

We headed East on 72 and turned up 65 through Paint Rock Valley. 65 is a great road but it was still wet in spots and had debris on the road from the storms last night. It was still fun but I held it to a comfortable sight seeing pace.:ricky

Stopping to regroup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We continued up 65. Much of this road was in the shade and was wet, dirty and had green moss on it in spots. Needless to say we took it easy. I didn't try to take pics in those areas because my camera just doesn't get good pics while riding if there isn't plenty of light.

[​IMG]

We stopped at the Citgo on 122 and 64 and Don @dp064 was waiting there for us. Klaus decided to take a seat:D

[​IMG]

Then we were off for Lynchburg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We took a break in Lynchburg.

[​IMG]

We could have had lunch there but decided to press on to Delina even though we would arrive right at their busiest time.

129 to Delina was a fun ride. It was pretty windy so I wasn't real comfortable taking one hand off the bars in high speed turns to take pics so I didn't get many pics.

[​IMG]
    Samspade, norton73, zookster and 11 others like this.
  12. Thinwater

Thinwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The
    short version of the story

@enginebreak has been riding with me and asked to do some more challenging stuff dual sporting. So when Klaviator posted this ride I call Enginebreak, "Do you want to leave a couple hours early and offroad over the mountain and drop in at the ride meet at Gurley? " He was all down for it, I warned him that if it stormed the flat top of the mountain could be muddy. He was all in. We did it, the gravel hill climbs were great, it was muddy and I went down hard. Jolene's front end went right out from under me in greased clay with minimal sand in it. The 1/2" surface was monkey snot, from there down was concrete. Jolene's front end went left, I one arm supermanned slightly right on my right side. Enginebreak went down also on his XT225. I do believe I was recording on both occasions. I'll get it up and link to this in the future. When we were picking up muddy bikes Enginebreak asked "Do you think Klaviator will notice when we get there?" I answerd "HECK YEAH He'll Notice!" and he did.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Maybe if you get some brown riding gear no one will notice if you show up all muddy:lol3
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Just in case I haven't posted enough pics of the Old Delina Country Stor, here's one more:D

[​IMG]

There were a few Harley riders there and we talked to them a bit. I was expecting the place to be packed but there was hardly anyone there. I'm glad we brought them some business.

[​IMG]

We had the back room to ourselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting ready to leave.

[​IMG]

A few of the riders were heading home after lunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just had to take this pic:

[​IMG]
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Six of us headed for Ardmore. IMO, the best roads of the day were between Delina and Ardmore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made one final stop in Ardmore before splitting up and heading for home.

[​IMG]

I ended up riding around 200 miles. Thanks everyone who showed up and rode along!
  16. enginebreak

enginebreak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was cool meeting @WECSOG with his TW200, my bike's cousin.
  17. enginebreak

enginebreak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picture didn't load for some reason. Trying again.

Attached Files:

18. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was a beautiful day to ride.. I appreciate you guys letting me tag along and thanks Win for pulling this together! It's also really great to put faces to ADV screen names!
  19. enginebreak

enginebreak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My ride started with me stepping on my glasses in my gravel driveway and having to bend the frame back (the rest of the day was fantastic though). On top of the mountain on the way to Gurley, I noticed my front wheel start wiggling back and forth and thought there was something wrong with my bike. Eventually I realized I was in mud, so I slowed down. That might have been a mistake since as soon as I slowed down, the bike became unstable and I fell over. Or maybe slowing down prevented an inevitable crash from being worse. One of the straps on my tank bag broke but I was able to fix it with a couple zip ties. Today was the first ride I brought zip ties with me...I noticed that @Thinwater used them for a repair on his bike a few days ago and I thought "those look awfully handy" and put some in my toolbox.
    Sorry to be bringing up the rear the whole day and I appreciate everyone waiting for me at turns. I had a blast.
  20. 2372ighost

2372ighost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    no prob!! Gave this old guy a chance to stretch my legs and get blood in my butt!!