Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No need to apologize. Having riders of varying speeds is normal on our rides and we don't mind waiting. We'd much rather wait a few minutes for someone riding within their ability/comfort level than having to wait much longer for an ambulance for someone riding above their ability trying to keep up. I'm glad you could make it. Remember, all of us old "experienced" riders where new riders once upon a time. I for one still remember my early riding days and how exciting they were even if those days go back to over 40 years ago:gerg

Sometimes I miss those days when every ride was an exciting adventure. While I still enjoy riding its just not the same as back when it was all new. Luckily I did a ride report that goes back to those early days in the 60s when I first developed a lust for two wheeled motorized excitement. I occasionally go back and try to relive those days.

My first bike:

[​IMG]

My first trip on a motorcycle:

[​IMG]

My first sportbike:

[​IMG]

For anyone who is interested it's all in my ride report here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/you-only-live-twice.1042598/
  2. dasgaswolf

dasgaswolf bruh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still one of my all-time favorite ADV ride reports. Probably helps that I'm also a career military officer, but the way you weaved in your personal, professional, and riding life was so well done that even today -- several years after reading the RR for the first time -- I can still remember so much of it, particularly all the great vintage riding photos. Superb.
  3. Reconstructed

Reconstructed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My morning routine is to get up, grab some coffee, and check out the "watched" threads on ADVRider. Lately I have been saving this thread and a few others for last because I can count on there being high quality content, consistently. It ends my morning reading on a high note. Keep it up!
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a completely different ride report from all my others. When I considered doing it I really wasn't sure that I had enough pictures to make it worthwhile. As I dug through my old pics it brought back a flood of old memories and forced me to figure out when everything took place. I wish now that I had taken more pics but you can't go back and redo the past.

I'll do my best to keep it interesting. I enjoy posting my rides but I really want to do something different. Too many of my pics are taken in the same places over and over again. I'm hoping for a trip out west next year.

Of course I'll do some of my favorites again next year, dual sporting in Tellico and Maggie Valley, Scooters in Maggie Valley, Little Switzerlan, Saluda, Vintage Festival, local rides. Even though it's hard to get new and different pics doing those rides, I'm still really enjoying them. One problem I see is trying to fit everything in. Even being retired, I still have time conflicts and can't do all the rides I want.

I hope you can make it down to Maggie Valley or one of my other rides next year. Or maybe I need to ride up your way?
    Retro Iron, B10Dave, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  5. Reconstructed

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to the time when I can make it to one of your street rides in the mountains (no dual sport at the moment). About a month ago my brother and I spent a couple days riding around the Deals Gap area. We checked off some of the "tourist" rides in the area, like the Cherohala Skyway loop, of course Deals Gap, the Foothills parkway, 28, and a few more. I was hoping to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, at least to Mt Mitchell, but we ran out of time. It rained non-stop the first day, and until noon the second day, so the pace was very cautious, but I was there to ride, so I just got wet. Next time I make it down I want to spend some time on the BRP, not sure how far I'll go on that, and then I want to start finding all the good non-touristy stuff in the area.

As far as Kentucky is concerned, there are certainly some entertaining roads around this area, but they can't compare to the mountains for the visual "pop". I've been to the Daniel Boone National Forest a few times, but that was just day trips with very young children in the car. As I slowly get more free time I plan to explore there more on the bike, eventually making a route from the Lexington Ky area, south through the DBNF, and ending in Western North Carolina. From there it would be local road exploring, then reverse the trip back home.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I ride over to Allsport today. I've been looking for some street boots. I almost bought a pair at the Vintage festival for $139 but they were a bit shorter than I wanted. Allsport had their Noru gear on sale and I found a pair of boots that fit well and seamed reasonably well made. At 70 bucks they were a steal:wings

[​IMG]

The inventory of new bikes was also up. They had 3 new Himalayans and 2 KLR650s.

[​IMG]

I'll be wearing my new boots when I head up to Ardmore tomorrow morning for a street ride. I'll be meeting a couple of guys from out of the area who want to see some of the local roads. 9:30 (10:00 KSU) at the Shell station if anyone wants to ride along.
  7. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went by today to talk to them about the new 660 Tiger. Not out until February. I'm thinking it might hit the spot. I'd show up in the morning but looks like I will be under my daughters car tomorrow morning.:(
    JRowland, dp064 and klaviator like this.
  8. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_8721.jpg
    Might be the one!
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Not headed for the USA at this time. I don't know if we will ever see it here.
  10. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    upload_2021-10-20_23-22-37.jpeg

She was actually a monkey in the sidecar races

That chair on the Honda monkey is @bk brkr baker s ride

hate I missed ya I rode in sat am & out before dark

As always great pics thx
    Ernbo6, B10Dave, 2372ighost and 5 others like this.
  11. red bud

Oddometer:
    Oh & @Cuttle placed 3rd in her division of the side car race

If I’m gonna claim to know so much about sidecars I need to get one:lol3
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I noticed you got some pics of the redhead as well. I can't believe we didn't run into each other with only around 18,000 people there that day:lol3 Maybe next year.

You got a lot of great pics of the even as well. We took pics of a lot of the same things.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I got a PM on the Motorcycle Alabama Forum from a member who lives in Rainesville. He and a friend from the Chattanooga area were interested in riding with me on some of the roads over this way. We set up a meet in Ardmore yesterday morning. On the way there I noticed a bunch of classic cars on 53. I noticed them before but this time I decided to get some pics.

[​IMG]

I don't know what the deal is with these cars. Private collection? Dealer? There is no sign indicating what this place is. Just a No trespassing sign which I didn't notice until after I pulled in and parked my bike to get some pics.

[​IMG]

No one came out with a shotgun to run me off so I left and headed for Ardmore. When I got there they were waiting for me. We talked a bike and then hit the road.

Bob on a V-strom 650 and Tim on a NC700X (or is it a 750X? I didn't notice which.)

[​IMG]

Normally when it's a street ride I take 110 to Kelly's Creek road because its a smoother ride but at the last second I decided to turn early and take the route I normally take on Dual Sport rides. After all they were on Adventure style bikes and I thought I'd show them the railroad tunnels. There was a training passing overhead when we rode through the tunnels. i got a pic of the second one.

[​IMG]

My route for the morning different from any I have done in the past although I didn't ride any new roads. This might look familiar to those who ride regularly with me.

[​IMG]

It was a beautiful day to ride with temps in the 60s to start and 70s later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We stopped at the Old Delina Country Stor for a break.

[​IMG]

It wasn't open so I planned on a late lunch in Lynchburg although the place I normally eat at there was also closed that day. We headed East and then North and rode, all paved roads although we did do some goat trails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ended up on 129 heading East towards Lynchburg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    While riding I remembered that there was a restaurant in Petersburg that we had ridden by many times. I had never eaten there but decided to give it a try.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We all had burgers and fries. They where good although they didn't have any tomatoes.

We headed through Lynchburg and then my normal route after that. We got stuck behind a car so I turned down a gravel road to this viewpoint I have stopped at many times before on dual sport rides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A big dog came by to say hi.

[​IMG]

We continued on riding by the fish hatchery and then 65 through Paint Rock Valley. We took a break just before 72 and then split up at 72.

[​IMG]

I ended up riding 200+ miles and I know Bob and Tim ride considerably more than that.

Bob and Tim, if you see this, it was nice meeting and riding with both of you and I hope we can do it again some time.
  16. Cuttle

Cuttle Seriously?

Oddometer:
    Yes you do...

Just don't get a racing hack, or you never have time.
  17. red bud

Oddometer:

Great minds think alike:lol3
    JRowland, 2372ighost and klaviator like this.
  18. Mister Fixit

Mister Fixit Think less, ride more

Oddometer:
    Thanks for being our tour guide for the day. Was nice meeting you and we very much enjoyed the ride. I ended up riding just under 300 miles and Tim about 350. I have my route to Ardmore in my GPS so you may see me on a group ride someday. I am a member of this forum too, dating back 10+ years whenI bought an XR650L that I sold 3 years later. I need to get a mod to change my user name since BobinCT doesn’t live in CT any more.
    strommonster, JRowland and klaviator like this.
  19. Reconstructed

Oddometer:
    I started off with a different name as well. If I recall correctly, when they change your name, you lose your post count, if that matters to you. Since it's only 18 posts in 8 years, I don't think it will matter that much.
    2372ighost and klaviator like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Here's the thread for getting your user name changed: https://advrider.com/f/threads/username-change-thread.946163/

You might have to wait a bit to change your name as per the rules or at least post a few more times:

5. If you just joined ADV, you must live with your username for three months and have at least 25 posts prior to requesting a name change. Maybe it'll grow on you or maybe you'll find ADV is not for you and move on. Such requests will be ignored.
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.