Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. FenceJumper09

FenceJumper09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pictures and looks like a wonderful ride, I can't wait to retire (in 35 yrs)

Hope Darwin heals up quick!
    klaviator likes this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    We started off Tuesday by heading about 5 miles down the road for breakfast.

[​IMG]

The food and service was great and prices reasonable. Great place for breakfast:dukegirl

A couple pics if the inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The it was back to the campground where I was not looking forward to packing up my wet stuff. While there I ran into another inmate who was there for some dualsport riding. It was @ineptizoid
    It's always great to meet other active inmates.

So we finally got packed up and on the road. Took this on the way out.

[​IMG]

The weather forecast was was crappy with a high chance of thunderstorms. We decided to make it a short day to Little Switzerland. We took a route to allow us to visit someplace Steve wanted to see.

[​IMG]
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what was this place? Lets take a tour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the Sierra Nevada brewery in Hendersonville. We did the self guided touur but they do have guided tours.

The have a restaurant there. We both got wings but mine were better.

[​IMG]

These were some of the best wings I have ever eaten.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leaving the brewery.

[​IMG]

After that we got on the interstate for a bit. Shortly after getting off the sky started getting real dark so we put on our rain gear. It didn't take long before we were in a nasty thunderstorm. We pulled into a gas station and waited a bit before continuing. We rode out of the rain in a few minutes but the roads were all wet. We got to the Big Lynn lodge shortly after 3. We had not stayed here before but they have a special during the week. Room, full dinner and breakfast for 2 for 100 bucks a night. This place is right off of the BRP on 226A and sits right at the edge of the mountain. The view is great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dinner that night was good. I took some pics of the main lodge. This place is old but really cool.

This is a lounge with a puzzle on the big table and a small library and of course a great view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dining room.

[​IMG]

Mo pics of the view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also got an update on Darwin. They decided to go to a Hospital in Asheville where he is waiting for surgery to put a rod in his leg.

Our plan for today was to head up and ride the "snake" and some other roads in that area but the forecast calls for rain starting around noon so we'll probably do a local loop and then come back to the lodge where we will be staying another night.
  6. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahh, Sierra Nevada brewery, now you're talkin'. I may try to get by there when/if I'm in the area next week.

May be too late since you guys are in Little Switzerland now, but if you're near Waynesville again and are looking for breakfast, the Trailhead Cafe & Bakery has great breakfast and lunch. I ate breakfast there every day while we were in Waynesville last year. We stayed at the Oak Park Inn as well, which was a decent little moto-friendly motel within walking distance of all the good restaurants in downtown Waynesville.

Tentative plan is to head to NC next week. Not sure where I'll be staying, thought about maybe Franklin and spending more time in the area between Tellico and Asheville, but I may also swing up to Little Switzerland for a day. Or I may stay in Waynesville or Maggie Valley. Plans are pretty fluid at the moment, I'll likely be by myself, alls I know is I need to get to the mountains...
    klaviator and norton73 like this.
  7. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    Skirted thunderstorms a few weeks back while staying at cabin near Gatlinburg with pals (pirates) I rode with in the 70's/80's in Ohio. Very cool destination for sure!
    IMG_2018-06-27_07-09-42.jpeg IMG_2018-06-27_07-09-27.jpeg
  8. FenceJumper09

FenceJumper09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yessir! Sierra Nevada is next level when it comes to breweries! It is a much larger operation than anything in Alabama and the brewery experience blows anything we have away!
    norton73 and klaviator like this.
  9. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    And the place (bar) was packed at 11:15 am on a Tuesday!
    klaviator likes this.
  10. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    The forecast for today (Wednesday) called for thunderstorm starting after noon then rain for hours. We came up with a new plan to ride for a few hours then head back. Breakfast is served here from 7:30 to 9:00. I headed over a bit early to work on my laptop in the lounge.

The people who stay here have been real friendly and we have talked to many of them. Here we are talking to some of our "neighbors in the lounge.

[​IMG]

Time for breakfast.

[​IMG]

Breakfast was great.

[​IMG]

Then we suited up and headed North on the BRP. It was a beautiful morning but the road was still wet in shady areas. It was still a great ride.

We stopped for some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little later we got to our next stop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We went for a short hike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used my zoom for this pic.

[​IMG]

Steve taking a selfie.

[​IMG]
  11. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then we headed back the way we came. We rode the BRP until we got to 80. We rode down the good part of 80 then turned around and rode it back up. This is a fantastic road with curves that match pretty much anything out there. Despite all the rain it was in pretty good shape and the pavement is great.

Then it was back on the BRP to 226A which we rode down and back up. Another fantastic road:ricky:ricky:ricky:ricky

It looked like we would have a little time before train started and Steve wanted to ride 226 which we rode yesterday when it was wet. So Steve led the way down and back up. This road is like Blood mountain with great curves and 2 lanes coming up.

Not many riding pics today. I only got one.

[​IMG]

Then we rode to Spruce pine where we got gas and stopped at Subway. We then rode back to the motel getting there a few minutes before the rain began. It was perfect timing. We got to ride around 100 fantastic miles and didn't get wet.

Lunch with a view!

[​IMG]

That's probably it for riding today. If we have to be stuck somewhere in the rain this is a great place to be. Tomorrow we will head to Maggie Valley. Mark had prepaid for their rooms there through Expedia and couldn't get a refund so he offered us their room for Thursday and Friday since they won't be using it.

So we have three days of riding left with an improving forecast, especially Friday and Saturday.
  12. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The first time I did 80 I was thinking, "Holy cow, this is a state highway???"

It was like one of those little vomit coasters at the county fair. Also, they were doing paving, and there was strategically placed pea gravel in random corners, right in the "good line".
  13. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    80 has been given the name "the Devil's Whip" by whoever names all these roads. 226A is just as intense as 80 and is known as "Diamondback". You can buy a T shirt in Little Switzerland. Both 80 and 226A where in pretty good shape so we had a lot of fun riding them.

The Big Lynn lodge turned out to be one of the best places I have ever stayed at. The rooms where old and not exactly luxurious but everything else about the place was just outstanding. The view was fantastic and kept changing due to the clouds.

[​IMG]

They had some outdoor games like horse shoes and corn hole. Steve taught me how to play corn hole and then wooped my ass. Here's a couple playing horseshoes.

[​IMG]

Everyone there was just super friendly and we met a lot of interesting people. We talked to a couple of Harley riders from Canada. One of them mentioned he was originally from Europe. I asked where and he said Poland. So I mentioned that my son was currently living there in the small town of Slupsk. So he replied that his wife's mother was from Slupsk. What a small world.

The Big Lynn Lodge gets a lot of customers on motorcycles so they put up this sign:

[​IMG]

Of course the best thing about this place is it's location. I could easily spend a week riding all the fantastic roads in the area. I plan on going back there again.
  14. norton73

norton73 drinkin'

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna have to remember this place. Looks like a good location to base out of for some good riding. Of course, I'd better remember the name, my wife's name is Lynn.
    klaviator likes this.
  15. tobyone

tobyone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad your out of the Hot/Humid down here. I missed my spring trip to the mtns this year
    Heading back to ride the dirt devil in Tenn. this weekend if I can stand the heat in camp!
    zookster, norton73 and klaviator like this.
  16. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not looking forward to getting back in the heat. Heat has not been an issue this week. I wore a light jacket under my mesh jacket for today's ride.
    Heatery and norton73 like this.
  17. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:

I highly recommend this place. The special rate for 100 bucks for room and meals is for Sun-Wed nights. The meals were excellent and the dining room has a fantastic view as did our room. When you consider what you would be spending on meals this is a bargain.
    Heatery and norton73 like this.
  18. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where are ya'll staying in Maggie Valley?

Also, is the pancake place still open?
  19. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    After checking the weather this morning we decided to loop around to the north and into Maggie Valley. This looked like our best bet to stay dry. I took some more pics of the lodge before leaving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was gloomy as we headed south on the BRP then started to sprinkle a bit. We went north on 80 then west on 19E and then north on 19W. 19W is a fantastic road but it was wet. The rain stopped and we never did put our rain suits on.

We rode a lot along rivers which were all raging from all the rain.

[​IMG]

It was gloomy and the roads were wet but still an enjoyable ride.

[​IMG]

There was some interesting stuff along the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were some tight curves but I wasn't taking pictures while riding them.

[​IMG]
  20. norton73

norton73 drinkin'

Oddometer:
    Smokey Mountain Meadows Campground is closed due to flooding. The NC Canoe Club was supposed to do their Week of Rivers Annual Camp there starting Saturday. They are looking for a new location, last I heard Nelson's Campground over by the Nantahala Gorge.