Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:

Great shot Wyn!

We don't get that much green out here in SoCal. Why you showing so much shoreline? Normal or some kind of lack of precip? Compared to Lake Mead & Lake Powell, you're in good shape I'd say.

Love your 'ol gen KLR!!
    Heatery and klaviator like this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that shoreline is normal. That lake level is controlled by a dam and I think they normally vary the lake level on purpose.
    Heatery and sealsam like this.
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like I'll be doing some riding this weekend. I'm thinking of riding down to Max Motorsports on Saturday to check out some scooters. On Sunday I'll be joining a group headed to the junkyard Dog Restaurant in TN. Now I just have to decide which bike(s) to ride. I'm figuring the Versys on one and Majesty on the other....just don't know which I'll take on what ride:hmmmmm
    Heatery, sealsam, zookster and 2 others like this.
  4. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be careful not catch the orange flu at Max. They certainly have the best selection in Alabama.
    Heatery and merc16 like this.
  5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Midway has a pretty good selection and I haven't caught the Orange flu despite going there finally often.
    Heatery, sealsam and gulfcoaster like this.
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a rainy morning it eventually cleared up so I rode the Majesty down to Max Motorsports in Pelham in the afternoon.

[​IMG]

I checked out the Like 150i which is the leading contender for my next small scooter.

[​IMG]

Yes it's a little small for 6 foot two me but I like small, lightweight scooters.

I also checked out the Xciting 400. If I didn't already have the Majesty then I would be seriously considering this scooter.

[​IMG]

They also had the Like150 in red but I think I prefer the white one.

[​IMG]

On the ride home I got off the interstate for a while.

[​IMG]

One last pic just before I got home.

[​IMG]

I'll be heading out in the morning for another ride. Forecast is for temps in the 30s to start the day....Brrrrrrrrr. Highs in the 50s. It was 90 degrees about two weeks ago!
    Heatery, black 8, Stubanger and 5 others like this.
  7. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice ride. I always like the off the interstate rides although they always take longer.

Hope that scoot has a good heater. :lol3
    If I could keep my feet and fingers warm, I wouldn't mind so much riding in the cold. Not so great circulation gets them cold pretty quick and easy.
    Heatery likes this.
  8. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since i rode the Majesty yesterday I went with the Versys this morning. Cold? No problem. I have an electric vest. Except that I couldn't find it this morning:dirtdog So I left without it. I just bundled up. It didn't feel that cold when I took my dog for a walk. I mean how cold could it be. 36 degrees is four degrees above freezing right?

It was OK for about 20 minutes then the cold set in. It was a hour and 20 minute ride to the meetup place in Cherokee, Alabama. I stopped once and walked around for about 5 minutes to warm back up. When I got to the Exxon where we were meeting the pumps were out of order so I back tracked to get gas.

The rest of the group started out in Hamilton.

[​IMG]

After a short break we headed off. The Natchez Trace Parkway was less than a mile down the road. We headed north on it to Collinwood, TN where we got off and took back roads to Howenwald, TN. I took a few pics on the go.

Crosssing the TN river on the Trace.

[​IMG]

The next few pics were on 99 which is a really fun and curvy road. My pics don't do it justice.

[​IMG]

The leaves were starting to change.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although the ride leader was on a big, heavy Yamaha Venture and his wife on a Spyder, we were riding at a fun pace.

[​IMG]
    Heatery, B10Dave, gulfcoaster and 3 others like this.
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lunch was at the Junkyard Dog in Howenwald.

[​IMG]

Most of the group had never ridden with Donny, the ride leader before. The way they were talking you would think we had just done a lap of the Isle of Mann at racing pace. I'm used to riding with old guys on big, heavy bikes who can run a fun pace on curvy roads. I guess these guys weren't.

Lunch was good and this is a pretty cool place. I recommend it if you are in the area.

[​IMG]
    Heatery, B10Dave, gulfcoaster and 4 others like this.
  10. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just so I can get in one of the pics, one more at lunch with me in it.

[​IMG]

After lunch we headed south on 99 then left on 241 which turned out to be a fun road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Heatery, EZMoney, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  11. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice sir. I went for a short ride on the Desert Sled yesterday afternoon. It was down right cold!
    Heatery and klaviator like this.
  12. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    It certainly was cold. Keep in mind we were further North. The guys from Hamilton said the temperature dropped as they rode north.

Continuing on with the ride. I still had a ways to go to get home. 241 crossed the Natchez Trace and the rest of the group got on the Trace. I continued on 241. 241 was a nice ride up to that point but got flatter and straighter after that. It wasn't a bad road but certainly not great. So I got off on 240 then turned onto 242. Mostly flat farmland but with occasional curves. It was a nice sunny day and not nearly as cold as earlier. I'm guessing mid 50s. I ended up hitting 64 in Lawrenceburg which I got on and headed east.

I quickly got bored of being on a 4 lane road and turned off on a side road that headed south. Then I zigged and zagged alternately heading that appeared to be south or east. I wandered tiny little back roads for what seemed like hours. I had no idea where I was or where I would come out. It really wasn't that long but it always seems that time passes more slowly when I am lost:scratch I was expecting to come out on 72 and follow that east. I ended up on 166 which I followed into Alabama where it became 127 which goes to Athens.

It ended up being an interesting ride through "banjo music" country. I did take a few pics but they don't do justice to how narrow, rough, twisty and hilly most of these roads were. Very few of the roads had any lines and certainly no center line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ended up riding somewhere between 250 and 300 miles. This ride reminded me of how much good riding Tennessee has and that I need to spend more time exploring it.

I don't have any future rides planned as of right now but if the weather is OK next weekend I'll either go for a ride or maybe head down to max Motorsports and ride the Like 150i.
    Heatery, EZMoney, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  13. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently sold a xciting 250r (same frame) and was not pleased with the ergonomics for my 5'11 self... It fit my brother nicely at 5'8
    Heatery likes this.
  14. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of my best rides are when I have no clue where I'm at.
  15. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    It certainly makes it more of an adventure. If I had a GPS it wouldn't have been as much of an adventure. I did look at google maps today and now I have a better idea of where I was although I doubt I could retrace my route exactly.
    Heatery likes this.
  16. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't have to look at the GPS until you're ready to find your way out :D

And the other nice thing is that route that you doubt you could retrace is stored in the GPS, so you can! Google maps on a smart phone will do that as well, if you turn on location tracking.

Being directionally dyslexic myself, GPS/Google Maps opened up a whole new way to go "exploring" for me. I just ride around taking roads I've never been on before, only occasionally looking at the GPS, until it's time to go home, then select "Go Home" and follow the turn by turn instructions on the screen. Also, with the motorcycle focused GPS units, you sometimes get really cool routes that it devises to get you home.
    B10Dave and norton73 like this.
  17. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    While everything you just posted makes perfect sense, I just keep procrastinating getting a GPS and learning how to use it so until I do, I'll keep using "adventure" as my excuse:dunno I'm sure once I get a GPS I'll kick myself for not getting one sooner. My plan is to replace my prehistoric smart phone this winter with a newer one and getting a good GPS app and learning how to use it.
    B10Dave likes this.
  18. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My dad had never used a GPS before (at least a commercial travel GPS), despite being one of the smartest engineers I know, but I loaned him my $50 old Garmin Nuvi when we went up separately to Asheville this Summer. I gave him the quick 10 minute tutorial, loaded in some routes, and figured that an hour into the trip he would have had issues and resorted back to prehistoric paper maps.

Well, as it turns out, he loved it. He couldn't stop talking about how useful it was being solo and driving. He said the nice lady just told him where to go, and he did, and lo and behold she was right. Instant convert.

I left out the part about the time that GPS unit lost its damn mind and tried to route me through murderville somewhere in Birmingham....
    ultrasheen likes this.
  19. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use the GPS on my phone, or my wife's, sometimes when driving but have yet to use it on a bike. I also use GPS every time I fly. I'm not sure I'd remember how to navigate without it.

One problem I can see with GPS is that it would be tempting to see where a road went before going down it. That would take the mystery out of it or I might just skip it see that it was a dead end. I have come across some pretty cool stuff on dead end roads. Of course I could just turn it off until I'm ready to head for home.

One time I went exploring in the Coosa Wildlife management area. The place is a maze of dirt roads and trails. I went in there and couldn't find my way back out. I was concerned with running out of gas and daylight. GPS would have been nice to have then although I did eventually find my way out.
  20. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't completely trust the GPS though. I had a GPS moment a couple weeks ago. Was taking my son to see a friend that moved to a small outlying community about 40 miles away. We put the address in and set it to give driving directions. It ran us up and down every little pig path side road it could find. Finally at 10:00pm, depositing us on this little lane and a half wide road where it says stop, you have arrived at your destination. Not the right street name, no houses around. Then, it said to walk southwest 150 yards to arrive at your destination which would have put us in the middle of a cow pasture way after dark out in the woods. Zoomed out and found that the road we should have been on was about 1/4 mile from where it told us to turn. Went back out and up and turned on the right road, there was the house. GPS was still telling us to walk out into the middle of somebody's pasture. When we got there, he said he forgot to tell us the GPS would put us in the middle of a pasture and what to do when it did that to get to his house.
    klaviator likes this.