Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You continue to kill it with the reports from the south Wyn. Loving the pics of the foliage and green, something we don’t see a lot of out here in the west.

I did think of you yesterday with our normal stop at Dudley’s. With a get way house in Borrego Springs now, this has become a regular stop for my wife and I. Thanks for the heads up on this place!

IMG_0478.jpg

Attached Files:

Heatery, black 8 and klaviator like this.
  2. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thought about you while at Wal-Mart last night. Now they’re in the scooter business. That’s my 14 year old man child posing on it. IMG_7739.JPG
    Heatery and EZMoney like this.
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be a good way to help your son learn to become a mechanic:D
    Heatery likes this.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sam. If I lived out there I'd still be using Dudley's as an excuse to go for a ride: "We're out of bread honey, see you in about 7 hours." I'd probably take a route through Julian and stop for some hot apple pie Ala Mode:dukegirl
    Heatery and eaglescan like this.
  5. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    Heatery likes this.
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    41 degrees with predicted lows in the mid 20s for the next couple of nights, Brrrrrrr! I'm already looking forward to spring and warmer temps. Cold or not I still need to get my minimum daily requirement of two wheeled therapy. First ride was to get some gas.

[​IMG]

There's still some color left in the trees, well some of them. I took a ride to Wally World and thought the contrast in the color of these three trees was interesting.

[​IMG]
    popscycle, Heatery, EZMoney and 7 others like this.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are those Wally World scooters branded Coleman? I see the lantern logo on the front.
    Heatery likes this.
  8. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heatery, B10Dave and zookster like this.
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fall is winding down and a long a dreary winter is what follows. Yeah, I know you guys up north are laughing. What do we know about about winter in Alabama? I guess it's all relative and what you are used to. I have lived in the great white north (Ohio, Michigan, Maine) so I do understand what real winters are like. But now I'm spoiled and I'm used to riding nearly every day. After not riding for around 48 hours and a couple of nights with lows in the 20s, yesterday was a beautiful sunny day. As soon as the temperature got up to 35 degrees I jumped on the Kymco and headed out trying to catch some Fall colors before they are all gone. So I headed down to the Tennessee River and took a bunch of pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still love the styling of my Kymco. Three of my favorite bikes have had a black & red color scheme. (EX500, KLR650 and the Super 8)

[​IMG]

I'm going to have a tough time letting this bike go but I expect to replace it soon.

[​IMG]

If not for the bright sunlight these leaves would be a dull brown.

[​IMG]

There's a few days of rain and gloomy weather ahead so I don't expect to be doing much riding.
    popscycle, Heatery, zookster and 6 others like this.
  10. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear your riding will be limited. So since I am a nice guy, I will be riding for you in Borrego Springs and the mountains. I also can go to Julian for PIE, what kind do you like?
    I will be meeting your friend , Black 8 in Jan. and now I see Sam goes to BS too, so maybe meet him.
    I first saw your reports when following Heatery's stuff, how is he doing, have not seen any action from him?
    Thanks for the great picture and stories.
    Heatery, black 8 and klaviator like this.
  11. merc16

merc16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing the 8's replacement. !
    Heatery likes this.
  12. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have fun riding and post some pictures. As for pie, I love many kinds of pie but when I think of Julian I think of hot apple pie ala mode.

It's interesting seeing so much being posted about Borrego Springs. I don't remember much being there back when I live in SoCal. It was just a hole in the wall we passed through on rides. I don't remember ever stopping there. I guess it must have really grown. The other thing is that I was purely a street rider back then as were my friends. We passed through BS coming or going on the Montezuma Grade. Adventure bikes where barely getting started at the time with the BMW R100GS and KLR650 being new bikes at the time. I can see why the area would attract adventure and dual sport riders I'll have to check it out when I come back out there.

As for Heatery, I'm not sure whats going on. No activity on his thread for a month and a half......well until a few minutes ago when I gave the thread a little bump.

A pic from the Montezuma grade "back in the day" - mid to late 80s

[​IMG]
    Ernbo6, Spicciani2, Heatery and 5 others like this.
  13. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    great throwback pic klav... I just discovered BS as a new playground...
    Heatery likes this.
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    eaglescan, Heatery and black 8 like this.
  15. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    eaglescan, Heatery and klaviator like this.
  16. Heatery

Heatery Worry free by mile 3.

Oddometer:
    It's always interesting to ride where cell coverage ends.
    klaviator likes this.
  17. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Normally when I go out for a long ride I put my phone in airplane mode or turn it off to save the battery. It is a 5 1/2 year old phone so the battery isn't exactly new. When I get back home I turn it back on. I generally have no idea whether or not I have cell phone coverage during my rides.

I am starting to look at cell phones and carriers as I will be upgrading phones and possibly switching carriers. I currently have Verizon and have been pretty happy with them but it's worth looking around. Trying to figure out how much phone I need is going to be a challenge as there are so many choices out there and the prices really vary a huge amount.
    Heatery likes this.
  18. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    72 and sunny today so.................

[​IMG]

I keep telling myself I need to sell this bike to make room for a new and smaller dual sport but I'm still enjoying riding the nearly 14 year old KLR.
    Heatery, popscycle, black 8 and 5 others like this.
  19. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had the great weather we were supposed to get here, but it never happened. Send some up to Va Klav! Beautiful pic BTW
    Heatery and klaviator like this.
  20. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

As for the weather, blame the weather man:D We have been on a real weather roller coaster here. 72 on Sunday, lows in the 20 later this week. I'm already looking forward to spring.
    Heatery and MYUMPH like this.