Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    I was able to log over 200 miles yesterday and wasn’t more than 40 miles from house. Hit a lot of nice farm roads south of Boaz that turned to dirt half way up the mountain. Forgot phone so no pics. Awesome weather and probably my last long ride until summer.
    Heatery likes this.
  2. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been waiting for spring since the temp went below 70 for more than a few hours. Can't stand cold.
    Heatery likes this.
  3. ultrasheen

ultrasheen vox nihili Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll tell you, I was thankful for 72 degrees!

I was having a really bad day. Family, work, etc. Just sometimes, something's got to give...

I had to go to Walgreen's. Threw on the helmet and the jacket and boots, and that two minute trip ended up as a 30 minute attitude adjustment. Just enough.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never explored that area.......one of these days I will. I expect that there will be the occasional nice day over the winter good enough for a day ride.
    Heatery likes this.
  5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    My tolerance for cold has decreased with age but I have gotten better at dressing for it. I'm good for a long ride down into the 50s and short ride into the 30s. Occasionally my commute home from work is in the 20s but it's a real short commute.

I still like the change in seasons and the colors that go with it. I just wish that winter was shorter. A week long winter would be just about right to help us appreciate the other seasons:D
    Heatery and BuckeyeDoug like this.
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I pretty much ride anytime I need to run an errand. It may only be around 10 minutes each way but it still helps prevent PMS.:ricky
    Heatery and Stubanger like this.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes Win; a week of winter would do just fine. I think it will be a long time before "climate change" will get us there though.
    Heatery and klaviator like this.
  8. Heatery

Heatery Worry free by mile 3.

Oddometer:
    Having a company vehicle that i am expected to take home really cuts out my ride time. Once i get home, i am home. I live in the sticks. I generally get one day a week. My wife and life get the other. I try my best to ride even in cold weather. Just purchased some hippo hands. Hope the rain holds off. Cold or rain but not both.
    zookster and Ernbo6 like this.
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had some times in my life where I normally only rode about one day a week. It really depended what my commute was like. In Michigan and Maine I never commuted to work. Other places like California and Florida I commuted by bike a lot. Looking back though, there was never a time or place where I rode as often as I have since moving to Huntsville. Part of that is due to my location but much of it is due to getting a small scooter. During times when the was something wrong with my S-8 and I couldn't ride it I was much more likely to take the cage. I rarely use my motorcycles for commuting or running errands and even the Majesty doesn't beg to be ridden like my Kymco does. While I have owned a few bikes (4 to be exact) on which I rode more miles than my Kymco, I know I did not ride any of them nearly as often. I expect that the Kymco's replacement will be the same.

Today was a Gloomy day, 42 degrees and the roads were still wet. I needed some groceries so it was an excuse to take the Kymco for a ride. If I only had motorcycles I would have taken the cage.
    Heatery and MYUMPH like this.
  10. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to get my first scooter soon. Been lurking for a while. Almost got a Baby Burgman 200, but couldn't get a suitable trade on my VV and then the dealer up and sold it-the thing had been sitting there collecting dust since 2014 with zero interest, then I try to get it and then it sells. A different dealer near me has a Kymco Like 150 in Gray with the Burgundy seat, but I'm not sure about the small tires. I never realized scooters could be taken where you have done so, and that's what I want to be able to do. I think the tires on the Like 150 are smaller than on your S8?
  11. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    My S-8 has 14" wheels, the Like has 12" wheels. I wouldn't worry about the smaller wheels. I had a guy on a vintage Vespa with 10" wheels come on a dual sport ride with me. You can read about that here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/full...-the-rocket-city.647784/page-64#post-32922030

I'm seriously considering replacing the S-8 with a Like 150i. If not it will be an Smax with 13" wheels. The reason you can take a small scooter some many places is because it's so small, light and easy to handle. If the going gets too rough you can easily turn around. Limited suspension, as much as the smaller wheels means that you will never be able to ride a scooter as fast off the pavement as you would a dual sport bike. I haven't ridden a Like 150 so I don't know how the suspension compares to the S-8. I do know it has a lot more power, bigger gas tank and weighs about the same.

I think the B200 has 13" front and 12" wheels. It would be more capable on the road, especially if you want to get on the interstate than the Like. It's also much heavier and would be more of a handful if you want to get off the pavement. I think it's a great scooter. The B200, Like 150i or Smax would all be great choices.
  12. MYUMPH

Oddometer:
    Yeah, for the money you can't beat it, it would seem. On sale (which it has been for quite a while), for $1,893 which ends up around $2,500 OTD. In the city(Richmond, Va) you see lots of 50cc scooters running around, but I'm about 30 miles West, and in the "country", where you don't see them. I volunteer at the local animal shelter several days a week to walk the lonely doggies, it's only 2 miles from my house. I would ride my bicycle but it's a narrow twisty road that most folks drive way too fast, and you risk getting run over. The scoot would be great for that, and like you've stated, the motorcycles just sit here! But I'd also like to take some epic trips like you do with a scooter as well. I think the Like weighs around 260ish?
    Heatery likes this.
  13. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:

Claimed dry weight is 264. I think the S8 is 267. The Like has a 1.8 Gal tank vs 1.3 for the S8 and should get better mileage. The fuel filler on the Like is not under the seat like the S8. The Like would be a much better scooter to take trips on. It will also be a great commuter. I think the underseat storage is bigger than the S-8 as well. I'll also put a slightly bigger tail box on it which will make it much more convenient for running errands.
    Heatery likes this.
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something else to consider if you are concerned about small wheels. A couple rode Honda Groms with wheels from NYC to the West Coast via the TAT. https://advrider.com/f/threads/tat-2018-honda-grom-edition.1324638/

Groms have 12" wheels.
    Heatery likes this.
  15. MYUMPH

Oddometer:
    I wonder what Kymco will offer for 2019. I will probably wait until after the first of the year to do anything.
    Heatery likes this.
  16. MYUMPH

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I "followed" the kiwi groms, for some reason I've gotten sick of chain maintenance, seems the VV needs adj way too often.
  17. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kymco introduced several new models the last couple of years. I haven't heard any rumors of anything new for 2019. I'll be surprised if they have anything new except for maybe bringing in the Like with a TFT screen.
    Heatery likes this.
  18. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think a small motorcycle like a Grom would be a blast to ride but a small scooter is also a blast to ride and much more practical. I couldn't see using something like a Grom for all the errands and commuting I do on my S8. I really like the new Honda Monkey bike but it's no more practical than a Grom.

I just brought up the Groms to show that 12" wheels are plenty capable of handling most types of riding.
  19. Heatery

Heatery Worry free by mile 3.

Oddometer:
    I think what stops me the most is ATGATT. ATGATT is necessary for a scooter as well as a bike. When i was younger gear was not even a thought. There just wasn't any to be had. Now, it is hard to say......nah, I don't need it.
  20. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have gear that is pretty convenient and easy to get on and off. It's a little less protective than the gear I would wear on a long ride but it's worth the trade off for convenience. Since I ride so often I have gotten pretty good at getting in and out of my gear quickly. One big advantage of a scooter is that I don't have to haul all that gear around with me when I get somewhere. My helmet and gloves go in the tail trunk and overpants under the seat of my S8. On my Majesty I can get all that stuff and my jacket into the 56L tail box. Whatever small scooter I get will have a bit more storage space than the S8.