Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Trucker jay

Trucker jay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Richmond VA has/had a real good dealer there over the years heard nothing but good things about them but can't remember the name somebody will know it in battle scooters.
  2. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    MotoRichmond perhaps the dealer you are speaking of? Heard nothing but good things about them.
  3. Trucker jay

Trucker jay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think that's it
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the rain ending and temperatures climbing into the 50s there was no way that I would NOT got for a ride today. I headed east of Huntsville and got on some back roads.

No more fall colors left.

[​IMG]

I rode up Keel mountain from the West side which is an extremely steep, rough and twisty road. The KLR is by far the best bike I have for this road. Cruising along once up on Keel mountain I noticed a spot with a nice viewpoint that I have never noticed before.

[​IMG]

Going down the East side Keel mountain is also steep, rough and twisty but not as much as the West side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wandered around on some back roads hoping to find my way over to Grant. It seems that every time I have done this in the past I ended up in New Hope and today was no exception. Maybe someday I'll get a GPS and figure it out:dunno

I stopped by one of my favorite picture spots and took a few pics. Here's a couple. The bike is in the same spot for both pics but the angle from which I took the pics made a big difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got home a little before dark with 110 miles on the Odometer.
    norton73, bomose, Heatery and 7 others like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It was a nice day for a drive down to max motorsports today. They had a lot more scooters on the floor than last time. Pretty much every model of Kymco and Vespa and some Piaggio's as well.

[​IMG]

Notice an empty space between the grey and red Kymco 150i's?

[​IMG]

It seems the white one was moved outside so someone could ride it:hmmmmm

[​IMG]
    sealsam, norton73, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    That someone would be me. I took a nice ride a few miles long on Some back roads as well as some city traffic. I'll post my impressions later but for now I'll just say that I liked it enough to make them an offer. They accepted my offer and started the paperwork. I asked about a discount on anything I bought with the scooter and they told me 20%. I got a quart of oil and then looked around. They had some Joe Rocket lithium battery power gloves that fit me well. I have been looking for something like this but hadn't seen one in a store. Gloves is one of those things I need to try on so buying online was not something I wanted to do.

I have to say all the people I dealt with at Max were great. It was a very pleasant experience buying from them. There was no pressure. They asked me if I wanted an extended warranty but no pressure to buy. Once the paperwork was done I rode around some more before loading up and heading home.

[​IMG]
    Stubanger, sealsam, norton73 and 5 others like this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After I got home it was time for some more pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    popscycle, Stubanger, sealsam and 7 others like this.
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Certainly bought yourself a nice Christmas present. Now you have to get a realllllllyyyyyy special one for the Mrs. :nod
    Heatery likes this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Time to ride some more. I headed down to the Tennessee river to get some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I headed to Wally World for a few groceries. Until I get a top case for this scooter It won't be nearly as convenient as it could be. I'll be getting one as soon as possible, probably a 39L Givi.

For those of you unfamiliar with this Scooter, it's a 2018 Kymco Like 150i. It's got a 4 valve, fuel injected 150cc engine. Claimed power is 13.5 vs 10.3 for the S8 and 14.8 for the Smax. Performance is somewhere between those two. It also has disc brakes with ABS front and rear. MSRP is $2599.
    Stubanger, Heatery, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I already did and it's more expensive. She flew to Poland to visit our son and new granddaughter. That would make me a grandfather. Now I really feel old:gerg
    Samspade, popscycle, TrashCan and 7 others like this.
  11. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the first time Grandpa Win.
    norton73, Heatery and klaviator like this.
  12. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    It was a beautiful day for a ride. I headed north to get some lottery scratch-offs for stocking stuffers. Stopped and chatted with Frank Smith on the status of his country mansion. Then found something for me too....tis the season! Logged 125 miles.
    IMG_2018-12-23_08-39-40.jpeg
    norton73, Heatery and klaviator like this.
  13. Heatery

Heatery Worry free by mile 3.

Oddometer:
    I took a close look at those when I got Gretchen serviced on Friday. I have to admit. It's a lot for the price. I was really tempted. Maybe later.

Happy Gramping, and sweet riding.

Mr. Munch a Lot,
    klaviator likes this.
  14. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on both additions klav...
    norton73 and klaviator like this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I just got a new bike yesterday so that's what i should be out riding. I did take the Like for a short run to Wally World.......just to get one thing. Any excuse for a ride:D The motor and brakes both felt stronger today. Sometimes it takes a few miles for it to break in and work Mo Betta.

But someone had posted up a dual sport ride in East Limestone county in the North Alabama Riders thread. You can read that post and the following conversation here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/north-alabama-riders.1092367/page-34#post-36590010

So I decided to go. It was cold, gloomy and a pretty high chance of rain but it wasn't bad when I left my house. That didn't last. It started raining. Would anyone else show up? I decided to continue on and find out. It was about a 50 minute ride to our meeting place. I got there early so I took some pics.

[​IMG]

It wasn't too long before I heard a single cylinder motorcycle coming down the road. It was @Thinwater on his Royal Enfield Himalayan. We talked a bit. It's always nice meeting other local riders. We didn't know if anyone else would show up given the "less than ideal" weather. A few minutes another rider showed up. It was @Kronus on his GSA.

[​IMG]

After a bit more talking we headed off with Thinwater in the lead. We started out on some paved roads.

[​IMG]

Eventually we got off the pavement and stopped by a river. I'd tell you what river but I had no clue where we were.

[​IMG]

Then we rode a mix of paved and unpaved roads. I snapped some pics, mostly while riding. I didn't get any pics of the rougher sections because I prefer to keep both hands on the bars while riding those.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ended up back at the Gin House BBQ where we took another break. Thinwater offered me the chance to ride his Himalayan so I took it for a short spin. Interesting bike. It would be a good choice for much of the riding in the local area.

Then we all headed home. I ended up riding around 110 miles. It was a good day and I'm glad I didn't let the weather keep me from riding. I definitely would like to ride those roads again. I think they were better than most of the gravel roads in Bankhead.
    MYUMPH, Stubanger, sealsam and 6 others like this.
  16. norton73

norton73 drinkin'

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the grandchild and the new scooter. I hope you spoil both of them.
    gulfcoaster and klaviator like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    So how is his "country mansion coming". Around here they put up houses in a few weeks. He must have some slow ass workers building his. At least it will be worth it when it's done. Fantastic view and a dirt trail starting in his back yard!

Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the nice weather. Merry Christmas!
    Heatery likes this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Merry Christmas!
    Heatery likes this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rudy and Andy. Merry Christmas to both of you and have a great riding year in 2019!
    norton73 and black 8 like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    For everyone else who is following this thread, have a Merry Christmas and happy New Year........and keep the rubber side down:ricky
    Heatery, eaglescan, TrashCan and 9 others like this.