Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    After enjoying the view for a while we headed back. At the 227/67 intersection Brandon headed to Guntersville while Rick and I went towards Scottsboro. We stopped to take some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riding on 67.

[​IMG]

We stopped for lunch on Scottsboro then took back roads back to Huntsville.

This is a road through some fields..........or that's what it's supposed to be.

[​IMG]

And we have more rain on the way. Maybe I should start building an Ark:dunno

[​IMG]

It was a bit chilly but I'm glad I got out and rode. It was about 180 miles total for me and probably the last long ride of the year.
    Heatery, MYUMPH, zookster and 2 others like this.
  2. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Sure would have liked to join you today, but ended up having to go to work this afternoon. Working for free for the Fed has it's merits. Or not. lol. Maybe next time.
    klaviator likes this.
  3. mashrider

mashrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Win i sure wanted to make it today, my grandson came over to visit so I got busy!! Next time for sure
    Mike
    klaviator likes this.
  4. mashrider

mashrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did have a chance at riding today , I took my Z125 out for a short ride in Cullman county, I got completly lost and had about a 76 mile run!! It was great , because when I got home it was time to change the oil!!!
    Heatery, Stubanger and klaviator like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Mike, we need to get together soon and do a small bike ride:ricky:ricky:ricky
    mashrider likes this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Tonight.

[​IMG]
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I went out for one last ride of the year.......and got caught in a pretty heavy rain shower. It was 71 degrees out so no big deal.

After I got back I added up the miles on all my bikes. I did a much better job this year of spreading out the miles among my bikes. Here's the totals for 2018:

Majesty - 3435
    Versys - 3354
    Super 8 - 3210
    KLR650 - 2048
    Smax - 1659
    Like 150i - 250

Total miles for 2018 = 13956.

If I hadn't crashed the Smax I'm pretty sure it would have come out on top.

That's a pretty good year but not great. I expect 2019 to have a much higher total.

For everyone following this thread, have a Happy New Year!! I hope to ride with many of you next year.
  8. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its nice to see that spread... time to track my own miles....
    klaviator likes this.
  9. ADK

ADK .........................

Oddometer:
    C'mon, dude, get out there and make it an even 14,000. :beer
    Heatery and klaviator like this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    If I was a few miles short of 20,000 I might do it but I'm not going out in a storm just to make it to 14K:D
    Heatery, zookster and ADK like this.
  11. LonH

LonH Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm enjoying these posts, awesome pics. If you get out anytime soon, I'd like to tag along. I'm on a KZ 400, so my top speed isnt all that great.
    Heatery and klaviator like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    My first bike was a 76 KZ400! Don't worry about speed. First, I'm not really into high speeds Although I do go through the twisties faster than some. Second, the way I do rides is everyone rides their own pace. If you happen to be slower than the rest of the group, no problem, we wait at all turns and regroup. We often have a real mixed group of bikes and riders on our rides. Looking forward to meeting you on a ride in the near future.

Keep an eye on this thread for local rides: https://advrider.com/f/threads/north-alabama-riders.1092367/
    Heatery, zookster and LonH like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading out tomorrow on my first long (well, long for a little scooter) ride on the Like. I posted this several places and it looks like there will be a few riders joining me. In case you haven't seen it posted yet and want to join me details are here: http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=3312.0
    Heatery, Stubanger and simi.d like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Several riders saw my posts about a small bike ride and showed up at Cycle Gear this morning. Most of the bikes weren't all that small.

[​IMG]

It was an absolutely gorgeous day and they just wanted an excuse to ride:D

Our first stop was at the natural bridge. A couple of people hadn't been there before despite being locals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did I mention it was a gorgeous day?

[​IMG]

At one point I rode ahead and set up to take some pics.

@Frank smith on his Tmax:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TW200 rider.

[​IMG]

Another KLR.

[​IMG]

@mashrider on his Z125.

[​IMG]

@ScooterRick on his BV350.

[​IMG]

One last pic before mounting up.

[​IMG]

Would 150cc be enough to catch the group on a curvy road??
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After giving them about a one minute lead it took maybe a mile or two to catch up:ricky:ricky

Time for some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately my pics don't show what a fun and curvy road this was.

A few miles before our lunch stop @Frank smith and I swapped bikes. I got to ride his Tmax on a nice curvy road.

What a difference from my tiny scooter! I kept the speed down to 50-55 which felt really slow on his huge (relatively) scooter. 70-80 would probably been about right.

Franks comment about the Like was "this thing is fun!"

Our lunch stop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After lunch we backtracked towards Guntersville.

Did I mention it was a beautiful day?

[​IMG]

We turned into the park except for Mike who headed for home.

The deer in the park aren't shy, we rode right by them.

[​IMG]

We stopped at the overlook.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a loooong way down.

[​IMG]

I think this contraption was part of the zip lining they have here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I often take over the shoulder shots when leading rides but the rarely come out. I thought this one was cool:

[​IMG]

That's my camera strap around the edge of the pic.

Circling around Guntersville. I wouldn't mind living in that house on the hill.

[​IMG]
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We stopped to take some pics. I offered to take pics of anyone who wanted to get a pic of them riding their bikes but no one was interested. Frank offered to get some pics of me so:

Does this bike make my butt look big??:lol3:lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I offered anyone who wanted a chance to ride my scooter. TWJohn took me up on it.

[​IMG]

He loved it and asked again how much it cost:D

Then Frank offered him the chance to ride his Tmax.

[​IMG]

I expect John will be a scooter owner soon:D

Rick rode it and said it was similar to his Vespa 150 but maybe a bit smoother.

[​IMG]

Then it was time to head back to Huntsville.

So how was the Like on it's first "long" ride?

It's a fun bike and reasonably comfortable. I could see do a three hundred mile day on it. The ride is pretty harsh. I will probably add a seat pad to improve the seating position and help absorb the bumps.

It did well on the curvy roads. I'm looking forward to getting it into the mountains to the east and some real twisty roads. Pulling U turns on it was ridiculously easy.

The engine performance is less than I expected. It's a bit faster than the super 8 but nowhere near the Smax. Gas mileage so far is also less than expected at 70-73 MPG. So the Like is not perfect but it's a keeper. I expect I will put more miles on it than any of my other bikes this year......time will tell.

So how fast is it?

[​IMG]

That was on a steep downhill. On flat ground 62-65. I don't know how accurate the speedo is but most people are reporting that it is a bit high but not real far off like many scooters. Engine is smooth as silk at all speeds. It feels totally un stressed cruising at 50-60.

My mileage for the day was 195 miles.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    During lunch I had the chance to talk to @mashrider about small bikes. We both liked the idea of trucking the bikes up to the mountains around Deal's Gap or further and camping and riding the small bikes from there. I know I plan on doing that a few times this year and hope to get some other riders on small bikes to join me. I know plenty of roads where tiny bikes will be an absolute blast:ricky:ricky:ricky

On my Smax I was able to ride it to the mountains and bring along my camping gear. I might try to do that sometime on this scooter but it will be harder. I will have to avoid interstates and being a smaller bike it will be harder to fit all my gear on it.
  19. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What mountains contain Deal's Gap, I'm not familiar with where you are talking about.

The wife and I put 100 miles on the bikes yesterday from Ardmore to; Taft, Cashpoint, Coldwater, Delrose then towards Mcburg back through Cashpoint and home. Found two more interesting paved one laners and one more nice dualsport road. We weren't able to start until 2pm.
    klaviator likes this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Deal's Gap is US129 as it passes from TN to NC. It is often referred to as the "dragon" and is probably the most famous motorcycle road in the world.

It even has it's own motorcycle resort. This road attracts thousands of riders from all over the world every year.

[​IMG]

They claim 318 curves in 11 miles.......and it's not the twistiest road in the area.

[​IMG]

Anyway its between Maryville, Tn and Robbinsville, NC. Great riding in the area on and off the pavement. About 230 miles from here.

An old ride report I did at Deal's Gap: https://advrider.com/f/threads/scootin-through-deals-gap-318-curves-and-11-horsepower.670468/

Or go back through this ride report and you can find multiple rides to Deal's Gap and the surrounding mountains.

I'll be leading a few rides in the area this year.