1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Fun Turn by Turn Road app?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by ARCBOY, Feb 2, 2018.

1. ARCBOY

ARCBOY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    so I’ve been reading through all of the threads and haven’t found a a lot of talk on apps that have turn by turn directions. On just local roads at whatever current location I’m wanting to find a nice day ride on some fun curvy country roads and not have to create a map. I’ve heard there are maps that show some good motorcycle routes, but I haven’t found any apps. I’d prefer just to get on my iPhone and find a motorcycle app and hit go to get the turn by turn directions through Bluetooth to my SENA. Anyone have any luck Finnish a good app for this? I heard of something called Mad Maps, but couldn’t find anything like it.
  2. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try Scenic app,think there is a big thread here or in vendor forum.
    If you can get used to a GPS,then lots of regional tracks at top half of this page.

JR356
  3. ARCBOY

ARCBOY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok. I thought that was more of a route builder. I’ll do some research on that. Thanks for the suggestion.
  4. ARCBOY

ARCBOY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just watched a video on the app and just downloaded it. Seems like that should be a pretty good option for sure. Thanks.
  5. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kurviger is great for this (https://kurviger.de/) but it is only available for Android. Calimoto is similar but I find it not so good as Kurviger. Calimoto is available for both Android and IOS ( https://calimoto.eu/en/ .
  6. ARCBOY

ARCBOY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The link in the calimoto website sends me to Apple store but then says it’s not available.
  7. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like all IOS apps nowadays you have to download it from your phone. If you can't do that then I have no idea what the problem is unless it is restricted geographically. I have it on both my Android and IOS phones.

PS Just noticed this in the website blurb "Since the release on May 15th, 2016 bikers from Europe, New Zealand, South America, Africa and Australia have been discovering their best tours with calimoto." It kind of implies that it is not yet available in the USA I guess.
  8. ARCBOY

ARCBOY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That must be the issue. Thanks anyways.
  9. RoadRider13

RoadRider13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been using InRoute for the last two seasons and really like it. It is only IOS however. now allows up to 99 pins for sculpting a route. and has the best saved route organization I have found. Easy to export or import gpx files also. Each year i go through a shake down in the spring and test the latest offerings. This year I will test InRoute, Scenic and the new MyRoute. I will also test Rever and ESR for tracking. I have seen that MyRoute also tracks so I will add that to my testing for trackers. I am somewhat of a fanatic about these. First, While I like wandering, I have an obsession about always knowing where I am at any given time. Bad habit from being a Navy bridge officer. One thing I look for is the ability to temporarily turn off the navigation to allow me to explore a interesting road a little. I then like to have the app take me to the nearest point on my defined route and pick up the track again. Second the apps lay down routes slightly differantly. InRoute you point to a place on the map and the app drops a pin. The other two you move the map under a target then drop the pin. I don't think it really matters, but I find InRoute's method more intuitive for me. It is probably a character quirk. I think Scenic does the best job of giving you road options like no highways and "curvy". None of the apps have good layering capability. I would LOVE an app that allowed me to have POI layers you could turn of and on. A layer for burger places, a layer for clam shacks, a layer for lighthouses...

As an aside a killer app might be Google maps! But you can't lay out a route in the mobile version and you can't transfer a desktop route to to mobile AND navigate the route. Why not is a mystery of the universe.
  10. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are prepared to use Android, Locus Map Pro can do this very easily - not via layers exactly but by choosing to display collections of points which you can classify in any way you care to. You can also display points in various ways eg within a certain distance from your location, all points single points etc.
  11. RoadRider13

RoadRider13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would get you to the same end. Great concept. Sadly for me. I am invested in the Apple ecosystem. Difficult to cost effectively move. But maybe one of the iOS apps will pick up on the idea.
  12. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

You're looking for two applications:

One based on social media like Rever that just give you a five star rated ride with zero functionality beyond that.... And you have to pay a subscription service to use

Then another that has all the bells and whistles for offline route building, but none of the " subscription only! " social media stigma/crap.

Pick those two and you'll be happy.

On android I would say Rever and Locus.
  13. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

Now that Apple has waterproof devices, there's no reason to move for road riding. Just use/choose the application best suited and enjoy the ride.
  14. JPBark

JPBark n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know how to delete a waypoint in caliMoto?