FURKOT the Online Trip Planning Tool

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by DRTBYK, Dec 2, 2014.

1. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper

Oddometer:
    i should have added that furkot is my goto mapper and it makes it so easy export the trip and pull it into basecamp to either be uploaded onto your gps, sounds cumbersome, but it's amazingly simple.

furkot wishlist.. have an increased accuracy option to make the track a bit tighter to the route you select so you don't have to drop shaping points quite as often to smooth out the curves.
  2. imintman

imintman FL_atlander

Oddometer:
    Just some general observations from fumbling around with FURKOT: I find my GPS less likely to alter my custom route (road) if I select the track option only in FURKOT and then let the GPS unit convert it to a trip after I download it. This has been the case for several GPS units I've owned in the past few years. Also, if for some reason things go awry during one of my trips I delete it (the trip) and do the track to trip conversion again and all is well. It only takes a few seconds to do that.
  3. lkraus

lkraus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where are you seeing discrepancies? For me, the route shown in Furkot always follows the road. Occasionally Basecamp will show straight lines instead of following the road's curves, especially if I move a waypoint or shaping point. Makes no difference if I create the route with Furkot or with Basecamp only. I can get the Basecamp route to follow the road curves by opening the route properties and recalculating. That's a Basecamp quirk, not a Furkot issue.
  4. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper

Oddometer:
    good point, i didn't look at it that way.

i'll try the recalculating tip them.
    thanks.
    :thumb
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    The Furkot Dev Team are working on the ability to follow roads closer without having to add lots of Pass-through Points (Shaping Points) as well as the option to add more points to Exported Tracks. The limiting factor at the moment is Google Maps API and Googles Licensing Costs. Once Furkot moves to their own standalone Routing Engine, this type of option should be doable from what I'm told.
  6. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Wonder if Furkot will begin to use OSM maps as well due to such a shift.
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    The use of OSM Maps in Furkot is a current feature - and they can be saved offline.

Offline Map saving...

IMG_0496.jpg

OSM Map in Costa Rica
    IMG_0497.jpg
    Tiger993 and Serp like this.
  8. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    New feature: Recover (up to 48hrs) your deleted Trips from your MyTrips.

Furkot_Recover_Trashed_Trip.gif
    Serp likes this.
  9. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still don't see if it is possible to make the route going where the roads are seasonally closed. Like in the mountains. Furkot still forcing all the way around.
    Am I'm missing something or it's still works as in google maps?
  10. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    It works just like Google maps because it is a Google issue not a Furkot issue. The good folks at Furkot have worked around that issue by allowing you to pull data from Open Street Maps by selecting your Route and then using the ALTERNATE option. Or, you can just drag the route path along your desired roads until you force the path to stay on the roads you want to travel.
  11. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    Or try setting the date of your trip to a date where the seasonal closing is open.
  12. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    @Wansfel that certainly is an option to use but it sort of diminishes the value of a Trip Planner.
  13. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    I've been able to return the date later and FURKOT keeps the route (example Skalkaho). BUT why is he planning a trip when there is a seasonal closing in the first place? Could be he's not setting the date to when he actually will be traveling in the first place?
  14. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Google maps doesn't care about the date that your Trip is being planned in Furkot. Google uses the current date in their routing engine so no matter what date Furkot sends, Google only uses the current date to determine routing path. Furkot cannot do anything about that currently - except to offer the ALTERNATE routing data from OSM. You need to use Pass-through points to bound the Seasonal Closure area and then select the ALTERNATE option to replace the segment that is routing around the Closure. My Furkot Pro Tips video on this topic is still applicable.

Google Maps won't let you route until summer in most cases - but even Googles data is inconsistent:

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 11.54.49.png

With Furkot, you simply bound the closure area using two Pass-thru points and then choose the ALTERNATE routing data (Purple route path).

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 12.16.14 (2).png
  15. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly true. No matter of a date in Furkot, it's assuming the current date.
    I do use Alternate route option, and later in the late spring changing to real route, but it's not how I'd like it to be.
    I guess Furkot programmers can't override google map, but instead of rerouting, a proper way would probably be to highlight closed off sections in red with a message for seasonal closure and let me decide what to do instead...
  16. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Furkot can't guess what you want to do regarding routing so they provided pretty much what you desire when you use the ALTERNATE route path for routing through Seasonal Closure roads. Once Furkot is using their own routing engine and OSM map data this issue should go away.
  17. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, I was referring to google programmers :)
    Excellent. Will hope they'll implement their own routing engine soon.
  18. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
  19. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been happily using Furkot for a few years now and really appreciate the power and flexibility it has.

One question: I am doing a loop that starts near Toronto Ontario. I have to be in Albuquerque on a specific day for business. Heading out I will be slabbing it on the interstates. (After Albuquerque I can be pretty relaxed on timing and route so that isn't an issue.)

Is there a simple way to lock in the date I need to be in Albuquerque so that Furkot can calculate the start day based on the different mileages and/or routes I play around with?

Thanks,

..Tom
  20. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay took bit but I found the answer:

..Tom
    Serp likes this.