Future of Yarmouth-Portland ferry service in jeopardy

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 2dogs1cat, Nov 21, 2017.

1. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Cole Harbour Kid

Oddometer:
  2. klondike1

klondike1 Nobody in particular

Oddometer:
    We took the new one in 2013. nice boat but so boring i was aside myself. But one of our group really wanted to try the ferry. They say 8 hours but by the time you get on and off you are about 12 hours. I hope it does well for people that want it but next time i will ride around. The day we took it seemed like about 100 people on the boat. Probably did not cover the fuel.
  3. tbas3

tbas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm from Yarmouth. When I was a kid a long time ago we had 2 ferries to the USA one to Bar Harbour and 1 to Portland. The one to Portland was only in the summer if I remember right. We had bus service so you could go to Halifax. We also had 2 jet flights (DC-9) a day. We also had 2 railroads one of which had a dayliner that ran to Halifax every day. The other one was freight only. Recently a local business man wanted to start a bus service to Halifax. The provincial government would not let him due to the objections of another bus company. One that does not even come to Yarmouth.

The economy around Yarmouth has not been great for a long time now. In my opinion its now dying a slow death. There are a few bright spots mostly lobster fishing. That is doing well at the moment after a few terrible years.

I think for the ferry to succeed it would be best to go back to Bar Harbour. Get rid of that gas guzzling cat type ferry. We learned our lesson a few years ago about that or at least we thought so. It was replaced by a normal ferry. The normal ferry had a subsidy and due to reasons that were a mystery to me they gave them a subsidy that was supposed to last for many years and hey it all got spent almost immediately. Whatever idiot approved that deal should be in jail. I think for the ferry to be viable it has to be stable. Its not. Every year or two there is some looming potential disaster that will end it. Probably forever this time. People are not going to make long term plans for a boat that may not even be there in a year.
  4. klondike1

klondike1 Nobody in particular

Oddometer:
    I will say Yarmouth is a real gem. Loved our time there and our walk around town and waterfront. Even some old cemeteries were cool to walk thru.
  5. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    I sounds like this ferry is being run with the same strategy as Bombardier uses: Demand tax dollars or threaten to shut down.

It will always be someone else who the finger is pointed at. I'd suggest letting the ferry prosper or fail on their own. Government has no business in business, among many other places they have injected their self assumed authority.
  6. fredgreen

fredgreen let's take it apart....

Oddometer:
    That's easy to say when you don't live where ferrys run. All ferry service in Atlantic Canada is subsidized to an extent. The Portland/Yarmouth ferry is quite frankly, too damn expensive to take. I could drive to Portland and back a handful of times for the cost of one ferry trip. The city of Portland has done there best to sabotage the ferry run, no commercial traffic is allowed through Portland, they refuse to upgrade the US border control office, they have raised the pilot fees, etc. This ferry is doomed to failure as long as it docks in Portland. I don't see it lasting too long if they don't find a different place to dock.
  7. 16VGTIDave

Oddometer:
    There are a number of ferry's operating within a few hours riding of me. And I sometimes choose to pay their exorbitant fees rather than drive. Since the ferry is NOT the only access to Yarmouth, I stand by my original statement without reservation. Your arguments only further cement my position. At most, government intervention should be limited to dispute resolution.

Additionally, it is my understanding that the ferry is a private enterprise. Why should ANY taxpayer subsidize a private, for profit, company? If the company needs a loan, they should apply to the Bank of Canada for one (ignoring the fact that Trudeau Sr. gutted that institution decades ago).
  8. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    I won’t get drawn into a political mudsling, bottom line is, we do, and have subsidized private enterprise in Canada for decades, whether it be through government loans or grants. You, my tax paying friend are no exception. What should be done, and what is done are two different things. Ferry service is vital to the economy in the maritimes , and the pros and cons of govt loans must be carefully thought out. All that aside, the reason noted by the OP has nothing to do with cost, it has to do with the City of Portland and US customs.
    Millwright98 and Slowphil like this.
  9. 2dogs1cat

Oddometer:
  10. 2dogs1cat

Oddometer:
  11. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still cannot understand why Canada or Nova Scotia should pay for the Customs improvements in Portland, Maine, USA
  12. 16VGTIDave

Oddometer:
    $30M of Canadian Tax payer monies have already been "invested" (arguably wasted) on this ferry. What's another $4M?...
  13. 2dogs1cat

Oddometer:
  14. boatboy

boatboy n00b

Oddometer:
    We took the CAT in the summer of 2016. It was a neat ride, over 40 mph in 8' seas, smooth as silk. BUT! It was crazy expensive, the wait to load was a little longer than necessary. Food onboard is very expensive as are any souvenirs from the onboard giftshop. Finally, when we were offloading, I realised that the car deck was wide open. Our van was coated with salt! US Customs Officer was a riot! Seriously, the guy had obviously got out of bed on the right side that morning. Then off to find a carwash and get the Atlantic off of the van. We've been there, done that, nice experience, next time we'll drive. Oh, did I mention that it's very expensive?
    Oilhed and 16VGTIDave like this.
  15. tbas3

tbas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its likely only a matter of time until Yarmouth loses the ferry. When I was a kid there we had 2 railroads (one was freight only), Buses, a daily jet plane to Boston and Halifax, 2 ferries one that operated year round but on a reduced schedule. Now we have a part time ferry and its expensive.
  16. boatboy

boatboy n00b

Oddometer:
    I suppose for the same misguided thought process that will have we Canadians paying for the new $50 million US Border Services facility in Detroit for the new Gordie Howe bridge. Canada is building the bridge so I stupidly figured that all usage fees would be coming back to Canada. Wrong! Apparently what the US collects on their side, they keep. I just wish we'd stop being such pushovers when it comes to dealing with the US!
  17. 2dogs1cat

Oddometer:
  18. 16VGTIDave

Oddometer:
    Huh. Even the CBC is reporting negatively on this. It must be stupendously bad for that to happen. $37M and counting bad... Please don't talk about how much more will be needed to pay off the Americans who obviously don't want or need this ferry, because it will embarrass us and cost you even more. And the proceeds have gone where? Certainly NOT back to us, the stupid Canadian tax payers.
  19. 2dogs1cat

Oddometer:
    Update from: https://www.ferries.ca/thecat/

"We’re very excited The CAT is coming back home to Bar Harbor in 2019. From the 2020 season going forward, we anticipate our operating season will commence around Memorial Day weekend (last weekend of May). This year we are undertaking a substantial rebuilding of the Bar Harbor ferry terminal to prepare for the return of The CAT. Our scheduled season start for 2019 is, therefore, June 21. Because of the complexity of the work we, along with many partners, are doing it is always possible that this start date could change. We’ll keep you posted of any change as soon as we know. Feel free to contact us any time at 1-877-762-7245 or visit ferries.ca for an update.

Thanks for your support, and we look forward to seeing you this summer."
  20. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    Can’t get a doctor, can’t keep ER’s open, but we can sink tax money into this fuckin fiasco! Can’t wait till election time.
    16VGTIDave and russell44 like this.