FYI to those of you using Flickr to embed photos on ADVRider

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by AdamChandler, Nov 2, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://www.flickr.com/lookingahead/
    +
    https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...ree-accounts-changes-pro-subscription-smugmug

Free users with more than 1,000 photos or videos will have until January 8th, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download their surplus content. After January 8th, free users with over 1,000 pictures or videos won’t be able to upload any more. And on February 5th, 2019, free accounts that are still over the limit will have their content actively deleted until they’re back under 1,000 (starting with the oldest content first).

Flickr is also adding numerous changes and enhancements to the $49.99-per-year Flickr Pro service over the course of the next few months. Paid customers will be given unlimited storage for photos and videos at full resolution, no ads, additional data on how their photos are performing, “premier” customer service, videos up to 10 minutes long (instead of three minutes), and partner discounts from Adobe, Smugmug, Peak Design, and more.

To sweeten the deal for any free holdouts, Flickr is also offering a 30 percent discount off of the first year of Flickr Pro through November 30th, which may help ease the sting of losing that free storage space.

A lot of people, myself included use Flickr to upload images then hot-link them here. You are now limited to 1,000 photos maximum.

This doesn't impact me because (humblebrag), I've been a Flickr pro Subscriber since 2007 with 25,000+ photos uploaded but people looking for free photo storage will now have to look else-where.
  2. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Curious, that there's not an option for current SmugMug subscribers, who also have free Flickr accounts, to get recognition for that.
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    You would think SmugMug's ultimate plan would have been to allow users a package deal on both. Get the community on Flickr but the storage, upload interface would all be SmugMug and your money would basically gain you access to both.

Looks as if they're content on keeping both completely separate products. I can't imagine cancelling Flickr Pro even though I do have every photo offline, my Flickr is just everything good from the last 13 years total. But for many, this will certainly impact where they put their photos to share on ADVRider and other places.
  4. Solarbronco

Solarbronco Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a paid Smugmug account but have no idea what their image limit is. Haven't hit it yet!
  5. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I knew it was bad news when Smugmug took over Flickr. I use my smugmug account for linking pics, but back up my iphone using Flickr. Oh well, will pay apple for the cloud and drop either smugmug or flickr. Or both.
  6. Old-n-slo

Old-n-slo Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process of posting a RR and loading my selected photos from Apple's Photos app to Flickr. Then I cut and paste the code from the Flickr photograph to the forum. Seems the only way I have figured out to do this is to laboriously delete all of the irrelevant code that shows up on Flickr so that all that is left is http.XYZetc.jpg Is there any simpler way?
    Thanks in advance.
  7. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

What OS are you using?
  8. CheapoWes

CheapoWes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Imgur works well for me.
  9. Old-n-slo

Old-n-slo Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer:
    Mac High Sierra 10.13.06 and Safari for a browser
  10. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

Just go to the Flickr photo:
    1 Click on it.
    2. Go to the down arrow, view all sizes.
    3. Pick the size you want...large is default
    4. Right click on photo and copy image with a left click.
    5. Come back to ADV and right click paste...bam.