FZ-07 battery problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Panina, Nov 10, 2019 at 10:39 AM.

1. Panina

Panina Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So the bike did not crank this morning, figured it was the battery.
    Old one out, new one in. Connected first the positive then negative. There was a spark when I connected the negative.
    Now I tried to start it and it gets zero juice.
    How bad did I fuck up?

Thanks for the help.
  2. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    1st check the main fuse (might as well check them all),
    but don't replace it while the battery is connected just yet, it might blow right away if you have a short somewhere.

While the battery is out and the fuses replaced (if burned), assuming you have a ohms meter, check the resistance between the battery wires. It should really be pretty high if not infinite.

If you have accessories connected without relays, they may consume a bit of current (vampires killing your battery in winter!) but if they were sucking as much as 12mA (or worse like these cheap usb ports) the resistance would be about 1000 ohms, and that's not a fuse-busting short. Keep such direct accessories away while you test the bike alone.

To short a 30A main fuse or just a 15A ignition fuse, you would have to read less than 1 ohms. That's the kind of short you are looking for before you put back the battery. It may be easy to find you start from wires you moved around or pulled perhaps too hard.

Otherwise, bike shop.
  3. Panina

Panina Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the info, thanks!
  4. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now, if no fuses are busted at all, then it could be one of those kill switch (sidestand, neutral, handlebar) or the robust thus unlikely starter relay having a defect suddenly while you merely changed the battery. Would be a bad coincidence but hey, murphy's law.
  5. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    with the key off, there shouldn't be a spark when you connect the battery
  6. Panina

Panina Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very interesting. The main fuse keeps blowing too. I will take it to a mechanic, that shit is way above my pay grade.
    Thanks for the help.