G650 X BMW Hanguard Install

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Firefight911, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Firefight911

Firefight911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I installed the BMW brand handguards to my G 650 X Challenge this afternoon. Took all of 45 minutes to an hour.

I am very impressed with the build quality of the guards. They fit up exactly as they are supposed to and there are no surprises along the way. Weird, but the instructions actually made sense as well!!

Here's the kit with the large handguard protectors that I opted for:

[​IMG]

First, I installed the protectors. They slide over the bar and screw into it with the supplied bolts. The holes are threaded and line up perfectly.

[​IMG]

I started on the left guard.

Cut a hole for the threaded mounts.

[​IMG]

Here is the threaded mount installed:

[​IMG]

Now install the bar end, bolt, and guard loosely to the bike. Then install the inboard bar mount with the bolt, supoort, nylok nut, and other bolt.

Once everything is installed loosely, align them as you want and tighten. I used loctite on all bolts except the nylok nutted one.

Note the three different sized allens!!:bash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left side complete

[​IMG]

Throttle side is a little trickier but not really.

Cut hole and then roll the grip rubber back on itself to reveal this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You need to cut the end of the throttle tube off to this point:

I cut from the hole on the end and made pizza cuts. I then removed those pieces. Aftr this I just shaved back until I had enough clearance to not bind with the bar end after install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Threaded guard mount installed. Note that there is still quite a bit of grip rubber at the end. After install, I cut off the lip at the end as it would not allow the grip to rotate without binding.

[​IMG]

All done. Here you can see the final trim of the grip rubber:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps for those who go this route.:thumb:wave
  2. GB007

GB007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information and complete installation instructions! Do you have a front picture to see how the bike looks? What made you decide to buy the BMW brand rather than Acerbis or other? I was shopping around right now when I saw your thread... In case of a fall, do you think they will stay straight? By the way, how much did you pay?
  3. Firefight911

Firefight911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here ya go!

I went with the BMW as I knew they would fit up right away without any mods or alterations of any kind. Don't have the time to spend rounding the square peg for the round hole. I spent more for that convenience and I am fine with that. I think it was about $110 for the guard and an extra $20 for the protectors. Don't quote me though as they weren't the only thing I got on that invoice.

I feel that they are more than up to the job. My only previous experience is with Acerbis on my DRZ-400 and DRX-250 but I don't feel that they will let me down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. GB007

GB007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Makes sense... Thanks a lot!!! :norton
  5. OR Trail

OR Trail looks for unlocked gates

Oddometer:
    How is the wind protection? I am attracted to the fit right out of the box, but the $45 Moose guards I had on my KLR are looking good if I need to tack on additional wind protection. Is there an additional wind add on?
  6. Solace

Solace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW has a piece that attaches to the "large hand guards" to offer additional wind protection. I don't have the part numbers on hand but you can contact your local dealer.
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the excellent and detailed report. Exactly what I'll be adding to mine :thumb
  8. Defender63

Defender63 Adventurer

Oddometer: