G650 X-Challenge Camping Mod Teaser

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hoots Magoon, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Hoots Magoon

Hoots Magoon Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer:
    Today's project is to get the X-challenge ready for this weekends camping trip to Maine. I have to make a trip to the hardware store for some nuts, and then I'll be finished.

This is the inside of the pelican case. I used the bolt head covers that were removed for the TouraTech rack install. I assume these will keep the items inside the case from rubbing.

[​IMG]

I'm undecided if I'll use a backing plate on the inside.

Here is the Pelican Case on top. I need the nuts for the case bolts before I can mount it. Plus, I''ll be adding some bungie buddies to the top of the case to hold the sleeping bag.

[​IMG]

Did you notice the gas bottle. It helps to have a little insurance. I used the carbon filter mount and added a bracket just in case. Also notice the nylon washers for the G-Spot fix (Mud flap rubbing on the air shock).

[​IMG]

When I get back next week, I'll post my review.
  2. Venteuri

Venteuri I don't give a shit

Oddometer:
    :thumb nice

Good thing you started the new thread.
  3. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On

Oddometer:
    sweet! I already have the MSR mounted up like that! Nice work on the case.
  4. Oni

Oni Ronin

Oddometer:
    Looks nice Hoots!

Which Pelican case is that...and can you get the seat off with it mounted? I have a small tailbag on the small TT rack and have to unfasten it to get the seat off (to get the pump for the shock)
  5. Hoots Magoon

Oddometer:
    It is a 1450 case. I got it for less than 1/2 price on fleeBay. When I was measuring it out, I made sure to leave room, about 3/4" so I could remove the seat. I'll mount it in the morning (nuts from the hardware store), and post pictures with the seat removal process.
  6. spicychili

spicychili Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a 1400 top case on mine a while back.

works well.

[​IMG]
  7. JaySoy

JaySoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's cool about a Pelican is that if the mounting bolts are air tight and you change altitude while riding (like we like to do), you get a nice suction noise while opening them like a Folger's coffee can. :)

Nice work!
  8. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    Anymore luggage setups on the X-challenge? Im interested to see what it looks like with soft panniers and top bag.
  9. Hoots Magoon

Oddometer:
    I recieved an e-mail from Dirt-Bagz stating they will be selling bags for the X-Challenge sometime this month.
  10. Hoots Magoon

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. GB007

GB007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing! Your setup looks really nice... Hey, your bike looks like brand new, super clean... either you have not used it on the dirt or you clean it up really well (mine does not look like yours, plus is alreay scratch from my first fall). :D
  12. Hoots Magoon

Oddometer:
    That is what the garden hose is for when you get home.
  13. Venture

Venture Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in the process of adding a pelican case to my TT large rack... I am looking at your install Hoots - it doesn't look like the seat will come off with the case mounted....

It seems I will have the same issue - I'm thinking I might just move the pump from under the seat to inside the Pelican Case, and that will take care of having to get under the seat too often.

I went with the Pelican 1400 (only options were 1400 or 1550, and 1550 was HUGE).
  14. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work! :thumb What size Pelicans are these?

How are YFF mounting those MSR bottles? Got pics of the mounting bracket and how it installs to the frame?? :ear
  15. Redbull Addict

Redbull Addict I need another one...

Oddometer:
    Can you explain the process for removing the charcoal canister and which hoses get plugged?
  16. Hoots Magoon

Oddometer:
    It is a Pelican 1450. I have to take the front two mounting bolts off the rack and tilt it backwards to remove the seat, fairly easy to do with a ball head hex wrench.

SpiceyChilli posted pictures of his 1400 above. He mounted it a little further back, & I believe he can remove his seat using just a little more effort. You may want to PM him.

As for the charcoal canister, the bike was going to be my dealer's race bike, so the bike has never been fitted with the canister. He asked me if I wanted the extra stuff he never put on the bike when it came out of the crate. Being a pack rat, I sad yes, and now have the bottle hanging on the side.
  17. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteamâ„¢

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen the charcoal canister irl, but it can't be hard. Remove the seat and locate the white hexagonal cover on the tank. Remove the rubber line that is connector to it, and everything that is connected to that rubber line. Probably a solenoid, and another line that goes to the canister. Remove it all. Unplug the connector. Once all this stuff is off the bike get a piece of rubber line about three feet long. Plug it on that white hexagonal cover, and route it somewhere convenient, to where the centre stand would be if the bike had one. Do not plug it!

Done.
  18. RandomZ

RandomZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you get the mounts for the MSR bottle? They look like Slip-on exhaust hangers :wink:

I gotta rig something up for an MSR bottle, exploring isn't as much fun if you're worrying about running out of gas :(
  19. Venture

Venture Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to speak for Hoots.... but I've done a similar mounting of an MSR can - the mounts from the Charcoal Canister work perfect for this.

Steven
  20. Hoots Magoon

Oddometer:
    <!-- / message -->
    Yep, it's from the charcoal canister, plus a bracket I bent from some scrap I had to make sure the MSR bottle wouldn't fall out the bottom. I just received an Acerbis tank, and will be doing this. Thanks to Jack Splash.

Also, I'm going to bend a heat shield for the exhaust so I can drape bags over the acerbis tank and exhaust, and hopefully keep some symmetry.

[​IMG]