G650 X - Moisture in the Oil Tank?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Olas

Olas the darkness

Oddometer:
    I couldn't find anything in the threadfest about this so I'm going to start a thread.

Ok, so it's winter and the bike's not being ridden as much as it should. I pull the oil dipstick every time I go for a ride and have a look in there. The last few times I've noticed the milky residue (:puke1 ) that nobody wants to see building up around the neck of the oil tank and under the dipstick cap. The first time I noticed this I freaked out and thought that coolant somehow escaped into the oil so I changed the oil. There was nothing in the oil to prove that though, the oil was perfectly fine. Somehow moisture is getting inside the oil tank through the cap, the o-ring is fine so I am astounded as to how this is happening. There is a gap of air between the oil and the top of the neck and this is where it is happening. It's starting to worry me a little since I see a little rust even starting to form close to the threads at the neck.

So, any ideas as to what is going on here? Has this happened to anybody else? I live in colorado and it's been snowing a lot lately so the moisture is in the air and I've ridden in wet/snowy conditions a few times but how the hell is it getting in there?

Thanks.
  2. Olas

Olas the darkness

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Oni

Oni Ronin

Oddometer:
    Condensation maybe????

Kinda spooky seeing that milky stuff in the oil :huh
  4. rc mad

rc mad Physycotic gecko

Oddometer:
    looks like moisture buildup in the oil caused by riding it short distances, my dakar does it. go for a long ride and it''ll dissapear. :D Dunno how it gets in there, it just does.

I's not worry about it too much if you've dropped the oil and its not milky or anything, check the coolant level just in case, tho i'd expect more than that if coolant was getting in.

check up on the f650gs bikes, basically the same engine. There was a couple of threads on it over at f650.com i think.
  5. GetYourOwn

GetYourOwn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get the same thing in F650GS. My main commute is less than 10 miles each way so once a week I go on a longer ride to get the temps up. Never given me any problems.
  6. Metteke

Metteke Beemer beat in me

Oddometer:
    No worries, it's normal at low temperatures. The oil tank starts really getting warm and circulating all the oil at operating temp (this is way you have to run untill tha fan comes is before changing the oil). So short distances and cold weather are warming up the oil part in the engine, but not yet the oil in the tank...
  7. Olas

Olas the darkness

Oddometer:
    Ok, makes sense. I haven't really been riding it that far, about 11 miles each way to work, so what you guys are saying does apply. Thanks!!
  8. steveboyo

steveboyo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found exactly the same. Checked the oil level last week and found a "milky" residue on the top of the dip stick!
  9. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    what they said.

atmospheric humidity condensing out.

not uncommon in winter.