G650 X Oil Change Instructions?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by John 10:10, Dec 26, 2007.

1. John 10:10

John 10:10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found the correct procedure for oil changes on the G650 XChallenge?
  2. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    I believe it goes like this:

• keep the bike level and remove the drain bolt from the crankcase. Leave the adjacent banjo bolt in the crankcase, do not remove that. The oil in the crankcase should come out now.
    • on the lower rear of the oil tank there is a bleed bolt, just like you find on a brake caliper. Shift a piece of fishtank hose on the bleed bolt and give the bleed bolt half a turn. The oil in the oil tank should come out now.
    • After the bike has stopped leaking close the bleeder bolt, and install the drain bolt again (with a new crush washer please).
    • Put the bike on the sidestand, and remove the oil filter cover to replace the oil filter element. And bolt it up again.

Now it's time to put new oil in the engine. Fill the oil tank to it's neck with oil, and start up the bike. let it run for 15 second and kill it. (really important!!). Fill the oil tank up again until you have poured 2 quarts in total into the oil tank (which is slightly below 2 liters) . The engine and oil tank together are claimed to hold 2,3 liters of oil, but we don't want to overfill.

Fire up the engine, and let it warm up. Ride around the block and let it idle at least 1 minute until the fan comes on. Kill the engine and check the oil level. Add oil untill the oil level is the top mark on the dipstick (measure this with the dipstick not turned into the tank)

This should do it I believe.

have fun,

Max
    GrayEagleRider likes this.
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Max!! So, 2 litres should do it then :thumb
  4. Metteke

Metteke Beemer beat in me

Oddometer:
    Correct. One important item to add: make sure the engine is really hot... Normal procedure is run the engine untill the fan comes on, and after this one more minute (or fews more) in idle. Cut the engine and start the procedure below. This to make sure that most of the oil is in the tank, and not somewhere in between tank and engine, hard to drain this way without removing all the oil hoses...:D

5. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Max is right as far as the official procedure, but I found it enormously easier to siphon the warm oil out the oil filler hole. The drain procedure is awkward.

I got a siphon device from Pep for $9. I have replaced it with a large device which also works for my truck, etc. The large unit is Mityvac brand.
  6. John 10:10

Oddometer:
    Thanks Max! Everyone still agrees on Dino oil for the 1st 5000 mi.?
  7. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    What is awkward about sliding on a hose and turning a bleed screw half a turn?
  8. Bong

Bong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the really stupid question - but do you check the oil level with the bike on its side stand or upright? Thanks
  9. Sonymalc

Sonymalc I'm Just Here

Oddometer:
    Upright.

And I was told to check oil level with dipstick screwed in, unlike what maxcool states. I dont know if Im right however. Just what I was told by BMW during my walk around of the bike when i bought it.
  10. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Then of all the bikes I've owned the Xchallenge would be the first bike where you'd have to screw the dipstick in to check the level. That defies logic to me. The owners manual (in Dutch at least) is a little fuzzy about it. I do believe there was an errata about how to check the oil level, I'll go and check my dealer.

And after all, it's a dipstick right, not a screw-in stick? :lol3
    mariecat likes this.
  11. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the (US Model) Rider's Manual:

"To check oil level, screw the oil dipstick in and then out again".
    Yet another logic defying solution from the Motorrad company :lol3

Max, you got my email the other day?

--
    Mikko
  12. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    You didn't get a reply?

Hmm, I'll try to send it again.

Max
  13. smithy1

smithy1 been here a while

Oddometer:
    Another dumb question: what are all those extra washers for that come with the "filter kit"? I remember using the new drain plug bushing but I keep saving the others until I figure out what to do with them.
  14. Olas

Olas the darkness

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure one of them is for the coolant drain plug, the other one I don't know.
  15. Sonymalc

Sonymalc I'm Just Here

Oddometer:
    I also skipped out on the other crush washers, no idea but I got the one i took off.
  16. mechnoman

mechnoman wrenchn

Oddometer:
    collect the oil that comes out of the bike...measure how much and put that much back in..instead of just dumping in the spec. amount..may over-fill if you dont...and than follow instructions for your bike on checking the oil..
  17. Metteke

Metteke Beemer beat in me

Oddometer:
    This kit is universal for all BMW thumpers. So u do not need everything in the kit for the XC... Don't bother if there are some too many :D
  18. John 10:10

Oddometer:
    Most parts for the Oil Change are the same as the F650, here is what is needed:
    1 F650/G650 Filter
    1 Crush washer for the drain
    1 O ring for the filter cover
    Small flexible tube to drain the oil resevoir
    2+ quarts Dino oil
    Everything totaled less than $30.
  19. Ice

Ice The Frozen Tundra

Oddometer:
    What is the oil change interval for the XChallenge?

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a D.S. and one of my concerns is the small amount of oil that the Enduro bikes hold. I plan on riding on pavement 50% and dirt and gravel 50% and I will be riding to the offroad areas....also...weekend runs which could total 500 miles or more. So you can see the amount of oil and the oil change interval will be important with that type of riding.

Any knowledge in that area would help me decide.

Thanks
  20. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Depends on service, of course. BMW recommends service including oil 6k miles after initial 600 mile service, but that would be for mostly road, light duty riding, I'd think. I can't imagine needing to change the oil more often than 2k miles under even rather heavy duty use.

The bikes are dry sumps and hold more oil than the high tension engines by, say, Honda or Yamaha.