G650GS vibration question???

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by rockycraig, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Zynth

Zynth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I own a G650GS sertao, and also experience problems in the 4-5k range.
    Just too much vibration. Wearing ear-plugs gives me a terrible headache due to it, my skull just seems to pick up on it.

at 3,5k rpm, it is as smooth as can be, but above 4k the seat starts vibrating. Rode an XT660 last week; no vibration at all. I desperately want to fix this :waysad
  2. MoDoc

MoDoc ***oc

Oddometer:
    One other thing I do is ride on a wool sheepskin & on long hauls I add an air hawk.
    Thumpers thump. That's their nature and character. BUT, the counterbalance in these bikes might have enough variation in design that it could equate to variability in vibration extremes that some consumers may find objectionable.
    Your dealer probably has no answers that your gonna like regarding vibration control.
    Off the top of MY head, Here are some thoughts I had-
    Handlebar end weights changes might help but you'll have to experiment. Tire pressure changes might also lessen the effects (i.e. less air). Carrying a lot of weight in the back end might lighten the front area enough to cause more (stronger) vibes. More cushion in either your hand gear and/or foot gear might contribute to lessening the effects of your sensitivity.
    If you like the bike otherwise, adjust yourself to it so you can enjoy yourself or get something else. Don't make it a P. I. the A. Otherwise, your just screwing yourself out of a great time.
    MoDoc
    P.S.
    I'm well over 20k on my thumper and really liking' it.
  3. toddlamp

toddlamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So it's been 3 years now what ended up happening? I recently aquired a 2014 G650GS Sertao and between 3-5k rpms the buzz is so bad it blurs my vision. I have just under 2000 miles on it. It is still under the factory warranty so I want to take advantage of that and hope you can provide some information for me to take to the service desk.
  4. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in what your dealer has to say about this.
  5. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    But the G650 has about the smoothest single there is.

Can you determine if it is RPM related or speed related? Are your mirrors blurry above idle? Worse upright or leaned over?

I've done multiple 10 hour days and can't complain about the bike. It does get a little buzzier as the engine revs up. The engine does get much smoother with miles. Mine was still getting smoother until about 7000 miles. I'm a wimp and usually drive near the speed limit these days.

What makes my hands and feet tingle is tires. I put a TKC80 on the front, and I couldn't drive over 70 MPH at all. Swapped the rim back to my Heidenau and I can drive 90 with little tingle.

Handlebar buzz can be filtered out by adding mass. Don't remove the bar end weights. A stiffer aftermarket bar, light a ProTaper or Renthal, will also help with buzz.

I recently added Vibranators. They reduced handlebar buzz at high speed somewhat. The way I installed them widened my bars by 20mm. The change in my personal hand/arm geometry reduced the effect even more.

One other source of buzz and noise: drive chain too tight.
  6. toddlamp

Oddometer:
    Mine is definitely engine based. Pulling the clutch at any speed eliminates all buzz. My problem is between 4-5k rpms when the buzz goes right through the seat to my head enough to blur my vision. At 3k it is wonderfully smooth. At 6k it is fast enough to be bearable but 4k-5k it's a bitch. I installed a BMW high seat which made it much better but it didn't go away. I torqued a few boldpts I could get at withoughpt removing any panels but that did not help much if at all.
  7. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    How many miles on the bike now?

Try sitting on the bike and revving the engine to 4500 (best if you have a centerstand), transmission in neutral. That should isolate engine vs. chain/chassis.

If it is engine, leave it on the centerstand, have someone else hold the throttle at 4500 and use a long heavy screwdriver to probe around the engine attachment points for the worst vibration. You should feel it right thru the screwdriver into the palm of your hand.

While doing this, try listening to the engine to see if there is any significantly different sound in the 4000-5000 range. Might indicate ECU issues.
  8. toddlamp

Oddometer:

Currently just over 2000 miles. I have already tested on the centerstand but good call on the screwdriver. I will do that and see what I can find.
  9. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Long screwdrivers also make great stethoscopes for finding engine noises. I've been wrenching since I was about 5.

I cruise the freeways at 65 - 70 MPH which is exactly 4000 - 5000 RPMs. No problem with vibrations. Just over 16,500 miles on the odo now.
  10. toddlamp

Oddometer:
    I am taking my GS to Bob's to have the service department look into it. I put the stock seat back on (from a BMW High seat) and the ride into work was torture). I'm hoping they can figure it out and will let you know what they say. Thankfully they have two used G650GS (MY10 and MY13; mine is a MY14) to compare to in case they tell me "that's normal".
  11. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Good luck. Hope the dealer can figure it out for you. If they don't give you a good answer, try calling the BMW corporate folks.
  12. toddlamp

Oddometer:
    The answer I was given was "they all do that". And to prove it I tested a 2013 G650GS and sure enough it did. not sure where to go from here but I guess giving BMW corporate a call certainly won't hurt. I find it very hard to believe that with this kind of vibration on the stock seat they were able to sell any 650's.
  13. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    I never thought to ask, but are there 6 or 8 rubber bumpers along the bottom edge of the seat where it rests on the frame? If they were missing, that would do it.
  14. foogr01

foogr01 On the scorpion trail...

Oddometer:
    Owned a 2009 G 650 GS (dual spark, same as the older F 650 GS 2004 - 2007 models and the 2010 G 650 GS) and can confirm that it is the smoothest thumper I've ridden. Will ask my mechanic if he knows something of this vibration problem on the later G models.
  15. toddlamp

Oddometer:
    I have three seats right now (stock, BMW High, Touratech xtra high) and all of them have 10 rubber pads in place. It is quite noticeably a vibration coming through the seat and not so much in other places from the tank up. I say this because I can feel a difference when I run my left hand from the front fender all the way to the back. You can feel where it starts and stops. Here is the rear subframe; only 4 connection points. I am going to start there trying to isolate the cause.

Attached Files:

16. Tom48

Tom48 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 03GS. I have ridden a 15 G. I halve a Meyer seat on mine and the 15 had a stock seat. I did not detect the 15 shaking while on the express way.
    The engine was improved over mine as was the shift quality on the 15
    I hope ya all find a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. KeithC

KeithC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you tried lighting some candles, playing some soft sexy sounds on the radio, and just enjoying it? :1drink
    but I digress.....tire selection would make a difference if you decide to try and make the bike vibrate less, along with all the other vibration abatement techniques mentioned heretofore. I guess their not called "thumpers" for no reason......safe travels
  18. Nelso

Nelso All the gear-no idea

Oddometer:
    It's interesting how vibes can vary from one bike to the next.

I had a 2011 KLR and it was pretty smooth. Then a 2011 G650GS and it was OK - not as smooth as the KLR. Then I got a Yammy XT660Z Tenere iand it's a buzzing bastard that I want to throw into the ocean.

What's the saying around this forum - YMMV?
  19. MikePike

MikePike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2014 vibes a bit also not sure if it is doing it as much as yours Toddlamp. I kind of accept it that it vibes and it feels almost like my old Versys to me.

Bob's BMW? That's where I bought mine. If you want to meet up one day to compare the vibes on the Sertao to a plain Jane GS let me know and I'd be happy to meet up and compare.

My seat that I got here on ADV is in the shop in Frederick right now. So I am stock seating it for a bit and it is a little more vibey.
  20. aarondenal

aarondenal n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Everyone, Just found this old thread. Hope you all are still out there. Anyways just bought a 2012 G650GS Sertao and I'm finding the same vibration issue mentioned above. Once I get to 4k RPM the vibration is so bad I cant see straight and my ass starts itching from the vibration. Really disappointed as I had dreams of riding this bike all over. Its definitely coming from the engine not the tires. If I pull in the clutch at 80mph the vibration totally goes away. Even while on the center stand at 4k the vibration is crazy. The bike is in excellent shape with 13k miles. I'm told at 12k it had the full factory service done with valves and all. Did anyone find any solutions to this problem? Did I just buy a lemon?