G650X accessory outlet

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JefRo, Apr 28, 2007.

1. JefRo

JefRo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a new 650X a month ago. It was not equipped with a 12 V accessory outlet whereas current units in the dealer are so equipped.
    I picked up an outlet a couple of days ago, part number 61 34 7 694 306.
    Incidentally, this is not the same as the older BMW outlets; it is almost completely plastic whereas the older outlets have a metal threaded bushing.
    Also, the receptacle on the rear is different and not compatible with the older version.

The bike harness connector which plugs into the accessory outlet, loose under the seat, mates with the outlet, but was miswired. Fortunately, the red and brown wires can be pulled out of the harness plug, reversed, and poked back into the harness plug with correct polarity.

I do not know how many bikes were shipped in this condition, but be forwarned that if your ride did not come with an outlet, then you should double check the 12 volt polarity after you install the outlet. Perhaps BMW Atlanta could chime in on this matter since they have a lot of experience with these models.

By the way, the bike is really awesome, and in some ways is more of a hoot than my HP2. I just did about 60 miles of rocky and smooth single-track all day today and the light weight and power response is incredible. Can't wait to wear out the stock Saharas and install some full on knobbies.
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up. I hope you didn't have to pay for the accessory socket if it's supposed to be included. :thumb
  3. MR.REED

MR.REED n00b

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info im going to the dealer to get mine today!
  4. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    I didn't even know there was supposed to be a socket.

Where is it supposed to be so I can look for mine?
  5. Hoots Magoon

Hoots Magoon Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer:
    There is lots of info in the Index, but the treads you are looking for are here & here.
  6. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    I think the earlier ones did not have it, but the newer ones did. I ordered one along with the handgards to be installed before I picked up my XCH, but the dealer said it came out of the crate with one.

Maybe the early builds do not have one and the late builds do.

I have a steel kickstand as well, so I assume my bike is a later one.
  7. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Ah, I think I have an early build but seeing hoots' post, adding it shouldn't be tough.
  8. P3R

P3R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AFAIK the socket is standard on ABS-bikes and extra on non-ABS.
  9. Nemesis

Nemesis just ride the damn thing

Oddometer:
    This is exactly right, ABS equipped Xchallenges have the socket factory installed, non-ABS bikes don't.

And the cross-polarity of the sockets is a well known early issue with the bikes, whether they are ABS equipped or not. JefRo's dealer should be bitchslapped :thwak for not running the VIN on the bike and double-checking all campaigns before delivering the bike.

Just sayin'

:gerg