GA TN Tracks

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by rwiles, Mar 17, 2017.

1. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are some Tracks in N Georgia and some TN. If you use Pocket Earth, I can send a more detailed file

Attached Files:

2. srelegante

srelegante srelegante

Oddometer:
    Sir-do you have this in any other format? We are headed up this weekend and I am trying to put a route together.

Thanks!

Curt
  3. checks out

checks out Adventurer

Oddometer:
    this is awesome, saving this one! might add to it
    thanks man!
  4. Greg di

Greg di Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a really dumb question... I ride up here all the time. Generally, I plan the route on my Garmin NAV V and just follow it.

What is the point of having tracks for roads that are on a map already?

How would I take some other person's tracks and use them to my benefit?

I told you these were dumb questions!
  5. drm

drm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tracks allow for a highlighted roads without routing. a route could get routed by gps and take you away from your planned route. tracks work way better for me off the beaten path.
    mdsn969 and Littlesammy78 like this.
  6. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Since no one answered your how-to question... If you have a Nav V (or other variants of the BMW nav) you have a device that easily supports tracks. You'll need a copy of the free software from Garmin called Basecamp which will allow you to import a GPX file containing the tracks. Most people post up their tracks in GPX format. Once you have the track imported into a Basecamp list, you can edit the color that is used on your device for the track and you can actually edit the track itself removing points or splitting the track into multiple tracks. There are how-to videos and explanations around on all the more advanced techniques in Basecamp.

As drm mentioned, the most significant distinction between a route and a track is how your GPS deals with it. A route is something that is calculated (and often recalculated) by your GPS as you ride. It gives you the distance to your destination, next turn, and ETAs. A track becomes nothing more than a line on your GPS that becomes part of the map. The GPS has no knowledge of whether or not you're following it and therefore can't mess with it when it thinks you're off course or it knows a better way to go. Tracks are preferred by nearly everyone trying to follow the exact path that's intended because you know that your GPS hasn't messed with the routing. For example, you could ride from Damascus Virginia to Port Orford Oregon by following Sam Correro's TAT tracks or you could ride from the start to the finish by letting your GPS route you. The former would take you along the route of the TAT while the latter will be constantly routing you according to the preferences you have set up in your GPS - likely on highways.

So if you want to ride the TAT, the Smoky 500/1000, the TPAT, or any of the other great rides published on here, the clearly best way, IMO, is to do it the way I mentioned in the first paragraph of this post.
    Frank smith and drm like this.
  7. Frank smith

Frank smith R1200GSA, WR250R, TMAX

Oddometer:
    Are these tracks suited more towards Big bikes or smaller dirt bikes? Just need to know if I would be getting myself in trouble aboard the big pig GSA. Thanks.
  8. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode the Smoky 500 on my 1200GS and it was pretty easy. There are a few rocky places where you need some skill but most of it is easy dirt/gravel road riding. The SEAT is also very big bike friendly as is the Smoky 1000. There are some tracks in the N. Georgia, TN, WNC hills that are a bit more gnarly but if you post up the ride you're thinking about chances are someone's been there and can let you know. When I first started going off into the woods by myself, I made the rule that I wouldn't ride into anything I couldn't ride back out of if needs be. That pretty much works on any size bike :)
    Snake Oiler and Steve Lewis like this.