Gael warning in the Congo

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by simondippenhall, Sep 30, 2018.

1. simondippenhall

simondippenhall Simondippenhall

Oddometer:
    Following my ride from London through West Africa to Cameroon last winter, I have just restarted my journey today from Yaoundé on my 2003 r1150 GS, heading South towards the Congo (just as the rainy season kicks off there ).

IMG_1180.jpg

With apologies to Mods for being a flagrant scofflaw, you will find my ride report here:
    http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/491947-Gael-warning-in-the-Congo?p=5181331

Unfortunately I don't have enough bandwidth to post the RR on both fora, and my various bike related technical issues combined with my complete technical ignorance mean I cling to UKGSer!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. simondippenhall

Oddometer:
    So after several technical issues, and a complete ECU failure 200kms from the nearest tarmac, I have made it to Pointe Noire in Republic of Congo.

[​IMG]

Celebrating my last Congolese evening until I return in January with the required parts
    [​IMG]

The full ride report of this eventful trip, along with many photos, is at

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/491947-Gael-warning-in-the-Congo

Simon

[​IMG]

3. JeepDawg

JeepDawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a GS being used like it was designed for!
  4. shuswap1

shuswap1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dunno mate..... "after several technical issues, and a complete ECU failure 200kms from the nearest tarmac" ......sounds a little bit like adventure not planned for. Hope it's all coming together for the GS from this point forward.
  5. simondippenhall

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys....I think the 130,000 kms already done across gnarly places like Syria, Armenia, Iran as well as Africa are beginning to take their toll.

Lots more info in the RR through the link.

6. simondippenhall

Oddometer:
    Quick update: I have this morning put the bike on a ship in Haifa, Israel for Athens after a 40,000 kms + circuit of Africa and transit through Saudi Arabia.

The downward leg is shown here....I have yet to update this to show the route I have taken up the East Coast as far as Sudan, where I took a Ferry across the Red Sea to Saudi

A few tasters here and the rest is at the link below
    Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 12.58.17.JPG

Boarding near Port Sudan
    IMG_7380.JPG IMG_7383.JPG

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/491947-Gael-warning-in-the-Congo
  7. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really nice trip around Africa and beyond on the old big girl! Thanks for sharing :lurk
  8. simondippenhall

Oddometer:
    My pleasure.

She is now on the high seas between Haifa Israel and Athens Greece
    IMG_7694.JPG IMG_7692.JPG

Then after a Monday pickup and re-entry into EU after more than two years away, the ride North to Bulgaria
    IMG_7732.JPG

Meanwhile I am enjoying the beach IMG_7730.JPG
    yokesman likes this.
  9. simondippenhall

Oddometer:
    Well that wasn't so difficult!

! (It's not often I get to say that so I am savouring it).

Caught an early train (0625) from Halifa to Ben Gurion airport. Being an Israeli Monday morning it was rammed but for to the airport by 8 and after a 15 minutes bus ride to Terminal 1 which Ryanair and Wizz use (and which was perfectly OK BTW) I was through the thorough security and all done by 0845 leaving me a couple of hours wait for the flight.

Once in Athens airport I took a taxi 35 kms to the port as on Sunday there was little alternative.

My lodgings were clean and spacious and (by Israel standard) cheap. And I could see my ship had arrived, just visible from my balcony. IMG_7749.JPG .

I had been warned by the ships first officer in Haifa that Customs were closed until 0800 Monday so I should not rush. So I resigned my self to another dull Sunday (to match the previous day's Shabbat in Haifa).

Nonetheless I decided to take a closer look.
  10. simondippenhall

Oddometer:
    IMG_7752.JPG

In truth there were warning signs not to enter the small port without all sorts of official documents.

But I could see the bike was unloaded, and cosying up to a similarly coloured fork lift truck:
    IMG_7753.JPG
  11. simondippenhall

Oddometer:
    So I found a way in and ambled over to the security box where two chaos said to come over. I told them it was my bike and they said: 'show us your ID and the log book and you can take it away now'!!

So I quickly did that, signed an official receipt and I was away in under 5 minutes!

Here's the bike back at my digs
    IMG_7754.JPG

I had mentally set aside a good part of Monday morning for Customs paperwork so this was a real win! And they had literally just offloaded the bike so it had missed the earlier heavy rain...glad I wasn't going to have a soggy sheepskin.

And the good ship Alexio is riding a lot higher in the water now the GS has been offliaded
    IMG_7756.JPG
    DavidM1 likes this.
  12. simondippenhall

Oddometer:
    A cool but beautiful day to ride the coast of Greece
    IMG_7768.JPG

Now breaking my journey at Kavala before turning North tomorrow, into nearby Bulgaria
    IMG_7769.JPG
  13. simondippenhall

Oddometer:
    A great ride north into Bulgaria
    IMG_7801.JPG IMG_7797.JPG IMG_7796.JPG IMG_7784.JPG IMG_7777.JPG

The flight to London is 24 hours away...first make my way tomorrow morning to Motocamp in Idilevo, not far from here. Looks a great place and that's where my GS will spend the winter

http://motosapiens.org/motocamp/
    yokesman likes this.