Gaerne Dakar ?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by amol, Apr 20, 2021.

1. amol

amol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't been able to find any information on these. Looks like they were announced this year.

Anyone seen/tried them on ?

Gaerne Fastback Enduro would be great if they were waterproof and these seem similar in construction (but perhaps not as protective ?)

thanks.
  2. Mahhbechh

Mahhbechh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Go for Alpinestars Toucan if you want a first class waterproof boot. They're the best Ive ever had.
  3. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Have you had a Gaerne Dakar or Fastback Enduro? If not I fail to see any point in your post or relevance to the OP, just an unwanted opinion.
    RTWstare, ag40, Jorugburn and 8 others like this.
  4. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    If you find any information about when Gaerne are resuming production, I’d love to know, as I’m looking for some too.
  5. Mahhbechh

Mahhbechh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, Ive had the Dakar boot and now the Alpinestars Toucan - and they're in a different league. The Dakars are great with good comfort and all, but the real difference is when the heavy rain comes.
    Blakduk likes this.
  6. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Dakar is available in a Goretex model, so I fail to see how it could be any different, and seems to be a new model. Looks really nice, I had the older Gaerne Midland GTX and it was totally waterproof and very comfortable - but an ankle hinge would’ve been the icing on the cake. Surprised it took Gaerne this long to put out an adventure boot with a hinge to compete with the Sidi / A* options.

Looks like it’s using the hinge from the Fastback too?
    Peanut_Buttery and Brtp4 like this.
  7. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn. I know what I am buying when I need to replace my Sidi Adventure 2 boots....Love the look of those Dakar Goretex boots.
  8. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    I have the Gaerne Enduro Fastback. So far so good. Not waterproof but that means my feet stay dry from not sweating to death and GoreTex socks fixes that. I am looking at the Dakar for a more street oriented touring option though.

For what it’s worth. I had several years in Alpinestars Toucan and they quite frankly are shit. They went back twice for warranty and no hinged ankle meant over time the plastic on the inside ankle ended up rubbing on my leg causing raw spots. Wish I had gotten rid of them years ago.
    Erock70 and Gondul like this.
  9. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because I have a Serious Gear Problem, I just ordered a pair of these in size 48 / 13US. I've switched from "adventure" style boots (Toucans) to a full on MX over the last year because I've been doing a lot of 2up on my Africa Twin and found the lateral support incredibly helpful at feeling stable at a stop with the extra top weight of a second person, and my feet run too big/wide for the Sidi Adventures. I'm also planning to order in a pair of the Fastbacks from Brian at Atomic Moto when he gets stock in next month, so I'll be able to provide a good comparison between these boots, the Fastback, and the Crossfire 3s.
  10. amol

amol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    did you order from fc-moto or another European site ?
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motostorm - for Italian products I find them to have the best shipping time (if it's in stock). Just make 100% sure you know your size!
  12. amol

amol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that's a tricky one. my running shoes are 43, but my daytonas are 42. If i can find another Gaerne locally to try on, that might help me decide.
  13. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you’re in the US, I’d hit Atomic Moto up and see if they’re getting a shipment of Dakar’s in first. That gives you the chance to do a return if the size doesn’t work out, and if pricing holds like it has for the Fastback it won’t be any cheaper ordering from overseas after shipping is factored in. Plus you can support one of the best boot focused shops in the community!
    Brtp4 likes this.
  14. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paging Dr. @Brtp4
    Brtp4 likes this.
  15. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So quick update, since Motostorm shipping is the usual absurd 2 business days. It's an interesting hybrid of a Fastback and something like their older Midland GTX boot. It has the Fastback Enduro's sole (so partially lugged, with a smooth inner area for better feel and no catching on pegs), what looks like the same hinge and heel cup, but doesn't have the forefoot plastics. The toe area also has no shank, it ends in the mid foot.

Weight wise: Size 48/13 Sidi Crossfire 3s are 5lbs 3.4oz on my scale. Dakar's are 3lbs 7.3oz.

Super comfy. Usual Gaerne exceptional quality. Still thinking the Fastback might be better for my use since it should have a touch more lateral stability when stopping my big bike on uneven surfaces 2up, but this is a hell of a nice touring / adventure boot.
    flux_capacitor and amol like this.
  16. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a quick video look, credit to Brian / Atomic-Moto for putting the sole-flex test in my head:

17. amol

amol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice review thanks. I'm not a hardcore off-roader so maybe these are fine. Would like a full shank in the sole, but what can you do.
  18. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm really hoping that Gaerne's distributor is able to bring these in at a sub $400 price point, like the aggressive pricing the Fastback has done. I think the Sidi and A* options have a bit more "protection" with the extra plastics, but the light weight and quality of this boot are truly awesome. Plus it's real leather, unlike the Adventure 2 - and doesn't have the single sided hinge thing like the Toucan.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  19. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quick update: took these out for a brief spin tonight to test feel. Walking around, they felt like a pair of big Italian alpine hiking boots - and the enduro sole has a nice natural feel with good grip on things like the slick concrete in my garage. The hinge action on this (and the Fastback) is unreal, so smooth and utterly silent. I was a little worried about the ease of flex in the boot above the pivot point, but it wasn't immediately noticeable as an issue from a bracing perspective - obviously might be a different story with a bike on top of you or an accident. Only stood on the pegs briefly, and you definitely want to stand mid-foot, but didn't seem bad.

Im still in a tossup between this and the Fastback - but selling my Crossfires for sure. THey're just overkill for my riding, and I'm really appreciating the pared down feel of these Gaernes.

Couple general Gaerne notes: as I saw Brian note in one of his reviews, the Gaerne buckles don't have quite the leverage in fastening then the Sidi ones. They do have a MUCH easier action though, and feel a bit stouter. Additionally, the adjustment method for the straps is brilliant - just needs a little bit of pressure and angle when loose and it's easy to slip back and forth, not like the Sidi's big clip in/out swing.

AND NO SQUEAK
    ZoomerP and flamingm0e like this.
  20. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    These seem pretty nice!
    cblais19 likes this.