GAIA & ANDROID

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Jxnman, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Jxnman

Jxnman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love Gaia and hate Gaia.... I got a Keyocera phone to use as my GPS...60 bucks...great deal, not using it as my phone, solely for navigation. Gaia works pretty well on the iphone but it is often a giant pain on the android.... things don't display "quite right" and I have a problem being unable to "hide" tracks wpts etc from my map... so it is constantly cluttered with info I don't want or need. Has anyone suffered thru this?.... know any workarounds? I truly want it to work because when it does it works VERY well, great maps accessible when there is NO signal, tons of great features. .....
    thanks
  2. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gaia is fully functional on Android. You can hide/show the exact same things you can on iOS.

Now, the PERFORMANCE is vastly different. iOS is so much better performing for Gaia than Android. I have reached out to their support about this, but have gotten no answers as to why. Just the act of drawing the maps, and moving around on the map is MUCH more fluid on iOS.
  3. Jxnman

Jxnman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply......hmmmm... I have not found it to be fully functional. I have had it side by side with the iphone and been able to "close" the eye (hide) things on my iphone but the "eye" is not "clickable on the android. Many other disparities between the 2 have also appeared,,, strange stuff. Waypoints don't even display the eye icon in some instances on the droid. Indeed as you say , route creation and moving about is much easier on IOS.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    The eyeball doesn't show on any waypoints on either device. It's a problem Gaia has had for a long time of not being able to easily hide waypoints. If you put them in a folder, I believe you can hide the folder though. I have successfully done this before.

The eyeball is there on tracks, routes, folders, etc on both devices and work the same on both devices. So what you are experiencing is nothing to do with Android in particular, but your device or configuration. I can tap on the eyeball to hide/unhide all those things.
  5. dhally

dhally Hammerhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are two ways to hide waypoints in Gaia Android. Press the layers icon and at the bottom of the map list you can turn on or off waypoints, tracks, routes, etc. This will turn off all waypoints. You can also hide waypoint labels here which declutters.

The other way, as mentioned above, is to move the waypoint(s) to a folder and then hide the folder from the folder list. I like this method. The trick is to put the waypoints in folders as they're created...

Another way to declutter is in Settings select "cluster waypoints" which combines waypoints when zoomed out.

You can also hide individual waypoints in gaiagps.com but not sure if that hides it on the app.
    EmmEff likes this.