Gaia GPS vs Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Surfnjmatt, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Surfnjmatt

Surfnjmatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can I get just a much functionality out of my iPhone with Gaia and the pro membership as I can with Garmin?

Are there any drawbacks that I am missing?
  2. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    iPhones can have heat tolerance issues,need additional shock and weather protection(depending on model),not as easy as a GPS to operate while moving.
    Number of folks using various phones for GPS guidance with reasonable success.
    I need my iPhone for other things,so it is in my pocket or tankbag as a backup to my GPS,but only if needed.

JR356
  3. dhally

dhally Hammerhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gaia doesn't have turn by turn navigation. The Pro membership is for more maps and overlays, may not need them.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    i thought the pro version was just for more maps ?

have you tried motionx ?
  5. Pepperjack

Pepperjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I highly recommend... blackview BV6000s. LocusMaps. Quad lock mount. IP68 rated.

Awesome...rugged as. See YouTube videos ... guy hammers nails in with the screen.

I've used lots of different GPSs...Garmin..how they are still in business I'll never know, marketing.

BV6000s...$160aud delivered!!!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    petertakov likes this.
  6. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use Gaia on my iPhone and think it is fantastic, it does everything I need. I find it to be much more intuitive to use than the Garmin Montana that I owned (then sold). The good news is that you can try it for free (or extremely cheap if you get the $20/year version) to see if it will work for what you want.
  7. Surfnjmatt

Surfnjmatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Addapost can it do turn by turn when you upload a gpx file of trails
  8. Addapost

Oddometer:
    I don’t think Gaia does turn by turn. I don’t use turn by turn, I can’t hear anything in my helmet and I just want to follow a colored line on the screen. I believe there are other apps for phones (maybe only on Androids?) that might do turn by turn but I don’t think Gaia does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the benefit of "turn-by-turn" voice navigation over following a bright coloured line on the display, especially for motorcycling? What does even "turn-by-turn" mean in the context of riding trails - "turn left after the second bush"?
  10. huguesfrederic

huguesfrederic HF

Oddometer:
    petertakov likes this.
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:

It's not very useful on trails, since the trail pretty much shows where to turn. At trail heads it's pretty handy to have the bright line on the screen, but turn by turn is most useful in cities with HEAVY traffic that you really want to be watching instead of the screen.
  12. petertakov

Oddometer:
    But the topic is "Gaia vs Garmin Montana", not Nuvi or similar - what does heavy city traffic got to do with it :-)) Plus following a line on the display doesn't mean staring at it all the time (at least I don't) - it means taking a glance whenever there is a crossroad or split. In fact, I find this to be less distracting than the sometimes excessive amount of notifications given by turn-by-turn navigation by default.
    huguesfrederic likes this.
  13. ohgood

Oddometer:

I'm agreeing with you... But expanded on where turn by turn is useful, with or without the Montana and it's limitations as it cannot do voice prompts for turn by turn. Just figured you were used to those limitations and needed a scenario where turn by turn works well, to understand it's usefulness. :-)
    petertakov likes this.
  14. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get by well with just following tracks when out in the boonies.

But I have found verbal turn information much better than tracks when driving in big cities with complicated street patterns and lots of traffic.

But I use the Montana for both.
  15. 71tr

71tr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy a cheap used waterproof/mil-spec android phone with no service contract and put Osmand+ or LocusPro on there and enjoy the ride. Garmin Montana is a heavy brick, overpriced with overpriced Garmin maps. In fact, with the money you save buy two used android phones keeping one as a backup then take you and your buddies out for beer with the leftover funds.
    petertakov likes this.
  16. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    As of yet there are no iOS/Android apps that match the feature set of a Montana. I've been keeping an eye on them because the Montana has drawbacks too, but as of yet the only app that comes even vaguely close to what I do with the Montana is Scenic.

Depending on what exactly you want to do with it, you may find an iOS app that fulfills your needs. But the Montana is a very sophisticated, feature-rich, rugged unit compared with anything available for iPhone, so the existing apps have a long way to go before they're better overall.

--mark
  17. Addapost

Oddometer:
    Disclaimer- I am REALLY bad with any technology. Think of the most technologically challenged person you know- maybe an elderly grandmother, and multiply by 10. I am stoopid. I had never used a gps before and bought a Montana last year to use on my dual sport to make tracks and download and follow tracks from the webs.. I spent many hours over several months trying to learn how to use it. I read forum threads and tutorials. I had several nice folks respond to my questions. I honestly never got beyond learning how to turn it on. I couldn't figure out how to do ANYTHING with it. In the course of trying to figure out the Montana I discovered that smartphones with free/cheap apps do the job (who knew? I had no idea). So I put the $20 version of Gaia on my phone, watched one 20 minute tutorial and had the thing running. I was easily able to download maps onto my phone. I have downloaded and followed several DS tracks. I can record what I ride. I can create tracks on the screen. etc etc I am honestly curious what it is that a Montana will do that the phone won't. In my experience the difference between learning to use the Montana (impossible) and learning to use the iPhone/Gaia (simple) is unbridgeable.
  18. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I suspect you've got a bit of a mental block against learning how to use the Montana. The iPhone is easy for you because you're used to it. The Montana is Different, and so when confronted with learning an unexpected way of doing things, your brain says "Nope!" despite the Montana actually being very easy to use as well (and you would be far from the first to have this happen -- I've seen it many times applied to many different products). Truth be told, the Montana is actually easier to use than a lot of the smartphone apps.

My complaint with the smartphones is that in order to accomplish all the same things I do at once with the Montana, I would need to run several apps simultaneously, which is a nonstarter for me. And even the best of the apps suffer from some user interface issues that render them less usable on the bike than the Montana (map display, etc).

There's definite potential for an iOS app to come along and blow the Montana out of the water -- but as of yet, it doesn't exist.

--mark
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:

I'm curious what features you're referring to the the Montana has, but phone apps do not.
  20. petertakov

Oddometer:
    Like what, for exemple?