Gaia to Montana routing trouble

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by trampaslake, Oct 11, 2020.

  1. trampaslake

    trampaslake Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Oddometer:
    288
    Location:
    Texas
    Hello all,

    I created a route in Gaia and exported the GPX to my desktop then imported to Basecamp. When I exported it to the Montana, the route loses all but the first 2.4 miles. The route is over 90 miles. For the life of me I can't figure out why. Anybody here more tech savvy than I?

    Thanks in advance!
    #1
  2. wbbnm

    wbbnm Long timer

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2007
    Oddometer:
    6,018
    Location:
    MN and NM
    I have just started looking into Gaia and have a lot to learn. I did discover when I created a route that the gpx file consisted of probably hundreds of closely spaced waypoints instead of the sparse set of maybe 5 waypoints that I used to create the route.

    I know the Montana has a limit of 50 waypoints for an autorouting route. So I suspect your route has too many points in the route file for the Montana.

    One solution is to convert the route to a track. I haven't found that capability in Gaia yet. You could load the route into Basecamp and convert it or use some 3rd party software like WinGDB3.

    Or else you could figure out a way to tell the Montana that this is a Direct Route. But the limit there is 250 points which is still very restrictive.
    #2
  3. trampaslake

    trampaslake Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Oddometer:
    288
    Location:
    Texas
    You're probably right. I'll give it a shot by converting it. Thanks!
    #3