Gaia to Montana routing trouble

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by trampaslake, Oct 11, 2020.

1. trampaslake

trampaslake Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

I created a route in Gaia and exported the GPX to my desktop then imported to Basecamp. When I exported it to the Montana, the route loses all but the first 2.4 miles. The route is over 90 miles. For the life of me I can't figure out why. Anybody here more tech savvy than I?

Thanks in advance!
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have just started looking into Gaia and have a lot to learn. I did discover when I created a route that the gpx file consisted of probably hundreds of closely spaced waypoints instead of the sparse set of maybe 5 waypoints that I used to create the route.

I know the Montana has a limit of 50 waypoints for an autorouting route. So I suspect your route has too many points in the route file for the Montana.

One solution is to convert the route to a track. I haven't found that capability in Gaia yet. You could load the route into Basecamp and convert it or use some 3rd party software like WinGDB3.

Or else you could figure out a way to tell the Montana that this is a Direct Route. But the limit there is 250 points which is still very restrictive.
  3. trampaslake

trampaslake Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're probably right. I'll give it a shot by converting it. Thanks!