Galaxy Tab Active 2

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by BigBeam, Nov 10, 2018.

1. BigBeam

BigBeam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ohgood, 9Realms and lukeinlondon like this.
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Unfortunately its too large for my applications, otherwise homerun.
  3. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    I have the S7 Active and if Samsung has stayed up to snuff on their build quality, they're pretty darn great as a do-it-all phone. I don't use it for bike nav, since I have a dedicated Garmin unit for that as I don't necessarily trust microUSB as an interface for bikes, but overall I have no major complaints. Have taken it hiking, cycling, riding, on countless hours of field biological surveys (the real reason I got the phone), and myriad other adventures. The extended battery life relative to the stock S7 is also handy.

The plastic screen does scratch somewhat easily, but my best approach to that is to always keep keys or coins in another pocket.
    The touchscreen does get VERY finicky in the wet, I will warn you now.
  4. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it's well made and would be great for many things. Especially if a person had a business need for it and could get dual duty/use from one. It would be great mounted in a vehicle for business use (as long as a person didn't fiddle with it while driving).

I see they do in fact include the price on your link, out of my price range though :( :

$519.99
    Galaxy Tab Active2, Unlocked, Black
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

you won't need the cellular data, unless you like to do stuff like lookup hotel/fuel/food in towns that you are arriving.
    (opinion incoming!)
    the size is way too big for dirt/dual sport use, but might look at home behind a street/touring bikes windshield.

the rugged Samsung devices are some of my favorite. they have the most sensors, really good gps antennas and battery conservation is good. i have an old rugby pro (i547) that still does a fine job for gps duties, all these years later.

if you decide to go that route, get a semi opaque screen protector and you'll have less glare, along with a little protection.
  6. BoomerE30

BoomerE30 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very tempted to buy this unit as well. Can be an amazing GPS device if you have enough space on the bike
  7. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    That thing sounds really good. Not sure about the size but I'm using a standard 7" Tab A for my GPS on my dirt and DS bike. No problems so far. I love it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW I have the previous version, Galaxy Tab Active.
    I find its size overkill for road use, but handy for off-road if you have the room for it.
    I am not sold on android GPS for road (routes vs track) use either.

Glare was awful, (makes a great mirror) pretty much unusable as delivered unless you live where it is cloudy all the time or have lots of tree cover.
    I added a matte screen protector and it is better.
    Mine is NOT glove friendly, perhaps the newer version is better.
    Better suited for my Jeep than the bike IMO, though glare is still an issue with the top off.

You don't need a data plan, I use bluetooth tethering to my main phone for any data I need.
    It can be a little funky/clunky getting them linked up at times.....but it's free.

I never popped for the pogo powered mount as the RAM version IS NOT waterproof on its own, even though the GPS (and its USB port) is.

20190413_123152.jpg
    farmerger likes this.