1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Galena Friday

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by McD, Nov 2, 2004.

1. skeeter

skeeter Captain Safety

Oddometer:
    It was a great ride:thumb We found lots of gravel, lots of twisties and lots of hills. They were scraping quite a few of the gravel roads up there so quite a bit of the riding was on really loose gravel.

[​IMG]
    The heated grips definately made the highway ride more enjoyable:thumb :thumb
  2. McD

McD Nothing

Oddometer:
    :flip
  3. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    nice area to ride.
    good to see you all made it home on your own machines.
    how far from wrigleyville?

where did you eat?

cheer
    chain
  4. McD

McD Nothing

Oddometer:
    Food was just a quick bite at McDonalds/gas stop. We did stop for a 20min. break in Galena.
    [​IMG]
    Other than that out of the nearly 12 hour ride, I'd say 10.5-11 were spent in the saddle. I didn't keep track of the total miles though, maybe someone else did.
    My left turn signal stopped working on the way home, just a bulb, I think that was the only mechanical casualty.
  5. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    MC DONALDS? :huh

that is surely a sin when riding in such great country :deal
  6. motojoe

motojoe Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer:
    looks damn good, gotta get out that way this coming spring myself.
  7. McD

McD Nothing

Oddometer:
    I know, I know, but the gravel roads were calling :ear
  8. Panic

Panic Anxiety's little friend

Oddometer:
    I clocked close to 400 miles on Friday.
    Micky Dees was prolly not the best choice for lunch, but it was attached to the gas station so made for a quick get and go.
    No offs and no bike issues made for lots of riding.
    The freshly graded gravel sections reminded me of skiing........ like carving in fresh groomed snow. Really soft and easy to get the tires to slide a bit. We found some nice areas looking for interesting gravel. The area around Savanah and Galena has a lot of nice curvy/hilly areas with the valleys loaded with picturesque farms and fields. A lot of the farmers were harvesting the corn crops, but almost every guy on a farm implement gave us a wave. McD's pics make it look like all straight roads, but really not the case.
    One of those days where you get home exhausted, but with a stupid little grin on your face. :wink:
    I think Skeeter, McD, and Mario would concur that it was a Friday well spent. :thumb
  9. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    very nice,
    just giving you boys a hard time for feeding at corporate greaser :lol3
    I have only been up that way one time and from what I saw and the maps it looks sweet.

My claims of 200 miles on the back of a klr were not accurate. It tallied out at 140 when I went back to pick up the Dakar at Poopys.
    140 miles in rain, fog and looming darkness on the back of a klr = 200 miles.

140+ (r,f,ld)=200 really a very common equation :lol3

my point being that I think this is close to equal distance for us downstaters and you city folk. perhaps we should schedule a Spring event up there

Anybody got a line on private ground in the area where we can camp, base out of?

cheers
    chain
  10. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Maybe, I'll check with my dad. He lives just outside of galena in the Eagle ridge Territories. Dont know if tents and such are allowed but hes pretty cool, and they have a walk out basement under the garage that is finished so could work as a bunk house.
  11. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    We could limit it to fewer riders if need be.
    Should we send oldschool a gps to start routing a coarse? :evil
  12. Shadow

Shadow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a busy Saturday so I'm a little late with my report. It was a day well spent. Thanks for the company, guys. I wish we had more time to explore the area. It's definately worth going back again. It would have helped if we had GPS routes prepared. As usual, everyone was enjoying themselves so much that there was little time to take pictures. Here is a few that I took even though it's not much to show for a whole day of riding. On the bottom I put the link to the rest of the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://home.comcast.net/~motomania/GALENA04/index.html
  13. McD

McD Nothing

Oddometer:
    Nice pics Mario. :thumb
  14. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    We could also consider camping at a park? Of course this is assuming that everone has a street legal bike. Mississipi Palisades Park is very nice although it may not be open prior to May 1.

Just a thought...

http://www.savanna-il.com/palisades.htm