Galileo (guru gps) App

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by mosey.levy, May 13, 2018.

1. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

2. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Ok. Looking into this.
    mosey.levy likes this.
  3. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
  4. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using this app for a while and I love the simplicity of it. IMO, a much cleaner interface than some other apps.

BTW, I enjoy your podcast. Looking forward to an episode on your MABDR experience.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    mosey.levy likes this.
  5. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Galileo is pretty good although people seem nowadays to prefer Maps.me - a similar app with a bit more functionality.
  6. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does it let you import GPX files and view waypoints?
  7. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Pocket Earth Pro is a great alternative for iOS users. I actually like it better than Galileo (which I in turn like better than most of the other GPS apps).

--mark
    theregulator and mosey.levy like this.
  8. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why details please! Thxz
  9. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn’t love pocket earth. Curious to hear what you liked about it better.

For me, the touch icons are too small, it doesn’t show waypoint names as you travel (you have to tap each one?) and changing the colors of each leg (track) of a route seems to change all the colors of the tracks (sometimes - this was weird).

Maybe I’m missing something ?
    Screenshot of the two apps compared. Same section showing 3 water crossings.

Pocket earth:
    [​IMG]

Galileo:
    [​IMG]
  10. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
  11. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Depends on what you want out of it and how you use it. I tried OSMand and didn't care for it.
  12. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've recently started playing around with Galileo Pro since it works with the Dual XGPS 160 GPS receiver. My favorite app thus far, although it still needs some refinement for Adv use, is Scenic but it isn't compatible with the XGPS 160. I've pasted in below, an email I sent to Galileo, and am posting it here to see if you more experienced users have any thoughts on the items listed. I've been through the manual, but haven't found anything there that would address any of the issues. Interestingly, and unlike with Scenic, I haven't heard anything back from them. So the developers obviously aren't into their community of users like Scenic is. This likely means actually getting features implemented in any kind of realistic time frame is unlikely.

Hello;

I’ve recently started exploring Galileo Pro due to it’s compatibility with the Dual XGPS 160. The use of the app is for on road and remote off road navigation on my Motorcycle. I’m running Galileo on an iPad mini 4 WiFi + cellular.

Overall I really like Galileo, and the very well thought out UI is the most intuitive of the apps I've tried thus far. That said, there were some issues, so I thought I would reach to see if you might be willing to address these. There is a pretty significant Galileo user base on the ADV Rider forum, so I believe my feature requests will be well received by this segment of users.

Riding this last weekend was my first time using Galileo. I imported a test track I’ve used to evaluate a bunch of apps. The first ride I selected that track and then hit the “navigate” button. Feedback on this mode:

1) The track color set isn’t used, it’s always blue. The real bummer though is that so is the arrow, so it’s very hard to see your location. You know it’s the center bottom of the screen but the arrow and route line should always be contrasting colors so you quickly see your location. It would be awesome to be able to select the route line, and arrow color as well scale the route line weight and arrow size.
    2) The track line is too thin and the arrow too small, so visibility bouncing around off road with a dusty screen and the sun on it makes it really hard to see. On a motorcycle, to be safe, you need to look down, see what you need, and then get your eyes back on the road, stuff needs to be big, bright, and obvious.
    3) If you start navigating a route from a position other than the start. You get a straight “as the crow flies” line to the start rather than routed on roads.
    4) No 3D perspective view option for navigation.
    5) No control to set auto zooming preferences/limits. I found most of the time the zoom level was such that no names of surrounding roads showed.
    6) No += zoom button and double tapping the screen didn’t work either.
    7) No speed limit info given.
    8) The text for the next cross street is WAAAY too small.

The next ride I set the same track visible on the map, then hit “record” and followed the track. Off road this is the most appropriate mode to use. Observations from this mode:
    1) Again track line too small, and pointer too small as well.
    2) No 3D perspective view. I really like this type view, because you are seeing where to go in a similar fashion to the road ahead of you.
    3) No next cross street info shown.
    4) No speed limit info shown.

General comments:
    1) In general, for off road motorcycle use, all buttons and text are too small, and I can’t stress this enough. Would be great to have an “off road” or “glove friendly” mode that allowed scaling of the UI, especially on an iPad where you have the screen real estate. MotionX really got this part right.
    2) I put my iPad in airplane mode to force it to use the location data from the XGPS 160. Would be awesome to be able to select which gps source like the mob armor app. Would also be awesome if you could choose to have it list on the screen at the top or bottom which gps signal is being used.
    3) For some reason Galileo didn’t seem to be as accurate using the data from the XGPS 160 as Gaia was.
    4) Background map incorrect at times. On one spot on my ride it showed a creek on my right when actuality the creek was on my left.
    5) Searching seems hit or miss. There is a local restaurant near my house that shows on the background map with the name, but it doesn’t turn up in a search.
    6) It’s very common for us adventure riders who ride off road to run a route with the track it was created from visible at the same time in a different color so it’s easy to tell if the routing has changed from intended track. In "navigate" mode, tracks set as visible don't show on the map. This is a bummer.

That’s it for now.

Thanks

Gino
  13. Tabbi

Tabbi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Depends what you´ll expect from both apps.

Galileo can´t calculate a route offline! In this point + for osmand.
    Route
  14. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The latest iOS update is supposed to include offline routing. I'm (not so) patiently waiting for the Android update.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  15. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Yes, I’ve been playing with the most recent version and it does do offline routing. I don’t think it’s very good, but it does do it.
  16. Tabbi

Tabbi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hm need checking the latest update. Couldn't route offline. Thanx for the hint.
  17. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    sweet, ok check it out
  18. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

no offline routing on the Android version. 3 start is the best I'll rate anything until it gets that functionality.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  19. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Guess they focus on iOS first. They sure don’t communicate with their user base. Guess I got spoiled dealing Guido about Scenic. Hoping he is able to get it working with external GPS receivers in an easy update.
    ohgood likes this.
  20. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Galileo emailed back and forth with me just fine when i had questions.
    ohgood likes this.