Galileo (guru gps) App

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by mosey.levy, May 13, 2018.

1. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK , you guys are a little above my skills on this stuff. I have a android phone and want to use it as a back up to my GPS. Would I want to use the Galileo for that or is there something better. Phone is a Samsung G9.
  2. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guess they didn’t like what I had to say.
  3. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Depends on your use. Based on my specific criteria, Galileo Pro is the best of the apps I’ve tried so far. My valuation of apps is based on track support, ease of visibility of the track I’m following, and clean intuitive UI. Galileo Pro is really in these respects, although I do have some issues with the visibility of the tracks. See my post where I copied in my email rob hem previously in this thread.

If routing on road is a criteria for you, Galileo is absolutely not the the right choice, especially on Android as it does no routing at all.
  4. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a experience with Galileo on Android and iOS that can comment on the differences? Thinking about replacing my iPad mini with a Samsung tabactive 2.
  5. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Please explain. Galileo routes for me, albeit only online.
  6. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Only the ios version does routing, and it does do it offline now, or at least mine has, but he was asking specifically about an android device, so no routing. I've also found the routing in Galileo sucks compared to apps like Scenic. Just not the best choice for routing.
  7. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I am looking for a backup to my GPS to save a trip .
  8. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Using the word "trip" doesn't really help figure out what you are doing. Is your trip all routes, or tracks, or a combination of both?
  9. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    I have Android and it does routing online. I can search for a specific address or search POIs like a dedicated GPS and it provides a route. I think that's what we are talking about.
  10. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Interesting, someone posted just recently in this thread that there was still no routing in the Android version. I hope it works better then the ios version.
  11. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Galileo's best use is just an electronic map with YOUR route drawn on it (that you import from some other source). No ads, no re-calculating, no extraneous BS. For many folks, including myself, that is exactly what I want most of the time.
  12. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Exactly, and is my interest in it as well as I said above. Just wish they would make the track lines a heavier weight and the arrow showing your location bigger. My eyes are shit, and even with my bifocal sunglasses on I find it a little tough to see. Add dust on the screen and sunlight too while bouncing around off road, and it's even tougher.
  13. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Android version should be getting offline routing very soon.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  14. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tracks, if I'm just traveling I don't bother with building a route. I'm doing the MABDR with a friend and this will be my 3rd track trip. He and I have the same Garmin units and I just thought I would try the phone deal just to see how it works. So I can use it as a back up if something happens to my GPS.
  15. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    If you’re using tracks on a Garmin, you must be young and have eyes like a hawk.
  16. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha, I'm in my 60s and too cheap to buy another Garmin product if my phone can be made to work. I'm using a csx60 and other than it's limited to 1000 way points I like it.
  17. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    NJDualsporter likes this.
  18. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mosey.levy likes this.
  19. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used it on the MABDR and it was awesome. The key was all the bookmarks or waypoints we added. So we followed the track all day and kept glancing down at the bookmarks on the way. Next camp site in 20 miles. No gas for 70 miles etc.
    GAS GUY and i4bikes like this.
  20. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you know after buying the app can you load it on more than one device? I'd like to put it on a old phone but I'm not sure about memory.