Galileo (guru gps) App

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by mosey.levy, May 13, 2018.

1. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    I have downloaded a couple of these and once downloaded they are available on my device even in airplane mode, no connection at all.
  2. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Forget everything I just said. Apparently I'm not a savvy as I thought. Just tried it again and it would not work. I stand corrected!
    i4bikes likes this.
  3. JustAnotherDude2

JustAnotherDude2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently used Furkot to plan a trip and Guru on my phone to follow the track. It worked after a fashion. The thing that I can't figure out how to get around is Guru creating "approximate" tracks that don't follow the road closely, i.e. straight line segments between points and the actual road meanders back and forth under the line or the line cuts across a long sweeping bend. This is very problematic when in an area where on- and off-ramps are abundant. Any suggestions how to get Guru to follow actual roads more closely? (I have the Furkot Pass so used the Guru maps export function)

Thanks,

Dude
  4. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I use Mappite.org to create a route. Then export that as a .trk to either my email or Dropbox. Open that .trk file with Guru. You should see a route and a track show up. Look at the imported file in the Guru Collections section and you can delete either the route or the trk file. It's confusing that the straight lines are considered "routes" and the mapping that follows the road is called a "track". Hope this helped! I set up a tutorial for the iPhone/Galileo Pro ( Guru) which will demonstrate this step-by-step. :)

https://advrider.com/f/threads/galileo-pro-quick-start-guide.1166708/
    mosey.levy and interactive3 like this.
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want to actually keep your Furkot Trip as a Track then make sure you Export the Furkot Trip using the Guru Maps GPX Option and then select the TRACKS option and the new High-Resolution Tracks option as you can see in the screenshot below:

0420B002-80DD-4718-B1F6-C3F562ED87D3.jpeg
    flexiflyer likes this.
  6. JustAnotherDude2

Oddometer:
    I tried that after I returned and didn't see any difference in the path Guru would follow. I also exported from Furkot routes with 1,000 points/route, 2,000 points/route, 4,000 points/ and 6,000 points/route with no discernable difference in the path Guru would follow. I confirmed Guru has no limits on number of points per route allowed. Any other suggestions to get Guru tracks or routes to better follow the actual roads in the maps?
  7. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Are you stuck on FURKOT? Mappite.org created .trks follow the roads really well in Guru.
  8. JustAnotherDude2

Oddometer:
    Not locked into Furkot though I really like it. I looked at Mappite but the map repainting on my system is SO SLOW. I will pull it up on another system to see if it's any better.
  9. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Mappite.org is a really light, simple program, should not be having any kind of issue. Are you using it on a PC?
  10. JustAnotherDude2

Oddometer:
    Mac in Brave browser (based on Chrome)
  11. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Not familiar with the Mac or Brave.
  12. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you're exporting a Route instead of a Track. In Furkot, you need to use the Guru GPX export option, select "Tracks" as the export, and then select "high-resolution tracks" checkbox as @DRTBYK described above. This will create a track with thousands of trackpoints that Guru plots.
  13. JustAnotherDude2

Oddometer:
    I've done it every way imaginable including what you suggest. Route with points as described, as a track using straight .gpx, a track using Guru .gpx, a high-resolution track using straight .gpx and a high-resolution track using Guru .gpx. I get the same outcome regardless of what I select. I confirmed in another mapping program that what I'm getting is what Furkot is outputting. I've sent this to Furkot to see what they can tell me.

I can't upload a pic yet or I'd show you what I'm getting.
  14. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you zoom in to view your route in Furkot, does it follow the roads closely, or does it approximate the path like you are seeing in Guru?
  15. JustAnotherDude2

Oddometer:
    It follows the roads closely.
  16. JustAnotherDude2

Oddometer:
    Update:

Worked with Furkot on this problem and it has been corrected for me. When I exported my route, the last day of the route would not export correctly. Natalia at Furkot was not able to duplicate my results. I sent my export file to them along with screenshots of the result and export settings. Settings were correct and Furkot got high-resolution on all days when they exported the trip so they were a bit stumped at what was causing the difference. They made a change in the server and asked me to re-export the trip. Just to be careful I cleared my cache in case that could have been the problem. In hindsight, I should have exported my trip before clearing the cache to see if the server was the issue or my system was causing the problem. Export worked as expected. :clap Natalia also mentioned there could be some instances where timing of updates in their maps and the maps Guru is using could cause some anomalies.

Natalia and Furkot were GREAT to work with. Fast responses and really wanted to help fix the issue. I will be using Furkot for all my route planning. I liked Mappite.org as well but Furkot is much easier (for me) at controlling waypoint placement and allows much more information to be attached to each day, stop or route segment. I also like having large amounts of POI information easily available and lodging reservation built in.

Since this is a Guru thread, I'll also comment that Guru will be my handheld GPS of choice as it is so much faster than Locus or OsmAnd (on my old Kyocera Duraforce Pro). I'll play around a bit with Locus but it's learning curve is much steeper and map download is cumbersome with the free version.
    DRTBYK and Tiger993 like this.