Game Changer ! Yamaha Ténéré 700 / @motogeo Review

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Sal Pairadice, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    I have to say this may be my next bike.

Gapscratch and lvscrvs like this.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I read "Game Changer" one more time....

:hair

Not directed at the T7, just the term has been beat to death.
    vt wingman and DavidM1 like this.
  3. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was very excited about the T700 until I saw how much it weighs.

It's still too heavy for any real off road, like all the other multi cylinder adventure bikes offered by all the major manufacturers.

Weight aside, the Yamaha would for sure be on my short list if I wanted a dirt road / gravel road bike that could do highway miles with ease. The low price and expected superb reliability of the Yamaha put it ahead of all the other multi cylinder adventure bikes, for me.

Regarding the overused term "game changer" - sorry, but if you want a REAL game changer it is the 2019 / 2020 KTM 690 Enduro ( or Husky 701 ). 330 pounds and 74 horsepower put the 690 in a class by itself. Of course those who own one already know this.
    Bors and LuckyPunk like this.
  4. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Yeh, another 700 Tenere thread in Beasts. ;)

Trying to catch up with all the superfluous Africa Twin threads.
  5. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    The KTM is $1700 more, single cylinder and has no wind protection. Its more of a bike for a day trip or ovenight. ADV bike vs enduro. And as a rider that tours, I really see the value of 200-220 mile range, But I'm with you on the weight.

KTM 790 Adv is probably the fair comparison with claimed 417 lb weight ( 468 actual weight) and $12,500 MSRP. For that $2500 you are getting a lot more bike. I'm not sure I need all that.
  6. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 690/701 is not all that and a bag of chips! Yes the power to weight is great, but the turning radius is HORRIBLE, even with stops fully adjusted. The narrow transmission sucks as do the peg mounting and controls, suspension is so stiff its almost non existent. I had a 690 and was never so disappointed in a KTM before. I really LIKE KTMs, have had at least one in my stable since 2001 but not the 690, its a SM that was poorly converted into an Enduro, NOT a dirtbike by any means.
    Janus9 and Bitingdog like this.
  7. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Everybody has a different version of their perfect bike . For me it was a KLR 650. I could ride a hundred miles and explore some new territory from there ( 2-up if we wanted ) and have it on a bike carrier of the RV . It's downfall was poor suspension and low power . I had a 690 and every other 6?? , lots of zip . It was disappointing in any other aspect of comfort or slow speed maneuvering . The T-7 is a game changer for me . I think it will be my Super KLR .:thumb I also have a WRR for closer stuff .
    Bitingdog likes this.
  8. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm very interested in the T7. Is it a game changer? Maybe due to it's low entry price and expected reliability. I don't think it's a game changer due to it's performance. If it weighed 50lbs less and had a range of 250-275 miles I'd consider it a game changer.

I'm still waiting for a moto company to make a bike that matches the performance of my old KTM 640 ADV but modernized and less vibration. Nobody has yet, which is a real bummer.
  9. Husky360C

Oddometer:

No one said the 690 was a dirt bike. The Tenere 700 is not a dirt bike either.

But the 690 has a much wider range of use than a T700, because of its lower weight.

Your claim on the turning circle of the 690 is true for older models but the 2019+ 690 has addressed that problem nicely and the turning circle is much tighter.

The new 690 is so much better than the earlier 690s it may as well be a completely different model. I owned a 2010 690 and I own a 2019 690, and the difference between those two bikes is HUGE. You almost have to own one to realize just how good the new 690 is. And the new Xplor suspension is a lot better than the suspension on the old 690s.

Again, the 690 is not a dirt bike. But it is a better adventure bike than most people realize. The folks who bought a 2019 690 know how good the bike is, but everyone else is relying on info that relates to earlier 690 models and the 2019+ bike is a whole different machine. I don't care if anyone else buys one or not, to be honest. But I am very glad I own one.
    grace likes this.
  10. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    My pinch of salt - T7 too heavy (by 50 pounds), 690 too tall (by 2 inches).
    DR650Pete likes this.
  11. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, I'll give you that much 2014 was my last experience with the 690. I do like the looks of the 701 but the stigma I have of the 690 as well as the price and narrow transmission just kills it for me. I also recall fuel pump and rocker arm issues on 690s and I think that is part of the reason people are looking at Yamaha, for reliability. Don't get me wrong, I do like KTM, I have had many even two 690's, an '08 and a '14 buying the later one thinking it was much better but not really. I have not had any mechanical issues with any of my KTMs so I'm not bashing them for that or service intervals like most folks. I guess my previous 690 experiences left me with a bad opinion of them.

I do think a few game changing models would be the EXC500 and the newer 300i bikes, those were major steps when they came out. Most everything else has been a rehashed bikes of sorts, its nice to see a few new ideas finally hit the market from any manufacturer. I do think people expect KTMs to be more dirt worthy than thier counterparts and I expected the same out of the 690's I had but that was not the case, hopefully the newer ones are that much better I may look at them again one day. For now I am waiting for the T7 which may be a game changer from Japan. Hopefully a game changing KTM490R will appear since there is no 390R.
  12. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:

The 690 has no windshield , less fuel range and it looks like a narrower ratio transmission .295 vs 283 . Not sure about the 2-up capability . Seat height on my 09 690 was way too high . The 690 would definitely be lighter to pickup than the T-7 :hmmmmm, wider range of use :confusedDEFINATELY NOT for Me . :eyes
    Bike Guy likes this.
  13. Husky360C

Oddometer:

It's relatively easy and inexpensive to lower the ride height of the 690.

Dropping 50 pounds off the T700 can be done, but it will cost serious money.
  14. Husky360C

Oddometer:

Windshield and fuel range for the 690 can be solved with money. The narrow range transmission can be solved too, but the cost of the solution is excessive. I would not want to ride very far with a passenger on a 690, but for an afternoon ride it is feasible to carry a passenger.
  15. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    5:30 Jaimie explains the reason for the T7.
  16. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. Pretty useless off road.

:-)
  17. ADStryker

ADStryker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Super" may be right, in that comparison. The T700 is only about 20 lb heavier, but has about 20-to-30 more ponies and is otherwise technologically updated compared to the KLR (which was much used and much loved for decades). I've never owned one, but I have ridden one, and on the basis of that experience I don't think I'd trade my 640 Adventure for a KLR, but I can see why people like them -- they're not exciting, but they are capable and easy to ride.
  18. Husky360C

Oddometer:

An expert rider can deal with the weight of the bike well enough to ride the bike hard for a video. If you believe the video translates to the T700 being a good off road bike, you're kidding yourself.
  19. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s OK for a ‘fatty’....
    And once the fuel capacity and luggage options are delt with, not sure anything else would come near it in a ADV sense.
  20. Husky360C

Oddometer:

Other than the KTM 790R, which is the current multi cylinder adv bike of choice for those who want the best all-around performance money can buy :D