1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Changer ! Yamaha Ténéré 700 / @motogeo Review

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Sal Pairadice, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:

I'd have to agree , If you were polling potential Ktm buyers .
  2. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The person to whom I was responding wrote "not sure anything else would come near it in a ADV sense".

The wording "anything else" brings ALL other bikes into contention.
  3. Adanac rider

Oddometer:
    I don't need 95 hp for my Adventures , 75 should be fine to get me to the gravel and dirt roads . Thats double of what the KLR had , It will be interesting to see how the 2 bikes compare on a rocky, rutted, uphill where they have to torque their way slowly along . That's where I will crown the best all-round performance winner :queenie. Cruise control would be nice for those long rides back from exploring .
  4. hombacher

hombacher Niederrheiner

Oddometer:
    Thank you, that you marked your reply with the 'joke' smilie, otherwise I would think, you made a joke without marking it. The Adventure 790 R shows the repeated problem and fail what KTM already did with the Enduro 690.

Re-engineering the good and nice LC4 620 to 640 into that 690 combined with the new frame layout means, it is a very good street bike as the Duke 690 shows, but it is just a want to be offroad bike, like the Enduro 690 proofs. The engine lost the little bit of grunt power, and never sorted out its problems in regard to reliability. It was and still is a kind of gambling, either you will have some nice kilometers, or you will spend your riding season sitting at home, while your KTM is at your dealer, both waiting for the spare parts.
    The frame layout is stable as hell, that means low speed cornering during offroad riding or touring is a nightmare. Even the fuel tank design does not help, it makes handling even worst, when you are riding at little higher speed. In comparison to the duke with the on top fuel tank reacts and corners much better.

Same same with the Adventure 790, starting with the street orientated seat position with far to close knee angle. Good for a street bike, sh** if you have to stand up several times a day. Comparable characteristic to the engine, it is not a good low revving, slow speed, technical sections offroad bike. It is a nice touring bike, if you love the typical KTM reliability and if you love it, to visit your bike at the dealer's work shop permanently.

This written, remembers me, how I had my little test ride with the Yamaha CP2 engine, some years ago. Parked my Duke 690 R at the dealer and rode away with a XSR 700. From that second and from the first kilometer on, everything was forgotten what KTM marketing made me believe in regard to the LC4 engine. Everything what KTM claimed, is the CP2 engine doing, just much better. Grunt power, unbelievable wide usable power and bullet proofed. I purchased this little Yamaha straightway, did not add any other kilometer to the Duke.

This is the status quo:

190927_Tene500.jpg

And even if you continue repeating 'because the weight' I do not see any Enduro 690 in between these two bikes. My wife on her Tenere and me on that trusty EXC 500 can do day tripping on blacktops, green lanes and gravel. I never heard her saying 'because the weight'.
    Both bikes cost much less each, compared to an Enduro 690 or an Adventure 790 R. Little and individual shortcomings can be sorted out by the saved money with ease and you will still have money left for touring, fuel and accommodation, etc.

So, I would not use the term game changer, but if you are looking for some adventure riding, there are some good bikes out there, it it can be a Tenere. But it will be never be an Enduro 690 which will come in my mind.
  5. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two key words there.
    MONEY being the first.
  6. Solarbronco

Solarbronco Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I looked at the 790 and 790R, the low fuel storage design was genius. The suspension and electronic wizardry was amazing. But what turned me off was all the crap you have to remove just to do basic maintenance to the engine. A real pain in the ass. The T7 is so easy to change air filter, to change sparkplugs, easy to check and sync throttle bodies. It's like it was built to be easy to work on and built to last. Plus that CP 2 motor can make 74 HP with exhaust and tune upgrade. And the suspension can be upgraded. In fact, I priced those jobs out and still came out less than a KTM 790 Adventure R.
    And I do pretty damned good off road on the T7. Heavy, but pretty damned skinny in the cockpit, can stand on the pegs and steer with the back tire forever.
  7. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    790R ain't all that. If you've ridden a 950 or 990 Adventure, you'll be sorely disappointed in the new 790. It's okay, but it sure needs a lot of work done to be good, and it'll never achieve greatness.

Not saying that the T7 will, either. I don't know. The shifter looks awfully street bike fragile, and kind of cheesy. Hopefully the cheese is only superficial.

$12k may be too low as a price point for someone who wants a midsize ADV bike with serious dirt chops. It sure as hell isn't the 790 either
  8. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    KTM 620/640 Adventure is an awesome bike. A real thoroughbred descendant of a desert race bike, rather than a middle of the road retuned street bike
  9. vander

vander full-time dreamer

Oddometer:

Another expert rider doing things:

https://www.facebook.com/197176387307269/posts/1115730218785210/
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    :augie

C25D5D7A-829F-48CE-B069-FB5C9B957CE7.gif
    ADStryker likes this.
  11. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    some of us that have looked for the right bike, compromised because it wasnt built(AT) are not going for the t7 or the crf450. waiting too long to get a converted street bike( overweight), small tank and useless seat.
    Kawasaki and suzuki are yet to replace their discontinues dual sports, better chance of them coming out with the right Japanese bike, 490 adv will be right there also. 390 adv doesnt look bad, 690-701 has 70 hp with 100 lbs less.
    the rider could have done the same thing on a ridgid framed harley as shown on the vid.
    DavidM1 and Adanac rider like this.
  12. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Wasn't the PC800 considered a game changer when it came out?
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  13. Adanac rider

Oddometer:

Everybody has a different requirement for their perfect Bike(S) . The 690 is 350 # with no windshield , limited range and a narrower ratio transmission . I can't remember what came first The Duke (Street)or the Enduro . Both Kawi and Suzuki have the capability to hit a Homerun , maybe even a Grand Slam .:drums :strum
  14. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Duke came first Enduro was a converted SM in my opinion. Like I've said many times I like KTMs and have one now as well. I would like to have seen a 390R or even 490R or something similar soon or anything similar from anyone else.

The problem I recently incurred with my local KTM shop which has had 3 owners in about 5 years is they now add about $1100 to the MSRP and my other local dealers will sell for MSRP so the price difference is even greater, which means I need to like the KTM that much more.
  15. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Still hoping.
  16. grace

grace Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    the husky 701LR (ktm 690) has something like 300+ mile range. no issues with fuel.

the new 690 is the closest thing to a unicorn. unless you've ridden the new ktm 690/husky 701, please refrain from commenting about these bikes. the new 690 greatly differs from the older 690s. personally, save slogging endless highway miles, i don't know what scenario would motivate me to select a t7 over the new ktm 690. one can accessorize the 690 and lower it, to fulfill the desired objective. there's nothing that one can do to a t7 to make it perform like a 690 -or even a 790.

seems to me the t7's primary "game changer" is base price. depending on how one's ride, the base price may just prove a bait.
  17. Adanac rider

Oddometer:

Well I have not ridden the new 690 , but I owned an 09 690 , have rode the new 790 R and currently own a T-7 . Everybody's idea of a unicorn is different , The new 690 still fills from the rear , has a narrow gearbox , and has no wind protection. Have you ridden the T-7 ?
  18. grace

grace Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    you're right i haven't ridden the t7. i've only ridden with a buddy who rides a t7 and it didn't appeal. all good. not that it matters, i'll ride it the next time that i ride with him. problem is that i'm having sooo much fun the 790 rally that i have no desire to swap for anything. i'll try the t7.

i don't how come i get myself into these conversations. how come i care at all. it's all good. the t7 is apparently a wonderful motorcycle and, for how i like to ride, i doesn't appeal.

the ktm 790 or 690 are not better bikes -just variations on motorcycles. i feel grateful that the t7 exists, for those who don't find the ktms or other motorcycles appealing. thank goodness for t7. enjoy it and i pray it brings you many years of joy.

i intend to avoid entering these conversations. to each her own. i pray that all our choices ultimately bring us joy.

i'm gonna go ride now.
    Adanac rider likes this.
  19. Arzach

Arzach never too old...

Oddometer:
    I owned a 690 with the rally raid tanks and fairing with few mods .I truly loved riding that bike . To this day I still think it is my favorite bike . I guess I had a good one as I never had mechanical issues . I now own a T7 which does not get my heart pumping as much as the 690 . however i am pretty sure that I will in the long run have as much fun . from rally oriented to adv oriented . Nothing wrong with that .For me it is like sailing .I use to cruise on multihulls now I have a (slow) monohull , feels like I am driving a Winebago yet the pleasure of cruising is still there . Same shit on a bike .
    Cruz likes this.
  20. Adanac rider

Oddometer:
    The 790 r's I rode with had been decatted and a lighter muffler which created a large space the size of a coffee can in the front of the swingarm. Perfect place for tools etc. I found the 2 bikes similar in handling and power characteristics . Seat height was higher on the 790 . The 790 C.C. and quick shift were definitely nice .