Garage Floor Epoxy Screw UP :(

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Holden, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Holden

Holden Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I finally painted the garage floor with one of those DIY kits.

I cleaned the HECK out of the floor, etched it twice, and followed the directions on the kit when laying it down.

As it dries I can see NOTICABLE differences in color/gloss... I have no idea what I did worng?

ANyoen else have this happen?

Can I paint ontop the epoxy or do I need to scrap it off and start over?:cry
  2. Adh007

Adh007 Needs to get back to work

Oddometer:
  3. Dano 407

Dano 407 One Man Wolfpack

Oddometer:
    If you did a good prep job, you should not have to scrape it off. Just recoat. But I am no expert, so get reading and post your results here so we dont fuck up also.

thanks,

D
  4. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you mix the pails of finish coat as you went or did you use one pail up, then go to the second, etc? Could be a difference between pails, hence the mixing suggestion. If your prep was thorough, and it sounds like it was, and the finished surface of the concrete itself was consistent, the difference has to be the coating itself.
  5. R_W

R_W wannabe

Oddometer:
    If you did use multiple containers of stuff--make sure they were the same color and gloss code (I don't think there are many choices for this stuff, but need to check). Then check for a batch code. If they were the same, call the manufacturer and explain the issue (nicely but firmly). They should have a solution, and if their customer service is worth it, they will give you the product to fix it.
  6. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may have etched some areas more then others, I would contact the manufacturer for input re recoating.

I have been told that recoating epoxy can be problematic but I would think the sooner the better before it cures 100%. :dunno
  7. apeirce

apeirce Two ears, one mouth.

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry but after reading the title all I could picture was a guy standing in the middle of his garage with his feet stuck firmly to the floor and his wife standing there with her hands on her hips shaking her head.

Hope you sort it out.
  8. Brucasso

Brucasso Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You probably rolled over some that was partially dry. Some idiots did a 40,000 sf area at my work and screwed it up two times in a row doing just that. Caused it to be checked, some areas shiny some dull...

No problem recoating as long as you don't get it dirty.
  9. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    It's a goddaymn garage floor, fer Christ's sakes; park yur car on it and stop whin'n:lol3
  10. fixer

fixer KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    +1