Garage-jack

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Gowyn, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Gowyn

Gowyn n00b

Oddometer:
    Any one have one of these? It sounds like a great idea, you roll your bike over it, it has four locking wheels and a rubber coated platform, you put your bike up on it's centre stand, unlock the wheels and then you can move the bike around.

What do you think? Anyone know where to get one? I've seen them on boxer disigns website, and also available from Wunderlich. Huge price difference though.

Attached Files:

2. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Gowyn,

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. The times I've needed a jack, I've wanted to get the bike up a couple of feet or more so I could work on the exhaust system, bash plate, etc. You know, waaaay down low. From the picture you attached, I'm not certain that it would meet that criteria. It looks great if you want to be able to move your bike around the garage in some very tight areas.

Am I missing something?

Marc
  3. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty neat but depends on the price. My harley buddy picked up a cycle jack at Price Club/Sam's (whatever) for $100. It doesn't have wheels but it raises the bike over 2 feet off the ground - I'm going to borrow it to put my crash bars on....

When I pull in my one car garage I park the bike on the center stand over a 2 foot square section of carpet placed upside down.

Then I just turn the bike 180 degrees and it slides around on the carpet square. Of course I can't move left or right etc. but it works to get turned around in the bat cave.
  4. Randall

Randall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The roll around can be found at ascycle.com
    A BMW shop at Roseville, CA I think.
    Price listed is $229.95 plus tax & shipping - ouch!

I think I have seen it at other sites too but have not paid too much attention to what sites they were.

As to the lift from Sam's Club and Cosco - -
    both stores carry a similiar like item up here but there are a couple of subtle differences. Both stores products have locking wheels (cost around $110.00). While in Florida a few weeks ago, I was in a Sam's and they also the almost identical product but theirs had an extra attachment on the top - a frame with V on each corner (total of four)for using on such things as lawn mower etc. (cost about $119.00). I have used none of these products myself but I think the Sam's/Cosco type would be of more use although it is really for a different purpose. These are rated to hold about 1500 lbs. Quality seems fair.

Randall
  5. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    Watch out for those cheap "motorcycle lifts"
    The bolt they use are often brittle and in one case the steel was too soft.
  6. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I saw that lift at costco, and it looks kinda skeery to me. Looks more like a forklift than a motorcyle lift. Besides, where are you going to put the forks under an oilhead? There's no frame down there. Are you gonna lift it by the engine/tranny??

YIKES!:eek: [​IMG]

I remember seeing a hydraulic lift very similar to what they use in a lot of dealerships for about $500, and that IMHO is worth every penny to keep from plopping your 600lb scoot on it's nose.

Ah...here it is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.sidecarcruisers.com/rli.html
  7. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    $197 USD at bmwscruz.com
  8. Gowyn

Gowyn n00b

Oddometer:
    Just heard back from Boxer Designs in Germany. $100 USD to my door here in Canada.

I guess I'll order one now, thanks all.

I also have one of the scissor jacks pistured above. It's fine for a bike with a cradle frame but I'm not going anywhere near my GS with it. Not sure if the engine/tranny could support the bikes full weight and I don't want to find out the hard way.

9. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    Saw a couple lifts at the cycle show.
    The usual grey electric or air compressor driven lift. I think 600delivered as a show special.

I have used the air version. Very very nice. Worth the price in chiro practor visits.

Drawback: it a platform. You still have to come up with a way to lift the bike if you wanna work on the wheels or suspension.

I'd probably stick a bunck of deck tape or grip tape on the platform as that metal is slick. Especially if you get some oil on it.

Also there was a fork type motorised hydraulic lift. Just like you find in a auto shop. Very nice about 500. Again I'd worry about stability but you can work on the wheels.
  10. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have one of the inexpensive under the frame type jacks I bought for $99 at Costco. So far so good. Not the highest quality, but the US made equivalent costs 3-5 times as much, and certainly isn't 3-5 times better.

http://www.pbase.com/lauren/bike_lift
  11. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    Seems to me that a lift that lifts via the oil pan with both wheels off the ground is a disaster waiting to happen. the ones that lift the bike as a platform are better but way more expensive. I built my own from wood, chains and a hoist. Still cost 200. The what do you doo when you want to remove wheels? For my VTR I got a swingarm lift/stand. Pitbull makes the best. I also got a front wheel stand. It requires a hollow steering stem but works great. and the hoist comes in handy for putting a whole front end on a frame.
  12. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Personally I think that the bike can fall off the stand just as easily either way. For extra security the bike can be strapped down to either stand.

The stand I have is very stable and not tippable. The bike sits on it rather securely, but for absolute security it should be strapped down.

I wanted a jack that allowed me to take both wheels off at the same time. I wouldn't mind several other types of jacks that would hold the bike at different heights, maybe one like a bike shop would have, but right now this stand does what I need for under $100.

You pays your money and you makes your choices.
  13. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    well duh.

Okay I did neglect to mention that my table has eye bolts for using tie downs.

so uh...where on that jack do you tie the bike down?

look at it this way: on a standard shop lift or my table the weight is handled at the outer corners beyond the bike. big box. big foot print. very stable.

on the inexpensive jack lifts the weight is taken on what is basically a small box. not very stable. think of it as an inverted pyramid. strapping the outer points to the center point does squat. Unless you put eyebolts in the floor or something. great things to stub a toe on or trip over.

just my thoughts..do as you like.