garanaska forest or park to park trail

Discussion in 'Canada' started by shores, Jul 6, 2018.

1. shores

shores ElBandido

Oddometer:
    looking to do some riding next month
    park to park trail says it should take a few days, even though it is only 230km max?
    i see 0 camp grounds along the way, other than killbear at one end and algonquin at the other
    if it takes 3-4 days to complete, where would one camp or lodge in the middle?

also, garanaska looks nice, is very close to home, no camping allowed inside so it would be day trips only to west and east paths
    if you had 3-4 days, which would you do?
    any other motorcycle friendly trails in the area?
  2. bkowal

bkowal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What kind of bike do you ride and what kind of terrain do you like? The Ganaraska forest is covered with over 200kms of single track. We do most of it in one day during the Great Pine Enduro, so riding it for 4 days is not really going to work if you don't want to ride the same sections over again. If you have a larger bike, the Ganny is really not the place to go, its really for pure offroad bikes. Yes you could take a big bike in there, but it really wouldn't be much fun.
  3. ChuckUFarlie

ChuckUFarlie Send lawyers, guns, and money. The SHTF.

Oddometer:
    I've ridden the Park to Park from end to end and back in one day before... so their 4 day estimate is way off.

As bkowal asked, what bike will you be riding? The park to park might be a touch more challenging on a big dual sport, and it can be very wet in spots, but otherwise is very easy riding... it is an old rail trail.

The only part that can get challenging is on the Eastern end near Kearney. There, the park to park actually turns into an ATV trail and eventually runs into Haliburton ATV Association trails as you near Algonquin Park. Here is my blog entry with video for reference: http://www.ramblinrider.com/2017/05/the-park-to-park-trail.html Note, I was on a DRZ.

If you are set on camping on it though, there are some free crown land camping spots just off the trail a few kilometres East of Orrville near Manitouwaba Lake.
  4. shores

shores ElBandido

Oddometer:
    I've got a dr650 with knobbies and am relatively new to off road riding
    Any other decent bike ridable trails within a few hours I could ride or trailer bike to?
  5. ChuckUFarlie

ChuckUFarlie Send lawyers, guns, and money. The SHTF.

Oddometer:
    Where are you starting from?

There are lots of trails up in Simcoe County (SCORRA is the club), and you can check out the TCAT as detailed in this thread: https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-making-of-a-cross-canada-route.594395/

There are trails all over Ontario. I learned a lot of them by doing group rides through the ODSC http://www.odsc.on.ca/.xenforo/index.php

But if you aren't too far away, I could show you some of the trails. I typically truck my bike up to Orangeville to do an Orangeville to Creemore run, or up to Flesherton for a Beaver Valley run...
  6. Taylorericjohn

Taylorericjohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I feel like the 3-4 day estimate is for hiking. I may be wrong though.
  7. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    Ya, I did the Park to Park about 4 years ago leaving from the exit 214 trail head. We made it as far as Sprucedale where it was washed out in a big way. So we turned around and rode it back the way we came, both directions, not more than 5 hours.
  8. shores

shores ElBandido

Oddometer:
    Haven't had rain in weeks it will be pretty dry now I imagine
  9. shores

shores ElBandido

Oddometer:
    I live near Owen sound but have a week off to go anywhere road or no road
  10. Taylorericjohn

Taylorericjohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you live in O.S. I would recommend picking your way on trails and cottage roads from Muskoka area up to North Bay, over to Sudbury, then back down onto the island. Take chi cheemaun and home.
    You could ride up to Perry sound and catch the P2P to get you over ish to muskoka area.
    Tons of great roads and trails from there
  11. H e a d N o r t h

H e a d N o r t h (take the high road)

Oddometer:
    As noted above, P2P timeline is likely noted for hiking (or maybe MTB?). However, I could easily see spending a couple of days if you did a lot of side trekking to pick up the Nippissing Trail, and various other gravel / dirt roads and trails in the area. If you go further off the P2P by highway a bit, you can also pick up cool rides like Hay Creek Rd (Whitney to Fort Irwin - legality questionable) or Troutspawn Rd (Hwy 60 to Dorset - fully legal) or any of the converted rail beds just SE of Algonquin Park. Lots of fun to be had in the area.

12. jlw

jlw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would they let you in to the provincial parks at the ends of the park to park trail if you arrived on green plated motos and wanted to camp ?
  13. OntarioHawk

OntarioHawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not likely. Operating an OHV is prohibited in provincial parks (Im a former Park Warden). I suppose you could push it through the campground to your site and out again in the morning. A friendly warden might put their blinders on when you ride by if you were really nice about asking them.
  14. jlw

jlw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the informative reply. I suppose trail side camping would be the next best thing. Perhaps enter park on foot to indulge in park amenities such as shower or beach.
  15. OntarioHawk

OntarioHawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depends on where the trail ends at the Algonquin boundary. Hard to tell, but it looks like the 'Old Bethune Trail' section ends around the Rain Lake access point. There's not much in the way of amenities at this AP, just a permit office for heading off into the backcountry.
  16. jlw

jlw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I also suspected limited amenities at the east end.

Look like the park to park trail west end is at the Killbear Provincial Park. I’ve camped there before. Many campsites. And campers.