Day 3 started off clear and sunny - just like all of the others day. Are you starting to see a pattern here? We packed up camp and rode down out of the Henry Mtns to the Notom Road. On GoogleEarth this looked like a pretty boring ride, but it was actually very pleasant and more scenic than I expected. We even saw a small herd of buffalo. The Notom Road is a fast cruise if the washboard isn't too bad. Just as we approached the Burr Trail switchbacks, another rainstorm moved in. It rained all the way up the switchbacks, so my video didn't turn out too well. We decided to take the side spur to the Upper Muley Twist trailhead. This is about a 3 mile ride down a wash. It was a fun ride. At the trailhead, there was also a short hike to an overlook above the Notom Road and the water pocket fold of Capitol Reef. A few years earlier my wife and rode around the Wovlerine loop in our SUV. The entire time I kept thinking this would be a fun ride on a dirt bike. So, we included it in our route. The main road is mostly pretty easy on a dirt bike, so we took the shortcut called the "Cutoff Road" on some maps. This cuts off the SE corner of the loop. I wouldn't recommend this route in a stock SUV, but it was a blast on a dirt bike. After we rejoined the main loop, I saw a tarantula crossing the road. That was the first tarantula I have seen in the wild. I thought I got it on video, but it is so small it is really hard to see, so I cut that part out of my video. We stopped for lunch at the Wolverine Petrified Wood trailhead. We changed into our hiking shoes (at least those of us that hadn't lost a shoe along the way). A friend told me the best wood is about 1 mile in. At about 3/4 of a mile in, I noticed a lot of wood on the side hill of the canyon. I wandered over to take a look while the rest of the group continued down the wash. When I got up on the hill, I could see a huge storm moving our way - fast. It was obvious that this storm was much larger than any we have had on previous days. I wanted to get out of there, but the rest of the group was farther down the wash, and I had no way of contacting them. The storm hit when we were about 200' from the trailhead. There were huge gusts of wind - one of which blew over Bob's bike - and a lot of thunder and lightning. We took shelter from the rain under a small Juniper bush near our bikes - not a great place to be in a lightning storm. The storm hit with a vengeance. Once the rain let up a bit, we decided to get moving and get out of there. Luckily the soil was quite sandy, so it wasn't slippery mud. But the rain came in so fast, it was running off the dirt and forming rivers in the road. I remembered that the road followed the wash for a little ways, and crossed it several times, but eventually climbed up out of the wash bottom. So we moved on. The wash got deeper and deeper as we went. It became really difficult to follow the road in some places. The berm along the sides from the road grader where the main clues. As you will see in the video, there was one place where I wasn't sure which way to go. I then noticed the berms to the left, and went that way. It turns out I had turned into Horse Canyon. The Wolverine Road actually went to the right. Horse Canyon was a merger of two streams; the one we just rode down, and the one we should have ridden up. Thus, the stream got really deep real fast. We went about 0.3 miles before the river got so deep that we dared not continue. We pulled off the road at a place where we thought we could camp if necessary, but it was only a few feet higher than the stream. We watched the stream steadily rise, and eventually it began to drop. We waited there for about one hour before someone noticed on their GPS that we missed the turn. Rather than risk riding back up the river, we found a cow trail that cut over to the main road. Once back on the main road, the stream quickly got smaller and smaller. I really enjoy dirt biking, and I really enjoy river running. But I found it best not to combine the two sports. Flash floods can have very serious consequences. The rain picked up again as we returned to the paved Burr Trail. We were glad to be out of the dirt, but wanted to find a place to camp as soon as possible. We quickly rode through Long Canyon and found that no one was in the Deer Creek Campground. Of course, there were warning signs at each of the camps saying not to camp there if there was a chance of flooding. We decided it should be safe, so we set up our tents and then the sun came out - about 3 minutes before it set behind the nearby sandstone cliff. Thus, we didn't have any time for our gear to dry out before loosing sunlight. We also felt relieved to be out of the flash flood, but we were also glad of the experience and the lessons we learned that day. It really was an adventure that day. What should have been an easy ride, only covered about 93 miles. But we were happy to be camping at 5700' elevation instead of high up in the Boulder Mtns as originally planned.