1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardiner Family Adventures

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by FamilyRider, May 24, 2016.

1. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    "The White Rim Trail is definitely worth doing, but it isn't my favorite trail. The scenery is good, but the ride is just so long that it kind of gets boring after a while. The worst part was the bumpy sandstone late in the day."

I feel exactly the same way. I will ride it again with someone who hasn't ridden it before but that's it. I'm not sure why they did the permit thing or at least in my opinion why. We passed many many groups of Mountain Biking Tour Groups with their support van's or trucks but only 2-3 other motorcycles (not groups) going in the opposite direction of us and about a 1/2 dozen or so jeeps. That was it.

I don't remember but it seems like we were required to ride the WRT in one day unless we got a camping permit or something. I would have loved to stop for the night at one of the campgrounds instead of riding it in one day. I'm guessing they (BLM or whoever) have done the permit thing to keep the campgrounds open for the Mountain Bikers use. Otherwise, in my opinion traffic or the amount of traffic was not an issue whatsoever.

Spring 2017 a group I was with rode WRT and went counter-clockwise as well. There was 12-14 of us, can't remember and we had to break up into groups of 2 or 3 separated by 30 minutes I think. Well, we may have started that way but it's hard to know your distance between groups once all are on the move. We were told it could be very silty with the talcum powder dust along the river before Hardscrabble. Thinking to get the puffy dust out of the way early was our thinking. The trail was rutty but no dust to speak of so I think the talcum powder is a myth lol.

We all met up at Hogback for lunch and again at Lathrup Canyon. Lathrup Canyon was my most favorite part but I know riding in sand is not for everyone. I don't mind and it was actually quite firm on the day we rode it. Dry but firm.

None of the groups rode Taylor Canyon and to tell the truth, I don't even remember a turn off but obviously it's there. Some rode down to the White Crack but those of us further behind didn't know the leaders turned off and we kept going. Evidently, the leading groups were riding much faster than the groups in the rear as they caught up to us before Lathrup.
  2. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Question for you, are you're helmet radio's open mic or voice activated (VOX)?

I have a set of knock offs but have never used them. They are open mic. I haven't tried them because my wife doesn't want me to hear everything she say's. Presumably, she's complaining about where I'm taking her or how slow I ride. She likes to ride faster in the easy stuff. :D
  3. FamilyRider

FamilyRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For a long time they have required a permit to camp in any of the campsites. I too wanted to take two days and stay over night, but camping permits are booked many months in advance - they are very hard to get.

As I understand it, you can have up to 14 or 15 mtn bikers in a group. They can have a support vehicle. But you can only have 3 motorcycles in a group. I think they should allow 4 or 6 motorcycles for safety reasons.

We talked to a gal driving a support group for a bunch of bikers. They were heading to Taylor Canyon for third 5th camp.

We also played leap frog all afternoon with two other groups of motorcycles. These two other groups really 'wanted' to be one group. The three fastest ones would take off while the slower ones waited. The faster ones would then stop somewhere and wait for the slower ones just in case they had issues. Thus, they spent a lot of time waiting. It would have been better for them and us if they stayed together as one group.

I enjoyed Lathrup on my first ride. We decided to skip it this time because we were getting tired. I kind of wanted to ride it so that I could claim riding all three spurs in one day, but let my kids vote rule (plus, that hot tub was sounding inviting).

Our helmet radios have push-to-talk buttons (PTT). VOX doesn't work well with dirt bikes because they are too noisy. You have to remember to plug in for the PTT to work, but they work great. I started with some cheap radios and headsets and eventually upgraded. From my experience, there are three factors for success; 1) good radios, 2) dynamic mic, 3) quality wiring harness. See my blog.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  4. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got your Blog page on communications bookmarked. You've documented the fails as well as the successes which will help keep me on the right track. The comm devices we have were a gift so I thought I'd at least try them out...after 3 years. Oops. Got a ram type mount from the same son for my phone since I now use it to navigate. Thanks for the radio blog page.
  5. FamilyRider

Oddometer:
    San Juan River

I know this is a little off topic, but my family enjoyed five great days on the San Juan River in SE Utah. This is a pretty mellow river, so we took my daughter and her three young children. We had a great time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For more photos and videos, check out my blog.
  6. FamilyRider

Oddometer:
    Middle Fork of the Salmon

The week following our San Juan River trip, we had the opportunity to run the Middle Fork of the Salmon. This is a very different kind of river. The San Juan is warm and mellow - the Middle Fork is cold and intense.

The first 20 miles are pretty much non-stop action. The river starts off narrow, shallow, and rocky, with a pretty steep descent. You are constantly dodging rocks and holes. It is very tiring. I was glad to have my two youngest children, Jamie and Jason, as backup rowers. We all got a good workout.

The river grows in size, so the last day has huge rapids. It is really fun!

Here are a few photos, followed by a link to my trip report, which includes more photos and a bunch of videos. I think these are my best videos yet. We had multiple helmet cameras and a camcorder. We had two helmet cameras in my boat, so I was able to edit with multiple camera angles. That really added some spice to the videos. Enjoy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My trip report and videos.
    TheAdmiral and The Virginian like this.
  7. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW, the scenery was breathtaking. Nice you didn't have to call in a MedEvac Chopper on this river trip. Did you go as one big "you know each other group" or were you intertwined with other groups. Sometimes it looked like a lot of rafts but it could have been just looked like more when you were camped together.

Did you have a guide in the group and/or do you have to have a guide in the group?

What a great adventure.:clap
  8. FamilyRider

Oddometer:
    We do purely private trips. I know most of the people in the group. I hadn't met the two on the yellow cataraft before, but one is a cousin to two of the raft owners (Barry and Layne).

We had four rafts and two catarafts. I used to kayak with Barry and Layne when we were younger. My kids grew up running rivers with them, and my oldest daughter married Barry's son.

Layne was the unofficial river lead since this was his 16th time down the river (only my 4th, and it has been almost 20 years). And Layne is the one that got stuck on the rocks in Sulphur Slide. So sometimes the leader shows you where not to go ;-)

Russ, on the blue cataraft, is a former river guide for the Grand Canyon. So even though we are a private group, we have a lot of experience in the group. In fact, I think all boat captains have been running rivers since we were kids.

We had 19 people out of a max of 25. One boat canceled at the last minute, or we would have had 23.
  9. FamilyRider

Oddometer:
    I didn't get out riding as much this year as I had hoped, but we had some great family trips.

Here is my annual bloopers video.

AzMtnThumper and TheAdmiral like this.
  10. despertaferro2008

despertaferro2008 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :-):-)aplaudir
  11. FamilyRider

Oddometer:
    I haven't been out riding much this year due to family commitments and a shoulder injury, but I finally got out for a long day on a scenic road in Wyoming...

NSFW likes this.
  12. FamilyRider

Oddometer:
    Dave6253's posts of the GCBAR inspired me to explore the Kaibab Plateau and North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I have been to the North Rim a few times in a car. I have even ridden most of the Rainbow Rim mountain bike trail. And I got a flat tire in my Jeep coming back from Point Sublime. But exploring the area on dirt bike is so much better. Especially in Oct when the autumn leaves are absolutely spectacular. My photos don't compare with Dave6253's, but they will give you a feel for the scenery and trail conditions. We absolutely loved our four days on the plateau.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The view from our first camp on the east rim.
    [​IMG]

An overlook on the way to Point Sublime.
    [​IMG]

The Ike's fire caused road closures on the west rim, so we had to route around it.
    [​IMG]

Camping at Point Sublime offered great views of the sunset and sunrise - but you need a permit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And that is just day one. For more, including scenic videos, check out my blog.
    AzMtnThumper and Utrider1 like this.
  13. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    @FamilyRider ,, I cannot view or open your images,, would like to see them. Is it just me?
  14. FamilyRider

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. I used links to my Google Photo site. I think that worked in the past. Can anyone else see my photos? Can you see them on my blog?
  15. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't see your photos either. Nobody can see my photos hosted by Google Photos either and not just in this forum. Something must be wrong with Google Photos. I started attaching my photos from my computer in the meantime. Glad I'm not the only one. I bet there's a lot more having the same issue.
  16. FamilyRider

Oddometer:
    I just tried updating my Kaibab post with photos loaded directly from my computer, but it doesn't seem to work.

Attached Files:

NSFW likes this.
  17. FamilyRider

Oddometer:
    Well that's weird. I tried to replace my Google Photo images with images directly from my computer, but it didn't work. But it did include each attempt as an attachment to my next post.

I just changed the setting on my Kaibab album to public. Did the photos show up now? If not, can you see the entire album with this link?
  18. Utrider1

Utrider1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am able to see them in the new link. Always enjoy keeping up with your exploits.
  19. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Yup, can see them through the link,,, nice photos.
  20. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can now see the photos in post #112. ...and the link works too.
    FamilyRider likes this.