Garmin 276C & City Navigator 6

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Joachim, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Joachim

Joachim Joachim

Oddometer:
    Hi, does anybody agree with me that the Find function acts weird? Like it does not find the obvious things that are contained in the database.

I have to juggle back and forth between the base map and city navigator settings, or change to find by name.

I am running the latest unit flash upgrade 3.30.

Joachim
  2. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you do an address find it uses the City Navigator maps
    When you do a city find it uses the basemap

It will only find addresses/cities/POI within approx 300 km of your location unless you use find near other location
    whereas MapSource on the PC will use the mapset you have selected and search all of Australia
  3. Joachim

Joachim Joachim

Oddometer:
    I was at Mount Keira Lookout on Sunday. After coffee and scones we decided to head on to Stanwell Tops to look at all the racey bikes. For the live off me - could I manage to get Stanwell Tops or Otford up using any combination of Find City, POI, etc or base map versus City Nav 6.0! (try finding Mount Keira). We all all knew the way, I just wanted to make the GPS do it. I did it graphically in the end with some impatient bikes reving all around me.

Is it just me that feels that there is something bugey in the firmware?
    Joachim
  4. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just did a search on City > Stanwell Tops (which uses the basemap) and it does not find it
    Then hit MENU > Select a map > City Navigator Australia v6 and it finds it

The city search using the basemap is a pain in the arse and really should use the same map as address search (City Nav). It seems to be done deliberately this way but I wish they would change it.

All versions of the 276C firmware have done this.
  5. Vampire

Vampire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can also find it from "Points of Interest" without having to go back to Menu.