Garmin 396 LMT-S cannot view or save routes, driving me INSANE

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by MiteyF, Jul 24, 2020.

1. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had this GPS on my Strom since January or so, and only used it a few times. I've been trying for the last few days to figure out how to load GPX routes onto it. I've tried creating the GPX files using different websites/programs, including BaseCamp. I've tried uploading the GPX's to the device using BaseCamp, MapSource, and manually through Windows Explorer. I've tried putting my GPX files into different folders through WE. Sometimes the device will recognize that there is a new route, but it won't let me save/use them. "Cannot save xxxxx".

It's driving me fucking insane. Can anyone help before I throw this thing through the fucking wall?
  2. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also, Garmin seems to think that the LMT-S isn't compatible with BaseCamp for whatever reason, and that I need to use MapSource. Mapsource won't even recognize that my GPS is connected, even though BaseCamp and Windows Explorer both do.
  3. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are LOTS of parts to a problem like you are describing.

Are you using the Garmin supplied USB cable? Garmin devices can be fussy about this.
    When you connect your 396 to your PC, do you see it in your File Explorer? Should show up as one or two drives depending on whether you have a memory card installed.

If you can see the device in File Explorer, you should see a Garmin folder. In that folder is a folder called GPX. This is the place to put GPX files.

Note: A GPX file is a container that can contain routes and tracks and waypoints and probably more than I know about. FYI

Does your copy of Basecamp have the same map as your GPS. I mean exactly the same, as in City Nav North America 2020.3 or whatever version your GPS has installed. Often a route created in one version won't work correctly in another even if the roads are exactly the same.

If you have the same map version in both Basecamp and the GPS then:
    Create a very simple route. Like from your house to the nearest Safeway. Something simple, but at least a few turns away.

You can export that route to a GPX file. Find that exported file and copy it to the GPX folder on the GPS I mentioned earlier.

OR

having created the route, you should be able to send it to the GPS directly. Sounds like that isn't working.

There are a few places to start. I'm being called to dinner, but happy to help later.

Good luck!
  4. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is the original Garmin cable. Yes, the GPS is recognized in Windows (and in BaseCamp). I can access both the internal memory and the micro SD. I have copied GPX files into the GPX folder in both the internal memory, AND the SD card.

My GPS says I have the maps "CN (city navigator?) North America NT 2020.30 Foursquare" and "CN North America NT 2020.30 All". When I go to the Map Manager in Basecamp, it lists "City Navigator North America NT 2020.3" and "Global Map". So, I assume I'm working in the same map.

I have created a few different, simple routes and saved them. I have tried to export them to the GPS through Basecamp, AND through Windows Explorer. If I turn on the GPS, sometimes (sometimes) it will recognize a new route has been loaded upon startup. Other times, I have to go into the Trip Planner, and "Import". Either way, when I try to import them, the GPS says they cannot be saved.
  5. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you know what you're doing.

I have not seen the 'Foursquare' nomenclature before. Having different maps on the GPS and in Basecamp usually means the GPS will try and recalculate the route but not complain about saving. Strange.

Just to be clear, when you say "I have tried to export them to the GPS through Basecamp" do you mean using the Send to Device tool? The one with the down arrow?
    That will send the route to the internal route memory of the device. For me it would show in Where To? > Routes

BasecampGPS.jpg

Did it used to work?

Is the WiFi on and connected to something, like your phone. Could it be trying to share with the phone in some way? Maybe turn off WiFi and Bluetooth and see if that changes anything.
  6. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used the "send to device" button, as well as right clicking on a route and "send to..."

I thought maybe I could do *something* with wifi, and wasn't able to get the GPS to connect to my wifi, so I turned the wifi and the bluetooth off.

While dicking around last night, I was able to create a route through basecamp and upload it, and save it on the GPS. My first success! However, when I tried another, it didn't work. I must be doing something just slightly differently that causes it to work or not. I suppose at this point I know it's possible, but I obviously need a lot more practice.

Either way, THANK YOU for the help! It's tremendously appreciated. The wife and I are about to head out for a few hours on a little ride, I guess we'll see how it works...

My next question, is how to delete items from the GPS. There are certain items (waypoints? routes? tracks? I don't even know) that I have purposely or inadvertently uploaded to the GPS that I now cannot delete, either through Basecamp, or on the device itself. Any help there?

While I'm not a particularly "techy" guy, I'm no slouch either, and this thing seems surprisingly difficult to navigate for a device that really only serves one function.
  7. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On my GPS, I go to Route Planner (may be Trip Planner), select a route and I get the option to Delete. For Waypoints, I go to Waypoint Manager, select a waypoint and touch the menu icon at the bottom. Delete is one of the options.

In Basecamp with the device connected:
    Click Internal Storage and you should see all the routes, tracks, and waypoints. Click or shift-click to delete as you desire.
    Click User Data on the Memory Card and do the same.

This is the only way I know to clear out this stuff without doing a complete reset of the device.

On my device, every time I power on it saves everything to a GPX file in the folder GPX > Archive. You might check in there for stuff you no longer need.

I put Route Manager and Waypoint Manager on my top screen to keep them handy.

Enjoy your ride.