Garmin 590 waste of money? Help Needed!

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by mslow, Mar 8, 2019.

1. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    I like to think I'm fairly well versed at creating routes and tracks to ride offroad.
    And I've created hundreds of routes, both for personal use and for rallies and other events.
    However, it seems my old 60csx was far superior to the 590slm I've had for two years now and still trying to bond with.

I could use the hive's help on this, and search has failed to answer my specific questions, so help a brother out!

Ok, so I have Locus and Gaia on my phone, and that's all fine a good. But I want to rely specifically on my GPS rather than expose my phone to the dust and elements all the time.
    My wish list is the following:
    Large bright screen
    Tracks shown in very thick colored line
    Base map to be black and white
    Ability to see where the track is and where you are at a glance

My issues with the 590 are that you can't make the line thick enough or bright enough to really stand out.
    When riding hard offroad, the last thing I want to do is stare for a few seconds to see where I am and which way to turn, Don't get me wrong, the 590 is ok, but has a ton of stuff I really couldn't care less for, like when will I ever need to control pandora or check my tire pressures while riding high speed across the desert?

I digress.
    If anyone here can help me out, I'm really struggling with how to navigate quickly and efficiently while in the woods. I miss the 60csx, if only they made it in a much bigger screen.

Thank you explorers!
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Never thought I wanted or needed a bike nav...till I got one....love it. Worth it's weight in gold..ish

Prob need the correct gpx files for you needs tho, I'd love to know myself, if any one knows chime im

Tom Tom rider 550
  3. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    there is information on this here.
    basically you need to modify the theme to change color and/or line weights. there's programs that do this fairly easily. right now i'm using a modified version of the france map theme and altho i would love to use the stock garmin theme, it seems that that's written into the nav itself and modifications made to any imported ones get overridden.

back up your old maps before tweaking them, rename all parts of the modified map, otherwise it wont load right. as far as te line thickness goes, you wont get it as thick as you want it, but it will be much better.
    Daboo likes this.
  4. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    I've actually done that, a great guy from the land of kangaroos sent me a file that helped a little, but still far from good when offroad.
    Know how when you navigate and it makes that big bright pink line? That's what I want the track to show up like, with a black & white base map behind it and a pointer showing where I am on the map. That's it, nothing too fancy, just bright and easy to see and make decisions to correct your path quickly.

Thank you though
  5. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep stupid that they have to change a good thing 60csx. F$&@ garmin or should I say vermin.
  6. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i think the palates are locked somehow. i've attempted to change the color of certain things that don't take. this lack of customization infuriated me when i was using the garmin 595, i have a nav 6 currently and its something that i've come to accept with the device.

i agree with you tho, i'd love full control over track/route width and color. doesn't seem like that big a deal to program.
  7. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can change the map themes using any of a number of free editors available online. Making a b&w map theme I think would be very tedious though. Some theme editors will have the provision to change color and width of Route and Track lines but I think you will find when you transfer the new theme to the Z590 the Track width will not change. The only other option I am aware of is to use an overlay map of the track.
  8. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The last thing smbjm said is exactly what I do. I use transparent overlay maps of my tracks. They are big/wide bold lines with integrated directional arrows that are easy to see even when going hard off-road. I just got back from Baja this week and it worked awesome. If interested, check out my thread with details on how to do them. https://advrider.com/f/threads/enhancement-for-imgfromgpx.1362931/#post-36851070

Joe
    mslow likes this.
  9. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I have the same "issues" with my 595. Looks like this will address most of them.
  10. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    Downloaded your files and will make an attempt at it. The idea is absolutely genius, having the track appear on the background map as an overlay rather than an actual track or route, so you only have to watch where you are in relation to where you want to be on the map. Brilliant!
    If this works, I'm nominating you for the Nobel Peace Prize...
  11. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help!

Joe
    mslow likes this.
  12. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a number of different Garmin themes that will take care of the visibility for you.

I recommend using the GPS daily for quite awhile to get used to the screen layout and how it works prior to using it when you have to. You'll pick the information off the screen far quicker when you are used to the operation.

Chris
  13. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    I thought the same but it's been 2 years and it's not gotten any better. It's just not good for off road use, unless you're on gravel or easy dirt roads.
    For the road, it's absolutely awesome, but I typically just use waze on my phone when on the road for the real time traffic.
  14. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    Ok so I tried it and have a few questions.
    When I go into the _reg folder and click the install prompt, a command screen pops up and disappears real quick. I can see that it keeps saying Access Denied and nothing happens in basecamp when i open it up.
    Also, when I copy and paste the .img file into the Map folder on my sd card, the map doesn't show up on my gps.
    Am i missing a step?
  15. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    You need to run the install file with administrative privileges. So right click on the install.cmd file and select "Run as Administrator". The cmd prompt will still just open super quickly and close as it's just adding a few pointers to your registry.

As far as the map not showing up on your GPS. That's strange! To make sure all the steps are correct, I'll post them here:
    1 - When you run IMGfromGPX it will create the _reg and gmap folders and if the check box is selected for "Include creation of gmapsupp.img" then a file called gmapsupp.img will also be created
    2 - gmapsupp.img is the file that you will do the drag and drop with. But, since each map you create will have the same filename, I normally rename the gmapsupp.img to something more useful like TAT.img as an example.
    3 - In IMGfromGPX, you have to select a unique map ID for each map you create. Duplicates on the GPS will be ignored. It's recommended to start at 17000 and go up from there.
    4 - Also, the filename for both on computer and on device must be less than 32 characters in length.
    5 - The drag and drop copy must be do the MicroSD card AND it must be to a folder called "Map". No s on that.
    6 - Once the file is copied to the device, power the GPS on and you should see a message saying a map has been updated.
    7 - Also, go into Settings, Maps and Vehicles, myMaps and the map should be there. By default the map should be selected...ie, it will have a check box.

IF, the above procedure doesn't work...which would be weird as I've helped dozens of people do this and it always works...but...there is another option:
    If you run the install.cmd and the map is showing up in BaseCamp then you can select the menu item Maps and then Install Maps and it should offer a list of maps you have to install. Pick your custom map and it should load up on the device just fine.

Let me know how it goes!

Joe
  16. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    BTW, in most cases installing the overlay map in BaseCamp is pretty useless as BaseCamp can only show a single map at a time. That means that your overlay map will just be a colored line and nothing else. When you get it loaded on the GPS, you can activate multiple maps and since the customer map is transparent you see the nice details of the roads and trails and the line on top of it.
  17. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the 590, but on a Montana you can Navigate a track. This produces a wide bright looking magenta line on the track. It also enables seeing Distance to Destination on the dashboard.

On the Montana you select the track, then select Map, and then GO. Or you can hit the Where To menu item, select tracks, and the then the track you want.
  18. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the Zumo doesn’t do any of that!
  19. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    It works now, it was the install file, I was just double clicking it and following your direction to right click and run as admin worked.
    My next question is that it doesn't seem to be a very thick line on the map, barely thicker than the one loaded on the 590. It looks thick but as you zoom in it gets smaller.
    Is this a setting on the gps?
  20. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    In IMGfromGPX did you select a "TYP file" called "Arrows_Border.typ"? If so and on the GPS you are seeing the colored line of your choice with a black border and arrows pointing the tracks direction then no one had said it was too skinny. It's a bit wider than the line when you do a route. It's 10x thicker than looking at a track. If in the pull-down for "TYP file" you don't see "Arrows_Border.typ" then you need to go back to my referenced post, download my updated files and follow the procedure for updating IMGfromGPX.

There is a setting on the GPS for how maps are displayed. It's under "Settings", "Map & Vehicle", "Map Theme". I use "Garmin HV"

Let me know how it goes!

Joe