Garmin 595lm or BMW Nav 6

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by ncbmx64, Jan 14, 2018.

1. CCRyder

CCRyder Champ

Oddometer:
    Ok so what is your experience so far with the Nav 6 ? I am so confused and tired of trying to figure out which unit i want to buy of the "Older " ones.... I have no desire to drop $800 for a new one, but I previously had the Nav5 on a 2015 GSA, and i remember the screen was pretty difficult to see in mid day sunshine ..... so if the Nav 6 screen is really that much improved, I will be in the wings waiting for someone to unload one down the line....... so how do you like yours ?
  2. ncbmx64

ncbmx64 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So far I am happy with the NAV 6. I have not used any other BMW NAV systems so I cannot compare it to any of the older ones. I do have a Montana and for street use I prefer the NAV 6. But the Montana will be much better for offload use. I have my NAV 6 on a KTM SAR so I don't get all the features of the NAV 6. But other than the tracker app not working I am happy with the NAV 6 I like the weather radar and love traffic camera features I use the traffic camera all the time very useful for me. As far as the screen goes I have not had any issues with it in bight sunlight.
  3. CCRyder

CCRyder Champ

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Now that you've had it a couple of weeks and had more time to use it, anything to ad ?
  4. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper

Oddometer:
    i'm gunna chime in with this.... i'm able to get the nav 6 to show a wider track width than i was able to show on my 595. you still have to edit a theme to do it, but you can get it to show a thicker line than the 595 will. still not able to get the thick purple line the same as route, but it is better.
  5. ncbmx64

ncbmx64 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry no new updates i actually havent had much time to use it much this last month
  6. jgiachino

jgiachino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you will, can you send the links too what cradle / wiring harness/adaptors/mount you used? Ii just got an SA-S and have my nav 6 from my 1200 I wish to mount. Any help appreciated.
  7. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don’t touch a 595, Garmin has long since discontinued software support for the device. If I were considering another nav, vs the mil spec tablet/nav app I now run, I would try to find out what BMW’s policy is for software support of the nav 6. Hopefully it’s more than the one year Garmin supports their devices. If indeed it is, I would go for the Nav 6.

That said, I would never go back to a dedicated nav.
  8. BBohemian

BBohemian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can u elaborate on your statement? I think you are mistaken.
  9. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only difference between the 590 and 595 is the software.
  10. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can assure you, I am not mistaken. They continue map updates obviously, but there is no more software development for the 595. You won’t see any software updates or bug fixes when you sync the device, this is straight from the Garmin development team.

At the same time I was speaking with them about the track line issue, I asked about another issue I was having where an incoming call from a number with caller ID blocked would give me “listen” and “ignore “ buttons, like it was a voicemail, rather than “answer” and “ignore”. Pressing listen would not answer the call, so there was no way to answer an incoming call from a number with caller ID blocked, like my wife calling me from home.

They said they would look into it. A few days later I heard back from them confirming it was a bug, but that I would have to deal with because the device was no longer supported for software updates. My 595 was 8 months old at the time.

If you want to buy a Garmin, have at it, but the only Garmin device I will have anything to do with now is my inReach, and I only have a Garmin inReach because my delorme died.

Garmin couldn’t care less about their customers. There busines plan is all about getting as much money out of their customers as they can. Put out a $1000 nav unit, and 12 - 18 months later it isn’t supported anymore???? WTF? No thanks, my Samsung Tab Active2 tablet I now use is light years ahead of a Garmin nav for being a proper piece of adventure kit.
  11. BBohemian

BBohemian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, that experience would probably frustrate the snot out of me, too. I have not noticed it - fortunately I do not use my 595 for taking phone calls.

I think both of my communicators (SENA and U-Clear) allow me to pick up or decline phone calls - which may be an option to get around the bug with the gps screen (although it is not fixing the gps bug itself).
  12. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s an iPhone only issue, and in the scenario where the nav is linked to your comms, and the phone linked to the 595.
  13. jgiachino

jgiachino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I kept my nav 6 from my BMW..have the 4 button BMW Cradle on Order + adapter from plug to bare power wires and the stock KTM PP Mount - I believe it's just fish ACC2 from behind headlight for powered and that it? Any idea how long wires are from cradle? Anyone cut them to keep excess wire length down (believe ACC2 is fused so dont need inline fuse from BMW Cradle)? Any other tips/suggestions?

Also, need a mount for my SDR...dont want perm mount - I have a Ram Ball on Bar Clamp (use my Montana with Ram mount on Dirtbikes and also SDR - but if I have a Nav 6 it's obviously better for street) ....I was thinking either a non powered mount (but I cant find one to fit - any help here?) or get the same 4 button, and cut wires as SDR ACC2 is easily accessible and. I can quickly connect/disconnect...any other cheaper powered mount anyone knows about?
  14. bkg123

bkg123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a new 1000XR, and since my Zumo 390 was getting pretty old and battle scarred I decided to get the NavVI as well. Purchased a Garmin 660/665 cradle off ebay for $125, and mounted the NavVI on the FJR...easypeasy. The good ol 390 is retired.
  15. TRJeff

TRJeff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the BMW nav 6 on the way out? Dealer at the BMW RA rally selling nav 6 at 20% off. Go or not?
  16. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doubt it is due for replacement,as it has been out for little over a year.
    The big rallies(MOA,RA)often have good deals like that.
    If you feel it is a reasonable deal for you,grab it.
    Otherwise keep an eye on the flea market,they show up occasionally.

JR356
  17. Rocketvet

Rocketvet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the Nav VI is limited on how many waypoints it will allow on a route? I recently did the Big Bear Dual sport ride and my Garmin 660 wouldn't allow the 3000+ waypoints the route contained. Other guys used the Montana or some cheaper Garmin handhelds and they worked fine. Pretty frustrating
  18. lkraus

lkraus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe the Nav VI capability is the same as the Nav V or Zumo 590/595 - 30 announced waypoints per route, with up to 125 un-announced shaping points between each waypoint. Routes with more than 30 waypoints will be split into smaller routes. Routes are loaded with the Trip Planner app.

Tracks can have 10,000 points, but you will need to follow the track by watching the screen, there will be no voice guidance. Tracks are loaded with the Tracks app. (But can be converted to routes by the Nav, with some limitations.)