GARMIN 60Csx no longer recognized in Basecamp??

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Stinky, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Stinky

Stinky Team Hematoma

Oddometer:
    I'm using Basecamp on a Mac. I've been able to connect my old 60Csx successfully for years, and now it no longer recognizes the unit. I'm getting an error saying the device is not compatible with Garmin Express.

I only connect to transfer tracks and waypoints so maps aren't really a consideration. Can anyone help, or do I have an expensive paperweight? Thanks.
  2. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it Basecamp or Garmim Express you are having issues with?

On my Win10 system:
    I have Basecamp 4.7.2 and it sees my 60Cx just fine. I can transfer data correctly.
    Garmin Express says it no longer supports the unit (as you mention) and suggests Webupdater. That program is inlcuded in the Garmin suite installed on my PC.

There hasn't been a firmware update for the 60 series for awhile so you probably aren't missing anything there.
    I use OSM maps and typically install them by connecting the microSD card directly to my PC and transferring the big map files. The USB speed on the 60 series is pretty slow.

Good luck.
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    With an Android phone that has OTG (USB host), an adapter cable and the GPS TRANSFER app (forgot the price, not much) you can move tracks/waypoints to/from that 60CSx. I don't know if there is an Apple version.
    Though dated it is NOT a paperweight. IMHO
  4. Stinky

Stinky Team Hematoma

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. So I tried again and this time it recognized the device in Basecamp (v4.8.8) but none of the data. Trying the "Express" method I get an error that says the device is not compatible with Express. Not sure what to try next.
    I hate to give up on a great device. My past experience with Garmin support has been less than stellar.
  5. Stinky

Stinky Team Hematoma

Oddometer:
    Update- After posting the above, I remembered that I had an issue similar to this years ago that was related to the USB cable. Sure enough, I located the factory Garmin cable that has heavier shielding and the cylindrical choke appendage on it, and problem is solved! I'm a happy camper. Apparently all USB cables are not alike. My guess is it's a shielding issue,
    Patch, 250senuf and RimBenty like this.
  6. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Montana still requires the Garmin cable. It will not read in baseCamp without it.
  7. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the poorly shielded cable might be the problem. What kind of electrical environment are you in? Any big motors, computer facilities, factories, powerlines, etc. around?

Also I suspect you can still use Mapsource to read and write data from the 60 series. You could then use conventional files to move data in and out of Basecamp.

There is a thread around on how to download and activate Mapsource from the Garmin web site even if you don't have any original discs. (Unless Mapsource is no longer on the web site)