1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Garmin 60cx vs Nuvi 500

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Mw650, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Mw650

Mw650 Bob

Oddometer:
    Currently looking at getting one or the other next week but can the Nuvi "map" the same as the 60cx as in if I find a trial I have not been on befor that I can put in points for reference later like the 60cx's track log?
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    One is an orange, the other is an apple.

If you want track features the only quesiton is 76Cx or 60Cx.

The Nuvi will save a track of where you went, you can upload to PC and send to others but you can not use it again in the Nuvi as "saved track".
  3. Nexus_Wanderer

Nexus_Wanderer Blue Thumper

Oddometer:
    I have an older GPS 60CS and a NUVI 500. From what I understand the 60CX is just an upgraded chip set and memory slot so my guess is that they work like the older 60CS.

The 60CX will definitely be a better unit for hiking and for ruggedness. I have beaten the crap out of mine for at leat six years and it still works. It does not look good though. I have the mapsouce topo software for my 60CS and it is OK but not great and you can download tracks to the software and then upload again. I am not sure if the NUVI has that same capability because I did not find it all that useful with the 60SX so I never tried it with the NUVI. I would not be surprised if you could download and then upload track from the NUVI because it uses a folder and file system for data so I would think you could get those tracks out of it. I do not use the track feature on either unit much. Garmin has decent web support and they will be able to tell you if it will work.

What I like about the NUVI 500 is that it has multiple modes and they can be configured for on or off road. When you are driving it gives turning directions. When you are in off-road mode it brings up a topo map and is a point to point device.

The other issue is size. I like holding the 60CS better than the NUVI, but I like reading the NUVI better when it is mounted on my bike. I have RAM mounts for both and I would suggest that you look at their mounting systems. I don't think they could ever fall out and they are very flexible when it comes to mounting.

Yes you can enter points easily in the NUVI, but since it is a touch screen you need to get to the correct screen and ti is called Coorinates unlike the 60CX that has a MARK button on the front. The NUVI takes a couple more steps to mark a location point.

If you have specific questions let me know.
  4. Mw650

Mw650 Bob

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Thats exactly what I was wondering about. Looks like I'll be ordering a 60cx next week.
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    60s do have some issues. Did you look at the 76Cx? West Marine had them for $180. The 60/76 work exactly the same. The 60 has a problem poping out of RAM mount, you must zip tie it in, then drag the cradle around with it all the time. They can also break the external antenna off. 60 is a very good unit but in my openion 76 is better.
  6. Mw650

Mw650 Bob

Oddometer:

Good point. There's a store in Cleveland too....so looks like I'll be giving them a call soon. Thanks for the tip.
  7. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are these workable units for off road rding? They seem to be affordable on flea bay.
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thread hijack but yes, they are good starter units (you will out grow it) except that Garmin is blowing out their 60/76Cx for under $200.

You also need:
    Handle bar mount
    Map softwoare
    cigerate lighter power plug for car/truck
    Hard wire kit for bike

When you add it all up, the saving on a used e-trex over new 60/76 there is not much difference.
  9. Mw650

Mw650 Bob

Oddometer:
    Both local stores near me here in Ohio were out or called for already. Ordered the 76cx on the phone while work.
  10. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    got this already.

why do i need this?

is this for loading tracks onto the unit?

These are cheap.

Otherwise will they work for awhile? Not going to go across the world.
  11. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only thing I hate about the 76 series is only 115mb of internal storage with no options for memory cards on my 76CS(?) don't know about the CsX one. I've heard the 60 series has expandable memory with SD cards.

But I do really like the size of the 76 but would take a 60 series if I can find one for a good deal:deal
  12. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    All versions of the 60 & 76 are identical. Yes all Garmin new "x" series have better Satilite chips (quicker, better in shadow) and have data card. The Data card holds the download maps and Active Log back up and can go up to 2 or 4 gig.

60s have been on blow out sale a various places, 76s have been on blow out sale at West Marine. New 62/78 are due out soon.
  13. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is what its about for me, I have always wanted more storage in my 76Cs, my only real complaint with the unit.
  14. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    You must have some sort of mapset to download to e-trex or 60/76. The mapset comes with Mapsource which is the software required to talk to GPS and manage tracks, routes, and waypoints. City Nav cost $80-90.

The cigerate lighter power cable is different for e-trex and 60/76 so when you upgrade, that is another cost.

Hardwire eliminates PITA batteries and is better for vibration.

The RAM handlebar mount is about $40.

The e-trex has great function but is a toy unit. It is great for backup for critical recording of tracks, you can just turn it on and put it in your pocket. However it does not have buttons on front for easy use while riding.

Again you need about $200 of accessories, most of which are not the same for e-trex and 60/76. In the end it is cheaper to just start with the big boy GPS than a toy then upgrade.
  15. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    This always seems to be the case with doing it on the "cheap"..

so whats a "big boy GPS"? A Garmin "Colorado"? or a 60/76 series?
  16. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok I have found some Garmin 60CX's on flea bay for an open bid. Whats a good price for one that has been refurbished and in good working order. Doesnt have any accessory cords which I will need to buy> This could be the deal of the century if it works out!
  17. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, kind of jonesing for an answer of some kind. not going to die without a new gps right now but toys are toys and something decent would be nice. any help here would be really cool! Garmin 60CX or Garmin 76????? Flea Bay????
  18. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    60/76Cx is off road standard both under $200 new from blow out sales. I would not pay over $80-100 for used. 60 is more popular but I prefer 76 as 60s have a couple of non serious issues but issues are issues.
  19. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    My main concern is that I am going to rattle the Tom Tom apart from off road riding. I took a small spill the other day and it went flying. Are the 76's tough when they are in a RAM mount? They seem to be a little cheaper than the 60's.
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very few (if any) reported problems with 76Cx in RAM mount. A few 60s have poped out. Knowing users put a zip tie around it to hold it in. Also a few have broken the antenna off with the brake hose.