1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Garmin 60cx vs Nuvi 500

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Mw650, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the lack of memory card for the 76 a problem, or if I am just riding around my local area and hace all the roads on the unit, there shouldnt be a n issue??????? Maybe there might be a memory problem if I am finding new routes and putting in lots of way points????
  2. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    You need to specify what unit you really mean. A 76 or a 76C or a 76CS are different than a 76Cx or CSx. The "x" is what makes the difference. Expandable memory on MicroSD card, better GPS receiver chip, ability to copy the active track log to the data card in .gpx. A non-"x" unit isn't worth buying IMHO.

In these units the only things on the card are maps and the .gpx recorded track files if you have it set to do so. Waypoints, routes, and tracks are stored in fixed internal memory.
  3. testpilot

testpilot n00b

Oddometer:
    right now, you can get a brand new 60csx from any bass pro shop for 219 bucks.
    These sold for near 400 bucks after taxes and still are around 350 on amazon.com...
    so I dont know how you are going to do any better than that.

the alleged added expense of ''accesories'' is not accurate unless you CHOOSE to spend lots of money-

MY TOTAL ACCESSORY EXPENSE= 5 DOLLARS
    1)...anyone who is willing to download Ibycus USA (for free) can put a coast to coast street map on the garmin 60csx for free. Tons of other free maps are avail for the 60 online including state topos for free.
    I have never even installed the mapsource software for mine instead loading free maps onto my SD card.

2)The ''cable'' for my 60 is a standard generic usb to mini-usb cable, one of which comes with the unit.. additional ones can be had almost anyplace for 6 bucks.
    (my magellan 1500 has a special serial cable, by comparison, that can only be bought from magellan for 40 bucks, oh..and its discontinued)

3)Run that generic cable to a 5 dollar USB 12volt power plug from walmart, and it will run off your cigarette lighter.

The only downside to the garmin 60's is that the maps are not real attractive, like they are on my magellan. The magellan can load as many maps on one card (including photo-images) as you have card space for, and the magellan can switch on the fly between all the maps at an instant.

The garmin 60's can only load one viewable map on the SD memory card at a time, even if there is space left on the card, and you need access to a computer to switch over to a diff map.

magellan 1500- prettier, smoother, more maps at once, slighty glitchier, and (non-routable) maps = $$

60csx- currently cheap, fast locking to sattelites, excellent accuracy, ROUTABLE ($$) map ability, lots of free non-routable maps, more UN-refined, less pretty looking maps.
  4. testpilot

testpilot n00b

Oddometer:

I would not even consider a unit without a memory card.

It offers the ability to keep large nationwide maps on your device at all times that show your exact street location/topo fix.

smaller, local maps are fine on internal memory of the older devices, but you will have to hassle with it every time you need to add a new spot, and delete the old ones to save space.
  5. jsorvik

jsorvik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't see the 60 csx on the Bass Pro Shops website. Anywhere else but fleebay to find them?
  6. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now this is some good info that really helps me be able to decide. keep it coming.:freaky
  7. testpilot

testpilot n00b

Oddometer:
    the clearance is not on the bass pro web site or advertised by them... its IN-STORE only. ($219)

I just bought mine there a week ago and they had more in stock @ chicago location. the markdown is on the GPS display counter... maybe call your nearest location to see if they have any if you are looking to pick one up.

There are supposedly other stores clearing out the csx, but I can confirm that at Cabelas its still selling at normal retail prices for $349.

FYI- my unit has the Mediatek gps chip/software not SirfStar.. locks on real fast at startup, quicker than my magellan triton 1500 can even finish booting up
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try West Marine, they had 76Cx for only $180.
  9. GetYourOwn

GetYourOwn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not on sale at west marine anymore at least not on their website
  10. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about the Garmin 60CS? are they good units? It looks like they cant take a memory stick????
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought it had already been said a few times above "x" means "Data Card" and good Satilite chip on 60/76/e-trex.
  12. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:

My bad, sorry I havent been foloowing closely enought. Thanks for the education.
  13. Deanman

Deanman Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, from the endless threads I've read, including this one specifically comparing the two models I've narrowed my search down to, I come to the conclusion I should buy them both.
    I ride a DR350 on paved roads, gravel roads, and trails not on any map. I want to be able to explore new trails, then find my way back to them again later, and share them with my friends. (and I can get lost going around the block if it's not a familiar block :cry) I also want TTS, turn by turn directions for the car, and good maps.
    Seems like I can't get all of this in one unit without spending a fortune, but can get both these units and end up with more functionality for less money than if I got a Zumo 450 or 550.

Does this make sense? Or can I do everything I want easily with just one of these?

Thanks for any input.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i own both for that reason. 60csx is on the dr in the woods and 500 is used on the strom & car.