Garmin 660 Motorcycle mounts?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Emoto, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Two friends of mine need moto mounts for 660 GPSes. Anyone got a used one they want to part with? They are on eBay for stupid money and they don't want to pay that.
  2. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Someone suggested SportysPilotShop.
    They have an aviation mount that reportedly works.

JR356
  3. Davidjohnson

Davidjohnson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Semi related question: I have a BMW Motorad V gps. I no longer have the r1200 GSA that it integrated in to, but want to use it on other bikes. What mount/ cradle do I need? Also, will I have any issues using it on other bikes? The thing wS nicely integrated in to the BMW showing service intervals, speedometer, engine parameters, etc.

Appreciate any info.
  4. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Nav IV-VI uses the same mount as the 660-665,so get that or the BMW 4 button cradle mount.

JR356
  5. Actionable Mango

Actionable Mango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went through the same experience as your friends. There is lots of demand from 660 owners like me to move their Zumo over to additional/new bikes. But there is no supply because Garmin no longer makes cradle kits. So the price goes up due to supply/demand mismatch.

In my research I found three options:
    1. Pay the inflated price for the real thing. This kit really is the best, as you will get the cradle and several RAM mounting options. It just works.
    2. The BMW Navigator IV, V, and VI cradles are compatible and available, but I think this is a bad choice unless you happen to have a compatible era BMW motorcycle. If you do, it's great because it is connectorized and plug 'n play. If you don't, then the connector is weird, there are buttons that won't be functional, and you only get the cradle with no mounting options. It's also expensive.
    3. Get a Garmin AERA 660 cradle. These are about $60-$70 and still available. They are 100% compatible after you cut off or grind down the center tab in the cradle. See picture below. There are two different versions that I've seen, both of which will work. One is "bare tails"--hook up the power wires and tape the rest so that they don't short on something. The other is connectorized. However, both AERA 660 cradle kits are cradle only--they do not come with mounts. So you will need either a third party mount that is specifically compatible with Garmin ZUMO 600 series, or any mount compatible with the AMPS hole pattern. These range from very expensive locking Touratech mounts to simple and relatively inexpensive RAM mounts.
    upload_2019-10-14_15-6-35.png

I actually went for option #4, which was to buy a new GPS. I have no regrets. The 660 has always been slow and laggy. It's almost 10 years old. The new ZUMO is much more responsive and includes lifetime maps and "free" live traffic/weather data (when connected to smartphone with data coverage). Yes of course this costs more, but I figured that was better than putting an additional ~$90 (AERA cradle + RAM mount) into an old, slow GPS that requires paid map updates and paid subscription for traffic.

ZUMO 395LMT-S is frequently on sale for $300 (that's the current price on Amazon in fact), and $90 is almost 1/3 that.
  6. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    So
    So are you suggesting a new zumo for each bike? Or multiple 396 mounts?
  7. Actionable Mango

Actionable Mango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally I kept the 660 on the old bike and put the 396 on the new bike. But having the 396 just makes the 660 seem even worse. I think the most painful thing is having a keyboard that can only accept a letter press every 2-3 seconds.
  8. Rkman1

Rkman1 Or cruiser Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a new in box zumo 660 motorcycle mount kit that I purchased accidentally a while ago thinking I was getting one for my 590. I probably paid $50 for it and would be glad to sell it for the same if anyone is still looking for one.
  9. JLBADVRDR

JLBADVRDR Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Nav iV and lost the connector mount kit which appears is the only way to plug it in to computer and get map updates. Does your mount have a USB connector that might allow me to connect the nav iV to a PC?
  10. JLBADVRDR

JLBADVRDR Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i laugh last because i think slowest..... I JUST discovered how to take the battery cover off the back of the iV and find the usb port I was looking for. Thank you, but I won't be needing the cradle.
  11. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    PM inbound