1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin 660 question

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Powershouse, May 17, 2018.

1. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer

Oddometer:
    My biggest frustration with the Montana is that it doesn't allow you to search for along your route. On my old Streetpilot if I wanted to figure where to fuel up next I could search for fuel along my route, which was useful, rather than fuel at all points of the compass.

Does anyone know if the Garmin 660 has this feature?
  2. Fastman

Fastman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sold my 660 about a year ago, but do recall it does not have that feature. If you’re navigating a route, back out to the main screen, press “Where To” and then fuel, you’ll get line of sight distances to gas stations all around you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    slane6 likes this.
  3. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have my Zumo 660 right here on my desk.

Can it search for all the fuel stops along your route? No.
    Can it search for gas stations? Yes, just like any POI search.
    Can it tell you where the nearest fuel is? Yes...

>Menu
    >Where Am I?

You'll get a screen with your location coordinates, the nearest address, the nearest intersection, and three search options:
    Hospitals,
    Police Stations, &
    Fuel

Pick your choice and you'll get a list showing where they are, how far away they are (closest locations are at the top of the list), and a general compass heading for each. Press on your choice and it will take you there.
    I've thankfully never had to do a quick search for local Hospitals or Police, but the Fuel option has come in handy on numerous occasions.

The 660 does have a Fuel Gauge setting where you can enter your distance-per-tank and opt for a low fuel warning to go off and let you know that it's time to start looking for gas. I've never used it.

But if there is a way to show all stations along a route, I've never come across it.
    Try Furkot.
  4. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    It most definitely does. Big fan of the Zumo 660.
    StuartV likes this.
  5. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    5B348F46-4A9B-4377-ACC3-0DE9822BB53D.jpeg
    Not true. When you look for fuel (or restraurants or hotels, etc.) the 660 asks you: Nearby, along your route, near your destination or other.

Easy, peasy

Attached Files:

6. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Well this is interesting! The plot thickens!

My 660 does NOT do what @Dan Diego's does; it only does what @Menhir's does.

Are there different generations of 660? Different software versions? Pretty sure mine has the latest update, but when it comes to Garmin and how the software works i am an idiot (actually, i think Garmin is the idiot for writing such user-unfriendly software!).

:lurk
  7. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here’s the trick: You must enter a destination. Once you do that, you again search for a location. In this instance, you’ll go to Points of Interest, then Fuel.

When you do that, you’ll see “Near” at the bottom of the screen. You may then choose from 4 options.

This is my 2nd 660.
    KaptSlo likes this.
  8. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both my Zumo 660 and Zumo 550 does as Dan's. Once riding your route, press 'menu' & there's a 'near' choice on the bottom banner that allows you to choose points of interest as shown
    Dan Diego likes this.
  9. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    told you i was an idiot! thanks.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  10. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not at all! I’ve learned an awful lot from fellow inmates. And I use my Zumo all the time. Ride safe.
  11. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm pleased to have been wrong.
    It's never happened before. (My wife disagrees, but I think she's wrong.:D )

In my own (feeble) defense, I never thought to do a search within a search. I just went through the manual that came with the device and it's not mentioned.

Now ...I have a question. Has anyone actually tried this feature to see if it actually lists all the fuel stops along a route? I just experimented with several different routes varying in length from 30 miles to several hundred miles and and in every instance the list ended well short of the destination.

I'm curious to see if others get the same result.
  12. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Never scrolled to the bottom the list of gas options, but I trust it would list them all if you want to go that far.
  13. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a question on my Zumo 660 (only have it for 4 years!!) what is this mileage appearing on the left top of the "computer" page. It is not zeroed by the Reset button or anything else? It is mounted, and stock, on a Can Am -14. Thks!
    upload_2018-7-11_14-33-4.jpeg
  14. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Although I couldn't find it labelled in the manual, it's a trip meter. There's a reset option that sets it back to zero.
  15. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you know where? On another forum it was said it is the distance during which it was connected to a sat signal... must have been installed at one point with a software update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Prmurat, the manual's here- https://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-00727-00&language=en&country=US
    The manual calls the screen you posted the 'trip computer page' (pg18 of the manual). Here's their reset instructions-

"Resetting Trip Information
    To ensure accurate trip information, reset the trip information before beginning a route.
    1. While on the map page, touch a data field to access the Trip Computer page.
    2. Touch Reset and then select an option:
    • Touch Max. Speed to reset the maximum
    speed.
    • Touch Trip Data to reset the information on the Trip Computer page.
    • Touch Fuel gauge to reset the fuel gauge on the trip computer.
    On the Reset page, touch Fuel Settings to enable the fuel gauge."
    Prmurat likes this.
  17. slane6

slane6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the fuel question: will the "Along My Route" option take into consideration distance you must ride to the gas station? Real world example: was getting low on fuel, pulled up fuel stations on my 660 and it said there was a gas station 1 mile away. The problem is there was a river between me and the gas station and the closest bridge was 8 miles back the way I had just come, so the true riding distance would have been about 16 miles... anyone know if it will calculate true riding distance vs as the crow flies distance in the along my route?
  18. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    It will calculate the true riding distance once you select it. When presented, it is as the crows fly...same for any waypoint or destination you search, before selecting it.
    KaptSlo and slane6 like this.
  19. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thks !! I finally found it... so there is an odometer, a trip data AND a gas mileage/left... Complicated for nothing???
  20. slane6

slane6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kind of what I figured :(