Garmin 78 - still a good candidate for an off road GPS?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by dieselcruiserhead, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    What program are you using to transfer your maps? You should be using Basecamp and MapInstall with the 62/78 line. Using Mapsource can cause problems.

Your maps will end up in the folder X:\Garmin (X being the drive letter for either your uSD card or the gps itself).

The maps can be in either drive. And they don't need to be called gmapsupp.img - they can be called anything you like as long as you keep the .img at the end. You don't need to load all your maps into one file - in fact it's better if you have separate files for each map. Makes it easier to update individual maps.
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:

Edited above, used MS.
  3. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    If you download each separately through Mapsource, after each successful download rename the file called gmapsupp.img to topo.img or R&R.img, or whatever, so you know what each map is.
  4. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    EmBeeDee was very generous in sending me a cable that he cooked up from "open source" parts. It fits very well with the RAM mount, and I have no complaints as to its service. It does shake out in very rough (VERY ROUGH) service, but can be re-attached on the roll.

I know he's got more information and some threads about his sources. It's worth a PM, in my opinion. I am well pleased with the 78. It is waterproof, inexpensive, and is proving a good navigator.

5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I figured that out and it worked. Don't know why Explore knows it is a IMG file without .img but 78 doesn't.

However, I also found they are in internal memory. I moved them to Data Card and GPS could not find them.

How much internal memory is available for maps and Archieve Tracks?
  6. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    1.7 gigabytes.

You might want to download Javawa Device Manager, to help with your new gps. It's a great tool which will tell you if/why and how to fix problems with your gps, maps and gpx files.
  7. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Hey Tim, glad to hear the cable's working for you.

The cable end came from http://pfranc.com
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    1.7 G free space as comes from factory? I have less than 0.2 G of maps now, think I will put all of R&R and Topo for west in it.

I can't find a memory "% full" reading any where. Still finding lots of 76 features missing from the new and better 78. More like "Bold New (smaller) Graphics".

I just wasted $12 for a data card. Since I have CN on PC might as well download it to data card.
  9. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Yes, 1.7 gig from the factory.

If you were using MapInstall, you'd get a reading on your gps storage information.

CN is locked to a device the first time you install and use it. What is it locked to?
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow more than I need.

Yes, old well known fact.
  11. adventurerideraus

adventurerideraus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

Just bought myself the 78 and going through the learning process.

At home I have a Mac and at work a PC. Can I interchange without any problems? Will I see the same info on both systems?

Cheers
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    No problem at all. But make sure you empty the Trash when you delete files on the gps with your Mac.
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing to do with GPS it is the software you have in your PC/Mac. That is BaseCamp, MapSource, etc. I am not sure they MAC/PC versions behave the same but they all talk to your 78.
  14. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Not without Basecamp or my favorite and still the champion of adv type routing, Mapsource.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mapsource = PC only
    Basecamp = Mac & PC . But it's different on each platform.
  16. travatron

travatron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I figured it out, something dumb on my part. No surprise there! Since I don't have a 12v cigarette lighter outlet on my bike, I spliced a battery tender pigtail into a fuse then into the Garmin power cord (from a cigarette charger). Works great now! Thinking I might make up one to do a 12v outlet with and just carry it in my tool bag.
  17. adventurerideraus

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your feedback on my question about changing between Mac and PC when using Basecamp with my 78.

Yesterday I went out for ride with some friends and was very disappointed when at times my gps didn't display the dirt roads we were riding on. They were gazetted roads so strange. I have Garmin Topo maps loaded, the latest version 4. My mate who uses a iPhone with an app called Mud Maps had a map called "Back Country 250k" and all roads showed on his!!

Any feedback on what maps you guys use would be welcomed. Can we load other maps like these into our Garmin gps? I have ordered Garmin's City Navigator map as I've heard that those might be better.
  18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    It's possible that the zoom level you were at wouldn't show the roads. Did you try zooming in? Also, is your gps set to auto zoom? I usually turn that off.

And to answer your question about other maps, yes, you can add other maps quite easily. If they are offered to you as .img files, you can just place them in the x:\garmin folder either on the gps or the sd card if you have one. You should be aware that maps are not transparent, and there's a hierarchy which determines which map is on top, hiding details of other maps.

What you can do with the 78/62 is create multiple Profiles, and have different maps enabled in the different profiles, so switching maps is as easy as switching profiles. This is a very powerful feature on modern Garmins.

Good luck; you still have lots to learn so be patient. It will be worth it.
  19. adventurerideraus

Oddometer:
    Thanks Emmbeedee,

Zoom level it was not, tried them all.

Interesting about maps hiding features based on hierachy. Can you expand on that please? Should I disable all other maps then?

If you do any off road riding do you use topo or normal street maps? I know that we are in different countries but map types would apply worldwide I would think.

Will have a go at profiles as you suggested.

Cheers
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    This is what Garmin lists as map hierarchy: (From this help page)

[​IMG]

But I don't see Australian maps listed. Regardless of the heirarchy, it's best to just use the map which gives best detail and have all the others turned off, ie not enabled. That's why I suggest you create multiple profiles and have your maps enabled individually in each profile. That makes it much faster to switch maps and attributes, and to tailor those profile attributes so they get the most out of each map.

The exception to turning all other maps off is the Basemap. You should always leave that enabled. I'm not sure why, but if you don't have it enabled, the gps works much more slowly especially when you're zoomed well out.

I almost always use an older product called Canada Enhanced Basemap because it allows me to be out as far as the 5k zoom level and still see the secondary and back roads.

[​IMG]