Garmin Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by goeslikeschnell, Oct 20, 2020.

1. goeslikeschnell

goeslikeschnell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Garmin Montana 610 and am just completely fed up with how crappy Garmin's software and services are. I've been doing some looking and seems like there really aren't any better options out there. Anyone have a navigation tool they love and is easy to use?
  2. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Garmin.
  3. mxracer9111

mxracer9111 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a Magellan TRX 7 for my UTV and my dual sport. It was a good unit but at lot more software issues than Garmin and further in between fixes. I also used a lowrance gps in my UTV and it is a pain with the SD cards.

I have used my Android phone on the bike with a tough mount. I have always had Motorola phones. Better build quality than most and I dislogged my camera inside of the phone twice.

So Garmin is still the best in my opinion. My Fenix 5x plus is more reliable for now than my Montana 700. But hopefully that will change with a future software update.
  4. empedrado

empedrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another Garmin
  5. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rugged Android device running any number of awesome navigational apps (depending on the trip requirements)
  6. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you think we're hiding something? :1drink

Wouldn't you think the discussions around here are about what most people use?
  7. stokerel

stokerel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It depends what you need the GPS for i.e. what kind of riding you do, use as rugged and reliable hand-held occasionally or often (think serious hiking, hunting), etc.
    If road-only, you can look at Tomtom, they've got some nice devices with similar ruggedness to the Garmin Zumo series.
    For road/off-road/tracks/etc. Garmin is probably still king, especially with rugged and reliable devices.

Or you can go on the smartphone/tablet route with many options around, various software, etc. For road-only I would only be concerned by keeping them charged and working especially in very humid or very hot conditions (or both). For off-road / hiking / etc. I would not rely on a smartphone as my only way out of there.
  8. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a Montana and just sell it.
    Now I have a Carpe Iter (rugged tablet) and it opened another world to me.
    I think Garmin has lost the battle with Android
    goeslikeschnell and flamingm0e like this.