1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Garmin and the Emperors new clothes...

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by KaytM, May 27, 2017.

1. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I actually use Basecamp, mainly because I sturggled with it for so long back when I used Garmins that I can actually use it adequately to create routes and tracks. I've only played around with Furkot a few times. In Basecamp I don't use Garmins City NAV maps, instead I use OSM Maps. The tracks and routes I create work just fine in Locus and OSMAnd. I can take other peoples routes regardless of what mapset they used and convert them into tracks, then convert them back into routes, Same way I did when I had a Garmin and had to deal with everyone using different versions of CN mapsets. Then all I do is send it over to Dropbox and open it up on the phone. Seems kind of odd, but this does work almost every time. Tracks are even simpler. Never had an issue opening up anyones tracks in the phone, and I don't have any silly waypoint limits like Garmins do. OSMAnd and Locus both handle them just fine. Here won't import routes and tracks, I use it strictly for it's POI database and auto routing.

The routes can follow ANY road that exists in the map database, and for around here in NW AR, OSM MAPS isn't missing any roads as far as I can tell. Pretty much every FS road we have around here is in there.

My S5 has a bigger screen than any of the Garmins I've owned. The font sizes are adjustable in LOCUS, not sure about OSMAND or HERE. Never really cared honestly.

Can manually zoom and even auto zoom based on your speed. I love the auto zoom feature for street riding. The beautiful part of it is there is no lag/rendering like you have with most Garmins.

Both OSMAnd and LOCUS can track you as you ride and save them. Just pull them into Basecamp and covert them to routes.

Wellllll........ I was supposed to move back to SC a couple weeks ago, but that sorta fell through. So for now I'm staying in AR.
  2. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry, you've stumbled on to a motorcycle forum by mistake, the Military, aviation, and marine forums can be found easily with Google.
  3. Billy Budd

Billy Budd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, Captain Call would have dragged you off your horse and beat you with a branding iron for a surly remark like that. "I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. road_apple

road_apple Hit the Trail

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry, you've stumbled on to a motorcycle forum by mistake, the Military, aviation, and marine forums can be found easily with Google.

Sounds like I found a GPS forum that people think is a smartphone forum. Nothing like people staring at their smartphones not looking where they're going...
  5. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:

Nope, it's a motorcycle forum. Some reason you're having a problem grasping the concept?
    amazing ricardo likes this.
  6. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Over the past TWO years I've been looking at both Locus Pro and OSMand+ on several different Android devices.
    They're getting better, but each has a major problem for my uses.
    OSMand+ changes the track color and name to one color and arbitrary names when I import a file with multiple color coded tracks.
    Locus handles the tracks correctly - although it can take up to a couple of minutes to load the tracks when you start it - but the rendering of the maps is still lacking. It has improved, but it's still lacking.

And the Android devices that I have - Samsung 7" tablet, Samsung Galaxy Core Prime phone, HTC Legend 510 phone ALL have one major issue - micro USB charging port. Too fragile for a multi week trip.

So, for my purposes, I'll stick with my Garmin's..... all have bright, easy to see and read screens, all handle a reasonable number of tracks, all have robust power connections that I can use, all have robust mounting solutions.

So, your uses and needs may be satisfied with other options, but I can get done what I want with what I've got.
    Would I like some things improved - sure! Too bad the 276cx seems under powered, but it may well work for me and what I do and the way I do it.
  7. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    sounds like...... you work for garmin....

exactly why would anyone stare at their phone any more than they would stare at their garmin? phone apps have voice nav with bluetooth (or a crude earphone jack) so you can navigate "by ear" without looking at the screen. i must be missing something.
  8. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took a 400 mile ride,round trip, over to Ellijay Ga today. Through Clayton on the way over, Suches,Helen on the way back. Threw together routes in Furkot. Saved gpx in Dropbox. Imported into inRoute and tried it. It worked great. Most satisfied I've been with an iPhone app. Got off route a couple times and it easily adjusted.

Have to keep using this one.
    Albie likes this.
  9. scfrank

Oddometer:
    You're right. That parts no different than a gps.
  10. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    There's definitely a learning curve to these apps. Some more so than others.
    EmmEff likes this.
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

1 honestly I have never tried to read road names on my GPS while riding, but I hear people do. would you please share that track that took minutes to load? the 14000+ km route I posted a few days ago took about a minute to load. I would like to compare yours to that one.

2 USB myth is still alive. I've ridden thousands of miles off road, and tens of thousands on, while using USB. I'm convinced this is only a myth. to sell people GPS for 10x the cost of phones.

3 hmm, robust sounds like marketing. I guess "our mount holds almost as good add that guy's that cuts up inner tubes to mount his phone" doesn't have the same ring to it. I've dragged my drz backwards with my flimsy inner tube mount. I figure that qualifies as robust.

4 please read the 276cx thread before you are disappointed .
  12. scfrank

Oddometer:
    When I'm riding in a strange area I always wonder, where does that road go? I like the way the Nav scrolls the next cross road.
  13. NorthernTraveler

Oddometer:
    I've read the 276cx thread.... still think it might work for my purposes. I'm like Big Dog in how I use them, and I use them ALOT. I don't use fancy maps and the only auto routing I do is to local gas/food/lodging.

If you look at my profile picture, you might get an idea of how I travel... that's at the end of a 15100 mile ride in 2009, coast to coast and border to border, 30 states.
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I'm really interested in comparing the loading speed of that gpx file you mentioned to some of mine, if you don't mind posting it.

were the USB plug problems on Garmin units, or on smartphones ? Ive had a creeping suspicion that the myth about USB plugs being "unreliable" are actually half true..... and actually testimony to the quality issues Garmin stand alone units have had over the years.... and subsequent opinion that everything with a USB plug must be "not robust" by comparison. I have two Tom Tom units with the supposedly worst USB plug ever -mini USB- that have a lot of drops from the windshield to the floor/pavement , and they are still tight. none of my phones failed in this area. one of them was submerged in lake water while my daughter used it to photograph fish, with a crack in the rugged shell (I don't use cases) and after drying it out, works fine today. no silicon used, it's my long term study for how much use they will actually endure.

the vibrations and crashes my phones have received over the years were likely unfairly easier than what those "robust mounting options" inflicted on your stand alones..... because mine are allowed to move and flex in the event of crashes, instead of holding rigidly against the terrain.

I have watched the rigid (robust?) mounts destroy both Garmin/tomtom stand alones and phones in simple tip overs that landed on small trees/rocks , and realized it's a bad idea to mount things do rigidly that one topple will kill a $900 gps or $30 phone, that holds my route for the weekend.

I'm learning by observation, through my own and others failures. each time I find a failure point, I share it.
    EmmEff likes this.
  15. NorthernTraveler

Oddometer:
    As I said, that big file was the complete Northern Route.... look in any region of the US to find that region file, download all 5 (two sections for the Midwest) and combine them together.

As the person who created that route, I obviously have the whole thing in one file.

So, parts of it have been posted for over 3 years.

Yeah, the USB fails have mostly on Garmin units, but have also had problems on both the HTC and Samsung phones.

Cracked the GPS case because the CASE hit a rock... the bike was partly upside down... them rocks in AZ can be tough! The way I ride and the places I go, the GPS's are much better off staying on the bike.

Oh, and I've been having problems with the USB port on my flip phone... pocket lint causes problems with the connector and the power cord not connecting.
    ohgood likes this.
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:

cool. thanks for keeping it informative instead of going personal. it's really hard to do that sometimes on the interwebs.
  17. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    I use the same 3 apps but I also have Waze for the city.
    Yes, its a power hog and a memory pig, and a data monster, but I dont think there is anything better.